Fitted wardrobes - on carpet or carpet up to?

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread but I am now in the process of redecorating a house where a fitted wardrobe has been installed OVER a carpet that needs replacing. I have been able to pull up the carpet to where the wardrobe doors are, but I am yet to get the carpet out from inside the wardrobe and from under the bottom slide rail.

Am I really gonna have to take the whole thing down to get the carpet out from underneath the slide rail?

Or is there another way to get a new carpet down without needing to get all of the old one up?

Many thanks.

m.

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread but I am now in the process of redecorating a house where a fitted wardrobe has been installed OVER a carpet that needs replacing. I have been able to pull up the carpet to where the wardrobe doors are, but I am yet to get the carpet out from inside the wardrobe and from under the bottom slide rail.

Am I really gonna have to take the whole thing down to get the carpet out from underneath the slide rail?

Or is there another way to get a new carpet down without needing to get all of the old one up?

Many thanks.

m.

If it's been emptied and doors removed, then the shell is quite light (assuming we're still talking about PAX wardrobes here). I would get two people to lift the wardrobe, whilst a third pulls at the carpet from underneath. Shouldn't be that tricky.

Soldato
  • Remove the wardrobe and carpet beneath it
  • Cut around the wardrobe and fit gripper around the wardrobe
I have the same problem and I know if I do option 2 it'll bite me in the ass later on.

Soldato

Many thanks.

m.

No need to remove the wardrobe or old carpet underneath. Just cut round then fit the new carpet up to the wardrobe.

You're overthinking it otherwise, unless of course the old carpet under the wardrobe had water damage or was disintegrating etc.

Soldato
No need to remove the wardrobe or old carpet underneath. Just cut round then fit the new carpet up to the wardrobe.

You're overthinking it otherwise, unless of course the old carpet under the wardrobe had water damage or was disintegrating etc.

You'd just about see the old carpet that way though. Unless your new underlay and carpet is thicker than the old one. Naturally the end of the carpet is tucked round a gripper so the edges are dipped slightly.

Soldato
You'd just about see the old carpet that way though. Unless your new underlay and carpet is thicker than the old one. Naturally the end of the carpet is tucked round a gripper so the edges are dipped slightly.

I'm presuming the wardrobes have compressed the old carpet at the edges anyway by now by a fair margin. It doesn't take long for this to happen.

Unless using a very close pile carpet and super thin underlay then it won't be visible.

Although in re-reading the request, it sounds like an open fitted wardrobe where the carpet forms the interior floor covering, ie it's just a plinth and/or door guide rail at the bottom and poss sides if not in an alcove.

In which case, removing the carpet may cause issues with levels for the doors so if removed packers would be needed.

Pics @mrochester if poss?

Soldato
Depends if the wardrobes have a base. Both our double rooms had them fitted already by the previous owners. One is a cheaper option where it sits on top of the carpet because the floor is the base and it consists of a frame at the front which the doors hang from. The other room has a better option where they are full carcases so the carpet stops at the front edge.

Soldato
Flip equation is that PAX unless installed in a permanent way are just as changeable as a carpet. And just as flimsy that having to change them isn't that bonkers of a thought.

Damn, thought you were going to say move house

Yes, to be fair the carpet will probably outlast the wardrobes

Soldato
I have recently finished out bedroom with PAX and hat it sat ON the carpet without issue, I did this just to cover all bases should we wish to move the room around later on in the year. so far so good this hasn't happened :D but with a woman anything can happen.

Same hood carpets were down I paxed on top, no issues

Back
Top Bottom