Resident Evil 4' VR remake hits Oculus Quest 2 on October 21st

Soldato
I really don’t understand the love for this release - it looks janky, many features don’t make the use of VR (press A to interact etc rather than opening a box yourself), and plenty of actions that pull you out of the VR perspective (cut scenes, round house kicks etc).

A lot of this stuff would be getting a terrible response from people if it were a run of the mill or even indie game - but apparently our love for an old PS2 game lets us forgive this. It just strikes me as a sub par VR shooter, albeit set in the Resi Evil universe.

It's a far, far, better out of the box experience than Skyrim VR which took modders to add in proper VR features like being able to grab things naturally, holsters, and body presence. The same goes for Borderlands VR which had weapons glued to your hand and very janky VR interactions.

Given that it's a third person game originally, it's not surprising there have had to be compromises, but there are masses of proper VR features and interactions in the game - heck to open locked doors you have to get the key out, put it in the lock and turn it.

Also I think are various 'immersive' and comfort options, so some prompts may be if those options are off.

Anyway I am hyped for this. Just release the game already!

Associate
The roundhouse kick is a bit unfortunate. I get that spinning in a fast 360 for the round house kick wouldn't have been a good idea - vomit machine springs to mind. But, it'd have been better to replace that animation with a simple front kick and left you in first person perspective. I'm sure most of the 3rd person animations could have been replaced with something VR friendly. That's a real shame. The roundhouse kick is the biggest offender, as shown in that clip....

Promising short clip of gameplay and review

https://youtu.be/unvxDKOOrXo

Soldato
The roundhouse kick is a bit unfortunate. I get that spinning in a fast 360 for the round house kick wouldn't have been a good idea - vomit machine springs to mind. But, it'd have been better to replace that animation with a simple front kick and left you in first person perspective. I'm sure most of the 3rd person animations could have been replaced with something VR friendly. That's a real shame. The roundhouse kick is the biggest offender, as shown in that clip....

Path of The Warrior uses a button press for a kick, and it works really well.

Soldato
Just bought and fired it up to ensure it's setup correctly for tonight. If the game looks as good as the menu location (which is a church interior from the game) it's going to be awesome. Quickly setup all the options and it's got loads - you can even turn of Cutscene QTE's, and select between 1st and 3rd person transitions (I think jumping, ladders, etc.).
I'm going to play with the laser sight off, as I think otherwise it'll be too easy.
Looking forward to playing this tonight!

Soldato
£21 with the 30% off voucher cant go wrong with that, fired it up and had a quick go on the shooting range, i like the gunplay.

I tried the shooting range and the pistol felt great. The reloading action seemed very polished and not fiddly unlike other games.
It's amazing to think that this game is running on the same machine as Arizona sunshine, but looks so much better.

Soldato
Well it's pretty darn incredible. The only real issues is that as a left-hander it would be nice to have some more nuanced options as it swaps some buttons around which make it more awkward to play when set to left-handed. Switching to right-handed makes the buttons nicer, but the holsters are swapped around. Not a biggie. Also there doesn't seem to be a proper hand-oriented option.

For a native Quest game this really pushes the bar. It's incredibly smooth and plays very well. The guns and interactions are excellent, and the switch to 2D cutscenes or 3rd person anims isn't as jarring as it looks in the videos.

Soldato
I really don’t understand the love for this release - it looks janky, many features don’t make the use of VR (press A to interact etc rather than opening a box yourself), and plenty of actions that pull you out of the VR perspective (cut scenes, round house kicks etc).

A lot of this stuff would be getting a terrible response from people if it were a run of the mill or even indie game - but apparently our love for an old PS2 game lets us forgive this. It just strikes me as a sub par VR shooter, albeit set in the Resi Evil universe.

There does seem to be a gulf of opinion between those finding it wanting as a new VR release (compared to, say, Walking Dead Saints & Sinners) and those going loopy because it's Resident Evil in VR dude!!! :D

I never got into the Resident Evil series so don't have any nostalgic reason to buy it, although I certainly support the principle of porting existing games across to VR on the Oculus Quest. I have enjoyed the original Half Life and other FPS games ported onto Oculus Quest, but they were effectively free if you already owned the game on Steam, so must admit that I'm unsure whether £29 (£21 with voucher) is money well spent on RE4 VR.

Associate
There does seem to be a gulf of opinion between those finding it wanting as a new VR release (compared to, say, Walking Dead Saints & Sinners) and those going loopy because it's Resident Evil in VR dude!!! :D

I never got into the Resident Evil series so don't have any nostalgic reason to buy it, although I certainly support the principle of porting existing games across to VR on the Oculus Quest. I have enjoyed the original Half Life and other FPS games ported onto Oculus Quest, but they were effectively free if you already owned the game on Steam, so must admit that I'm unsure whether £29 (£21 with voucher) is money well spent on RE4 VR.

RE4 is a much more action oriented game than Saints. Graphically it’s maybe a notch down but it throws more npcs at you. It’s pretty fun so far, though I’m only a little way in.

Soldato
My Quest has turned into a RE4 machine. No game on the Quest has ever had me getting out my headset to play so frequently. If it has that effect on me, who has been playing VR for a few years and played most of the decent games, then I imagine people new to VR will be blown away.

Associate
My Quest has turned into a RE4 machine. No game on the Quest has ever had me getting out my headset to play so frequently. If it has that effect on me, who has been playing VR for a few years and played most of the decent games, then I imagine people new to VR will be blown away.

I've been on VR for about a year now, my legs are stronger than initially, but games like this still make me feel queasy after 20 mins. Not sure it's a game for VR newbies. I remember when I first got VR I tried to play Saints and Sinners and couldn't get through the tutorial - walking towards the bagged Zombies was enough to push me beyond my limit. I can play that for around 20 mins now too.

Back
Top Bottom