• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
I'm gonna ask...

What's a traversal stutter?

As you move across the game world assets load & unload (as well as other processes that have to do with changing the world around you), in that act there's a brief stutter before the process is finalised. This is quite common for open world games, but it manifests itself different from engine to engine. In fact for some it's not only reserved for open world games but rather they're present at an engine level, for example with Unreal Engine 4 it's basically baked in and there's nothing you can do about it, hence why the most horrific stutters are present for games using that engine, f.ex. Fallen Order is a prime example.

See also: https://youtu.be/7qFNSLvF_SU?t=3363

Associate
iu

Associate
I think the HDR in this game is just awesome which is a rarity among these AAA titles. Just took the below shots, reminded me of Crysis back in the day

screenshot0002.jpg

screenshot0000.jpg

Soldato
Is there some way to take HDR screenshots without faffing about and converting them to SDR for posting as standard JPG?

If I have HDR on a standard screenshot using MSI AB for example looks washed out ofc. NV's own screenshot feature saves them in .JXR which I can then open up and export as SDR but does not look like there is that much tonemapping going on in this game.

Soldato
OP
I have no idea how to properly take HDR screenshots, every time I try it ends up looking nothing like HDR

May least it's not Dolby vision that would be even harder/impossible to screenshot

Soldato
OP
I think the HDR in this game is just awesome which is a rarity among these AAA titles. Just took the below shots, reminded me of Crysis back in the day

screenshot0002.jpg

screenshot0000.jpg

These are not HDR screenshots though? My HDR display is not recognising them

Soldato
I had a go at farcry6 last night, got to the beech, 4k all maxed settings with a 3080TI, memory usage just under 11gb, to be honest I couldn't see any degradation in texture quality or anything, nothing blurry. Seemed to run fine, I turned a few settings down from Ultra to high and boosted my FPS by 5-10 with zero effect on image quality, prior to that however all on ultra still not degredation.

I was amazed running around on the beech and getting around 75fps at 4k with such impressive graphics, ray tracing on too. The benchmark makes the game look cack compared to the actual game.

Associate
I had a go at farcry6 last night, got to the beech, 4k all maxed settings with a 3080TI, memory usage just under 11gb, to be honest I couldn't see any degradation in texture quality or anything, nothing blurry. Seemed to run fine, I turned a few settings down from Ultra to high and boosted my FPS by 5-10 with zero effect on image quality, prior to that however all on ultra still not degredation.

I was amazed running around on the beech and getting around 75fps at 4k with such impressive graphics, ray tracing on too. The benchmark makes the game look cack compared to the actual game.

Probably because the first island where you are stranded isn't that demanding and the low-res textures are mainly seen on guns, Guapo, horse saddles and clothes which you haven't seen yet. If you want to see them, suggest you visit the Cortina Weather Station in the game (location on map below). VRAM usage always peaks at 11.4GB in this base. I took the below screenshots on just "High" settings at 4k.

Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-53-58-63.png

Low resolution texture on the pressure gauge on the nail gun in the base
Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-48-03-43.png

Low resolution textures on Guapo near the base. Looks almost like a PS2 texture.

Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-48-22-47.png

When I get a bit far away from the base near the lake, VRAM usage slightly drops and the high resolution assets are loaded back.

Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-53-39-74.png

Alternatively, when I turn on FSR Ultra Quality in the same scene, VRAM usage is lower and high resolution textures are visible again. This would have been the preferred option for me but unfortunately the game stutters badly every time I switch between weapons or I exit a particular area. Despite using just 9GB of VRAM, the game keeps flushing 400-500MB out of memory when moving around causing visible stuttering. The game just refuses to entirely use my VRAM with FSR

Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-52-36-94.png

Far-Cry-6-Screenshot-2021-10-22-21-52-46-74.png

These are not HDR screenshots though? My HDR display is not recognising them

Seems GFE is not capturing HDR screenshots for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom