Electric cars - talk to me

Soldato
As the owner of a 24kWh Leaf, I completely agree. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Leaf with a larger battery though, it's been a hilariously good car.

Thanks, will have a look at a 30kw then.

I am a bit concerned about the battery long life mode that has been removed as I will need to somehow limit the charge to 80%, based on the previous responses.

Soldato
As the owner of a 24kWh Leaf, I completely agree. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Leaf with a larger battery though, it's been a hilariously good car.

Add another +1 to that.

60 miles, year-round, is doable. But it's going to get stressful some days. Pre-covid, I'd do about 45 miles per day. Over that distance, I could hoon it down the road and not worry too much. But managing another 15 miles on cold winter days would require far more careful driving. And there would be days where you're driving the last couple of miles with the range meter showing "– miles" and the battery meter showing "---%". It would wind up being an unpleasant experience.

If you're worried about battery health then consider financing the car using a PCP agreement over three years. If it turns out to be a lemon then you can just hand it back and move on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I enjoyed my year with an i3 which had 52 miles range on the coldest day but still sufficient for my 40 mile total commute. I learnt a lot about efficient driving to eek out 5-5.2 mi/kwh but then spoilt it by getting a car with a minimum 180 mile winter range! Not practical for driving across the country regularly but a lower range EV could easily suit someone as a second car.

Soldato
No surprise but I still dont see 1 out of every 2 cars sold being a Tesla by 2030 like Musk claims. If that becomes true then it will be a sad world with so little choice in what we drive.
He's obviously wanting Tesla to become the automotive equivalent to the iPhone.

Keeping the phone analogy I've got a Xiaomi so I'll probably be driving a Hong Guang with no air con come 2030 :o :p

Caporegime
He's obviously wanting Tesla to become the automotive equivalent to the iPhone.

Keeping the phone analogy I've got a Xiaomi so I'll probably be driving a Hong Guang with no air con come 2030 :o :p

Sadly though it might mean everybody else will be looking at buying the new tesla 13, exactly the same shape as the tesla 12 but now with slightly upgraded cameras and different shape headlights and come in a few new colours but a few grand more than the outgoing model and people will be drooling over them.

Meanwhile through software updates, everybody who owns Tesla models 3 through 12 will get reducing performance designed to keep the battery life the same as when new ;)

Soldato
I drive a 1999 Honda Integra Type R that I've owned since 2007. My plan is to keep driving this car until I can afford a Tesla, plus in a few years I think Tesla's will be cheaper, then I'll still keep the Type R as weekend car / track day car.

Oddly I've never actually been in a Tesla, yet owned Tesla shares since 2019. I honestly think the Tesla story has only just started, and they will dominate the EV market space.

Back
Top Bottom