how did zoom become so popular?

Soldato
Easy to use across all platforms
Free for 40 minutes
No account needed
Very, very reliable, even over fairly poor internet links

Absolutely this for the masses.

I'd add in the SMB world it was a revelation for early adopters. Prior to Zoom, Webex was dominant and their business model had the ability to separate the voice and video provision. The idea that firms could bundle up better priced offerings to corporate customers and Webex was the unifying overlay. But depending on who provided the underlying tech it could suck big time. Zoom did away with all that - one unified platform that worked well and better suited than Skype at the time. The free 40 minutes was also hugely beneficial to early SMB adopters. We could provision a number of paid for pro accounts but keep free accounts for irregular users. Teams could do 30 minute stand ups without us paying. If you're in the MS ecosystem then Teams is pretty much free as I understand and a quality product. But if you're going to pay then Zoom's enterprise plans are pretty compelling. The addition of Zoom phone for low volume VOIP stuff has helped us a lot, their webinar stuff is well liked and the DTEN devices go down well with our regular users and it's all very simple to administrate from an IT perspective. We get next to no tickets raised for Zoom issues.

Soldato
Pandemic + loads of people needing a simple solution that is easy to use and just works...

I mean you can simply send a link and even Karen from accounting who can still barely use excel even after 10 years can just click on it and join a meeting.
I've been in accounts for 13 years...get it right :p

Gosh and I can even use SQL now :eek: mind = blown

We are actually moving to Teams eventually. Some of our clients/suppliers don't like using zoom so they have to send us an invite through Go meeting or Teams etc

Soldato
I request all Zoom meetings get changed to Teams. Before Teams, I preferred Webex. I'm at a loss of why Zoom is preferred, the mac vulnerability annoyed me as I couldn't uninstall it...

Associate
Someone mentioned it earlier but the single thing that boosted Zoom into the stratosphere is no log in/account needed and not even an app. Someone sends a link to you and you click it in a browser. Done.

Soldato
Teams is awful.

Give me back Skype messenger.

What are you finding awful about Teams?

SfB used to be good, but I guess as they started to transition the backed to Teams, SfB just became horrendous. It was a breath of fresh air to use Teams.

Now I'm finding it frustrating that we have to use teams and slack.

Man of Honour
Covid has certainly changed things.
We have now setup a 'Court' room in our department with a dedicated 42" monitor & camera and Court proceedings & Inquests can be done through Teams.
People come to the room and we even have an array of religious books they can swear on.
Two years ago my bosses could be at a Trial 50 miles away but now they pop in the next room.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Lack of 2FA?

giphy.gif

Associate
Use zoom for several hours a day. It's mostly flawless. Slack video calls are ok for a quick stand up but lack functionality. Skype for business in the past was hot garbage and found functionality in teams lacking. WebEx feels extremely dated.

I use zoom in a variety from one to one's up to 500+ people conferences. Even ran a music bingo over it to 100 people last week.

For personal use I use do WhatsApp video calls.

Soldato
Surprised at the hate for Teams. I've not had any issues with it, seems to be really easy to use and integrates well with Outlook. The only feature I wish it had was being able to draw on a shared screen, which Slack does.
I think implementations vary massively. If you work for a big firm and get regular drops, the Teams I use is probably very different to the earlier versions.

We now have break out rooms, coffee shop mode etc...

Caporegime
I only ever used Skype and Line.

Line is massive in asia apparently, most UK people probably never heard of it

Skype gets worse over time constantly though like they don't want you to keep using it

Back
Top Bottom