The impending environmental disaster

Soldato
Quite a lot of news articles currently on the local and global environment. Rightly so it's becoming a hotter and hotter (excuse the pun) topic. Especially with the COP summit.

BBC News - Climate change: Fossil fuel production set to soar over next decade
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58971131

We are continuing as a society to move way off course For decarbonising our lives. We are constantly getting told we need to do more by scientists and yet the temp rises keep coming.

Half measures of 5k for heat pumps and small subsides for green initiatives don't go far enough. And apparently UK has a better road map than most countries.

People are now not having kids due to this issue. And I don't blame them. There won't be much left to inherit at the current rate in a lifetime.

Sunak has even said the cost of inaction outweighs the cost of action. Yet still we fall short.

At the local level the house of Lords proposals for more local changes such as cleaning up our rivers has been thrown out.

BBC News - Environment bill: Green groups' dismay as ministers reject changes https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58968871

I'm of the opinion we are well into requiring unrealised/unproven/unproductionised technology now being required to curb the problem. Luckily (for myself) I'll probably only feel the tail end of this being mid 30s.

I just don't think we have it in us as a species to turn the tide. It will only be when it's too late that people collectively might go "whoops, should have taken that seriously"

Do any of us think that we are going to escape this worsening situation?

Got to ask.

What have you done in your personal life to help?

Soldato
i'd rather we tried to cope with living with the change, rather than all the focus on stopping, slowing or reversing it

We have loads of technologies that would enable us to massively cut our energy consumption, if they're properly employed. Why wouldn't you want to use them?

We don't own the planet - what about everything else on it? Global warming or whatever we call it this week doesn't just heat the planet; ecosystems are being destroyed, which will have massive knock on effects. From a human perspective, that will undoubtedly compromise our food sources.

Caporegime
The other problem is lack of willingness to innovate or embrace alternatives in a rational manner i.e. people get stuck on X is needed to save the planet when Y might also work.

Not saying it necessarily is possible but for instance it might be possible to develop ways people can keep eating meat while removing the harmful side of it for the environment but many of the more hardcore environmentalists have decided everyone has to become vegan/vegetarian and won't consider any other alternatives. Same with nuclear.

Disappointed to hear this morning our Govt are looking at bringing in a tax on red meat and diary to force us all to eat less of them.

Soldato
Disappointed to hear this morning our Govt are looking at bringing in a tax on red meat and diary to force us all to eat less of them.
There should be a whopping tax on all imported meat - we don't need to import any. American factory farmed beef is awful in every sense and then needs shipping here too. British beef should not be taxed, and imo nor should british dairy.

Caporegime
OP
Got to ask.

What have you done in your personal life to help?

Not enough.
If I was to claim not having kids as a choice because of the environment I would be lying but as a bi product it's the single biggest contribution anyone can make.

Recycling is a bit of a con. It may in some ways be worse as people think its a get out of jail guilt free card. But most doesn't get recycled. And supply chain is poorly traced

I don't drive much but again that's a product of not wanting to commute rather than for environment. I think for me doing so few miles it's actually better to have a used petrol car than a new electric.

I do pick up litter from rivers and my walks by choice. I always pay more for clean electricity (quite easy now)

I don't eat meat but still dairy. But that's for animal Welfare. Again not the environment directly.

My gf who cares a lot more still likes the heating on for example so even when people care they still can't make the compromises.hence why we are doomed.

If correct this graph says a lot. And I don't see how it can be wrong.
U6KoqxHl.png.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not enough.
If I was to claim not having kids as a choice because of the environment I would be lying but as a bi product it's the single biggest contribution anyone can make.

Recycling is a bit of a con. It may in some ways be worse as people think its a get out of jail guilt free card. But most doesn't get recycled. And supply chain is poorly traced

I don't drive much but again that's a product of not wanting to commute rather than for environment. I think for me doing so few miles it's actually better to have a used petrol car than a new electric.

I do pick up litter from rivers and my walks by choice. I always pay more for clean electricity (quite easy now)

I don't eat meat but still dairy. But that's for animal Welfare. Again not the environment directly.

My gf who cares a lot more still likes the heating on for example so even when people care they still can't make the compromises.hence why we are doomed.

So nothing then.

Never ask someone to do, what you won't do yourself.
I'm all electric now. So I'm a good guy ;) :)

Caporegime
OP
So nothing then.

Never ask someone to do, what you won't do yourself.
I'm all electric now. So I'm a good guy ;) :)

Not having kids is more than anything else Combined. Even if it isn't for environmental reasons it's absolutely smashing anything else anyone in the west can do out of the park.
In the Western world

Soldato
I’m doing everything I can afford to. If anyone wants to buy me better double glazing, a heat pump system, solar panels (have 2 large south facing roofs) and an EV with the same range, interior space and towing capacity as my Duster; I’ll send you my bank details via a Trust message.

Caporegime
OP
I’m doing everything I can afford to. If anyone wants to buy me better double glazing, a heat pump system, solar panels (have 2 large south facing roofs) and an EV with the same range, interior space and towing capacity as my Duster; I’ll send you my bank details via a Trust message.

I do not understand why instead of things like HS2 government didn't put that cash into things like this.

Imagine how much impact it would have.
On the poorest too. And the environmental side.

Soldato
So your saying the if 80% moved to electric cars. It would not help?

A single person here and there adds up.
No, because the 6 biggest firms creating 90% of emissions will still generate that electricity using fossil fuels for as long as they are allowed to. They are allowed to because they invest billions in lobbying moronic governments like yours and mine.

The best you can do is keep your old car and drive it till it rots to absolutely nothing.

I do not understand why instead of things like HS2 government didn't put that cash into things like this.

Imagine how much impact it would have.
On the poorest too. And the environmental side.
Because major infrastructure projects keep people in jobs which means they can afford their own double glazing/insultation. Also, it removes x million cars from the road and changes entire lifestyles.

Arguing to get rid of major infrastructure to insulate a few poxy houses where folk can still leave the window open is a drop in the ocean and sucks up loads of money.

Caporegime
OP
There should be a whopping tax on all imported meat - we don't need to import any. American factory farmed beef is awful in every sense and then needs shipping here too. British beef should not be taxed, and imo nor should british dairy.

Totally agree.
I'd go further and tax meat/dairy in general more. But it's a guaranteed vote loser. But again. Tax needs to be used wisely to move us in right direction

Caporegime
OP
No, because the 6 biggest firms creating 90% of emissions will still generate that electricity using fossil fuels for as long as they are allowed to. They are allowed to because they invest billions in lobbying moronic governments like yours and mine.

The best you can do is keep your old car and drive it till it rots to absolutely nothing.

Because major infrastructure projects keep people in jobs which means they can afford their own double glazing/insultation. Also, it removes x million cars from the road and changes entire lifestyles.

Arguing to get rid of major infrastructure to insulate a few poxy houses where folk can still leave the window open is a drop in the ocean and sucks up loads of money.

Especially if you do negligible miles.

Do 10 miles a week.
But new electric

All the lithium mining, steel production, shipping. Just not environmentally friendly.
I'm not sure at what point an electric car actually becomes net benefit in miles per week.

Caporegime
Controlling population is the only answer really. China has now gone to a two child policy and I think is now going to a three it is only going to get worse. It is crazy to think since I was born that world population has gone up 50%.

Even if you managed to drop emissions across the world by 33% you would still be at emissions standard of the mid 80's which was already bad according to the experts.

If the increase in temperature has already been and gone past its "event horizon" and the snowball effect is already in motion we need to be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to be green.

Back
Top Bottom