86” TV opinions over projector?

Soldato
My initial plan was to go for a projector in the region of 100” but because of seating position I think that may be too big so came down to 90” ish.

Is it worth going for a projector at that size or should I go for an 86” TV? There are no windows in the room and the patio doors have blinds so can get a dark room even in the day.

It’s for a games room for occasional ps5, movie nights and some tv.

This is the tv I was looking at, is it any good or would I be better going down the projector route? There’s a lot of work for cables for the projector route as I don’t want any visible cables so a tv would be a much easier!

Soldato
Not sure about the quality of that TV but as an avid user of projectors if I could get a TV close to the same size I'd get a TV. No need to worry about screens, mounting the pj, fan noise, lighting in the room and no bulbs to buy. Just about finding a good quality TV at that size. 4k , 120hz possible at that size?

Edit. Yes it seems there are 4k 120hz at that size..
Buy 85 Inch Q70A QLED TV | 4K 120Hz Smart TV | Samsung UK

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd likely lean towards an 86" panel vs a 100" pj for the reasons mentioned above. Altho that does depend on buget and room conditions to some extent. What is the distance from seats to screen btw? I was about 3.5m from 120" screen in our last place and that was fine. Our next setup will be the same distance with scope screen the same height (so the equivalant of watching a scope movie on a 160" 16:9 screen). My point is ppl often think a certain size is too big for their viewing distance when in reality they're comfortable going bigger/closer. That's the nice thing about projectors - when you're not limited you can mess around and find a size you're really comfortable with and it's usually way bigger than first anticipated

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure about the quality of that TV but as an avid user of projectors if I could get a TV close to the same size I'd get a TV. No need to worry about screens, mounting the pj, fan noise, lighting in the room and no bulbs to buy. Just about finding a good quality TV at that size. 4k , 120hz possible at that size?

Edit. Yes it seems there are 4k 120hz at that size..
Buy 85 Inch Q70A QLED TV | 4K 120Hz Smart TV | Samsung UK

Thanks, I'll check out that TV. Its pushing my budget but is it worth going QLED over LED? Price difference is about £900!

I'd likely lean towards an 86" panel vs a 100" pj for the reasons mentioned above. Altho that does depend on buget and room conditions to some extent. What is the distance from seats to screen btw? I was about 3.5m from 120" screen in our last place and that was fine. Our next setup will be the same distance with scope screen the same height (so the equivalant of watching a scope movie on a 160" 16:9 screen). My point is ppl often think a certain size is too big for their viewing distance when in reality they're comfortable going bigger/closer. That's the nice thing about projectors - when you're not limited you can mess around and find a size you're really comfortable with and it's usually way bigger than first anticipated

The room is 3m wide so by the time I account for the screen and projector depth and sofa I would at a viewing distance of about 2.5 or 2.6m I would think?

Last edited:
Soldato
The room is 3m wide so by the time I account for the screen and projector depth and sofa I would at a viewing distance of about 2.5 or 2.6m I would think?

2.5m is about spot on for an 83" 16:9 screen. At least at my prefered viewing angle (~40 degrees). I'm not trying to talk you out of a projector as they're brilliant, but they do come with extra costs and compromises, and it probably isn't worth it. You also won't get pq close to that of a flat panel for the same money on a pj setup. At bigger sizes and if you could treat the room, it becomes more of a dilema, but if it's 83" vs. 90"/100" a flat panel makes sense for most people I think. Plus it's hardly small and will look badass!

Soldato
Thanks, I'll check out that TV. Its pushing my budget but is it worth going QLED over LED? Price difference is about £900!

I'm always looking to future proof where possible and get something that supports the latest specs without going too nuts. Black Friday coming up maybe some deals on the better TV's?
As for LED vs QLED I can only suggest looking in stores and reading reviews.

Back
Top Bottom