Best password manager/2FA manager for multiple devices

Soldato
Well hi all. I'm sure I'm not alone in I browse using a few differing devices. Main one is my pc, I have a Samsung A12 phone that I use, along with a Kindle Fire 7th Gen (Fire OS 5.6.9.0) and an ageing Samsung Tab 3 on Android 4.4.2. I also have access to shared devices like a laptop and library pcs etc.

I'd like to be more automated/streamlined instead of having to manually write down passwords for all the different logins etc across all my devices, but....

How does it all work? How do I use a password manager on the shared devices, or on devices that don't support current apps? For example, I want to log on and browse this site on a public computer, how do I use the password manager to access the passwords/2FA stuff etc?

Many thanks for any help/guidance

Caporegime
I use a Google account with 2FA on.

Then I use that account to login to a Google chrome browser, which saves all my passwords.

The few that need 2FA as well - I use Google Authenticator on my phone.

Soldato
I use bit warden and then google auth for 2fa/mfa.

bitwarden applications on devices that support it. if using a device that doesn't support it just log in to my vault online using my master password and have access to all my passwords.

Associate
Regarding 2FA I've used Google, Authy and Microsoft Authenticator apps and I've found the Microsoft one to be my favourite. One thing it definitely does better is when you have to transfer to a new phone. The MS App simply syncs all your accounts with the new Android/iOS device. Whereas with Google's app I have to manually re-setup third-party websites one-by-one. It can be a pain, even if it's something I don't have to do that often. As I use the MS app for all of Microsoft's services it makes sense for it to be my main, although Authy has a similar multi-device feature.

With regards to password I've been using KeePass for years. Have a USB stick with an offline database. Probably could use a more modern service/program, as per some of the recommendations above, but it has worked quite well for a long-time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1Password (14 day free trial) or $2.99 a month, cheaper if you pay annually.

It's a full-featured password manager and can generate 2FA tokens. There's a handy browser extension which allows you to autofill personal/banking/login information with a single click.

Soldato

It's a full-featured password manager and can generate 2FA tokens. There's a handy browser extension which allows you to autofill personal/banking/login information with a single click.
Does 1pass sync across devices ala Authy?

Associate
My favourites are Roboform for the password manager and Authy for 2FA. Been using them for a very long time and they both work great across devices, PC, Phone and even my Apple watch.

Soldato
Whereas with Google's app I have to manually re-setup third-party websites one-by-one.

That used to be the case, but not anymore. Although their transfer still isn't quite slick.

I moved to authy for the multi-platform feature. That way i can generate 2FA codes on my PC if i don't have my phone next to me.

I'm curious why you chose 1password over something like Bitwarden? Unless it's something your employer is paying for, as far as i can tell 1password doesn't offer anything that Bitwarden doesn't have.

Associate
That used to be the case, but not anymore. Although their transfer still isn't quite slick.

I moved to authy for the multi-platform feature. That way i can generate 2FA codes on my PC if i don't have my phone next to me.

Ah, cool. I should have said I last did this nearly a year ago - so it's good that Google have been adding to their app.

Soldato
Ah, cool. I should have said I last did this nearly a year ago - so it's good that Google have been adding to their app.

Sounds like you might have missed the option. It's been there for a good few years. You basically export them as a QR code. But the problem I found was the number per QR was quite low, which meant having to repeat it a couple of times. So not quite as good as some of the others where you can sync the entire list over.

Associate
Sounds like you might have missed the option. It's been there for a good few years. You basically export them as a QR code. But the problem I found was the number per QR was quite low, which meant having to repeat it a couple of times. So not quite as good as some of the others where you can sync the entire list over.

I don't think so, i.e. it may have been easier last time. Certainly it has always been a bit more work when I upgraded my mobile phone to transfer and that maybe is clouding my memory of moving to my current phone. The MS app was seamless though - enough to prompt me to transfer fully to it.

I have never lost a phone (touch wood) although from everything I've read, I believe that would also reinforce using MS or Authy over the Google app.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Does 1pass sync across devices ala Authy?
Yes. I have it on my work machine, iPad, iPhone and gaming PC.

You can setup multiple “vaults” too, so your work logins can stay separate if you want.

I'm curious why you chose 1password over something like Bitwarden? Unless it's something your employer is paying for, as far as i can tell 1password doesn't offer anything that Bitwarden doesn't have.

That's not strictly true. Whilst the core functionality is the same, 1Password requires you to know a 32 character "secret key" when setting up new devices. In theory, I could tell you my login and master password and you'd still not be able to authorise a new device. The real reason (for me) is that I started using 1Password years ago before it became a subscription model and the annual cost is something I'm happy to pay. I shall take a look and test bit warden on a work machine though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

@Semple

I've just tried Bitwarden and I'm not a fan.
  1. The best features are behind a $10 annual pay wall. If it was free then fair enough, but I'm not going to switch to save $10 a year :p
  2. I can't find a way to have multiple vaults for personal and work. There's a "folder" option but I don't want my work logins in my personal vault.
  3. There's no way to manage bank accounts in Bit Warden. I imported my 1Password data and they go in as "secure notes", whereas there's a dedicated section in 1P for these.
  4. It may work fine if you don't use secure notes for bank details but I use 1Password secure notes to store software licence keys / numbers, and I don't want my bank details in there too.
  5. I couldn't get the autofill in the browser working like I could with 1Password (even with a reboot of Chrome).
  6. The UI for the browser extension is gash on Bit Warden. I mean, look at this...
1Password

Or using the field autofill...

Bit Warden

Side-by-side

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Also, for the Apple lot, 1Password is the only password manager with a Safari extension for iOS/iPad OS. It's far better than the keyboard integration that the other password managers use.

Commissario
Like @EVH, I've been using 1Password for years (I just checked, I bought it in September 2008 when it was on version 2) and it's never missed a beat for me. I know it's a cliché to say this but it just works.

Back
Top Bottom