• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
So what version of linux would you recommend for someone thsy has never used it and doesn't want to be typing lines of code to get it set up and running?

Any of the main ones to be honest, Its down to preference. Most if not all the major ones you can run from a USB stick to try out.

I will state though if someone has said it's like windows they LIED to you.

Try this https://download.manjaro.org/kde/21.1.5/manjaro-kde-21.1.5-211008-linux513.iso That's the KDE variant it's as good as a place as any to start.

Soldato
So what version of linux would you recommend for someone thsy has never used it and doesn't want to be typing lines of code to get it set up and running?

Personally I'd suggest an Ubuntu-based distro, if only for the copious amount of help online for Ubuntu that just isn't there for other ones.

But, saying that, the stock Ubuntu desktop is just plain nasty, so something like Linux Mint (Cinnamon) which is 'basically Ubuntu' but with a much better desktop is a good way to go, imo.

Also, as pete910 says, loads of them now run as a 'live USB', so just give a bunch a try, make sure they detect hardware properly etc, see what you like :)

Associate
Promised the 3900X to my brother for his birthday to replace the 1800X :)
Seems I will grab a 5800X and wait for the 3d cache ones.

For what it's worth, I went 3900x to 5800x and found it a more consistent gaming experience with better minimum 1 percent lows.

Soldato

PopOS has been great on my 3600/rx6700xt for my ubuntu based distro when i first started out with linux. it contained everything to get games going. That said, EndeavourOS using the XFCE desktop is my favorite for the moment due to being based on Arch and therefor using the pacman package manager. Getting to know the basic of the package manager pacman is easy enough and I love pacman so much. I understand why many who are used to windows start out not wanting to be typing stuff to install "stuff", the thing is once you have done it a few times you realise how easy it actually is and in most cases much faster. I actually loath the windows way of installing apps now even more. I'm by no means an expert on linux or even an intermediate but still a beginner.

That said, if you just want to dip your toes a bit, PopOS is pretty good and with a good "app store". Just choose the right ISO depending on if you are running and AMD gpu or an Nvidia GPU.

Associate
Yep I love Linux, all my servers except one server for work are ubuntu or CentOS, command line stuff is very easy to get your head around once you start using it with fab features like crontabs, grep, history etc etc. getting a Django, Gunicorn Nginx setup working now on a blank server takes a few hours max these days.

Personally I have no probs with lots of OS's I really like Windows 10, Mac OS and Linux and having experience in all of them makes my dev life so much easier.

Associate
For what it's worth, I went 3900x to 5800x and found it a more consistent gaming experience with better minimum 1 percent lows.

Ryzen 5000 series just has better IPC and that what makes it win the day... I saw a 20% increase in FPS going from a 3700X to 5900X in MW for example..

Permabanned
Promised the 3900X to my brother for his birthday to replace the 1800X :)
Seems I will grab a 5800X and wait for the 3d cache ones.

You don't need "3d" cache ones. Either take the Ryzen 9 5900X today, or go for AM5 with DDR5 and Zen 4/5, whatever comes first...

Associate
You don't need "3d" cache ones. Either take the Ryzen 9 5900X today, or go for AM5 with DDR5 and Zen 4/5, whatever comes first...

But why not? It's the best the AM4 will offer and gives around 15% uplift average from zen 3. It's what I am going to replace my 3700x with and wait a few years for AM5 to mature.

Soldato
Yep I love Linux, all my servers except one server for work are ubuntu or CentOS, command line stuff is very easy to get your head around once you start using it with fab features like crontabs, grep, history etc etc. getting a Django, Gunicorn Nginx setup working now on a blank server takes a few hours max these days.

Personally I have no probs with lots of OS's I really like Windows 10, Mac OS and Linux and having experience in all of them makes my dev life so much easier.

You have to admit though, being on a mac, and the. Using virtual windows machines is a pita lol.

Associate
You have to admit though, being on a mac, and the. Using virtual windows machines is a pita lol.

Ha true although my main complaint is a Mac equivalent of remote desktops. My general setup is laptops are Mac, desktops are windows and servers Linux at Aws or digital ocean. We do a lot of app work and some times it would be nice to use xcode via the pc, I have tried using vnc but never really got anything working that was acceptable.

Permabanned
But why not? It's the best the AM4 will offer and gives around 15% uplift average from zen 3. It's what I am going to replace my 3700x with and wait a few years for AM5 to mature.

:cry: ok

everyone is free to do stupid things on their own wish

Seriously, while you "wait" for AM5 to mature "several" years, there will be already AM6 and better ARM offers ;)

Associate
:cry: ok

everyone is free to do stupid things on their own wish

Seriously, while you "wait" for AM5 to mature "several" years, there will be already AM6 and better ARM offers ;)

But that isn't true is it ? AM4 had 6 iterations of Ryzen, do you think AM5 will have only one ? Besides people like myself have invested a fair amount into the platform, £300 on motherboard, £250 for Ram plus many other items and then there is the whole hassle of rebuilding which for myself given I uses it daily for work is not something I undertake lightly so a drop in upgrade which over Zen 2 will give my upwards of 30 - 40% improvement doesn't seem that silly to me :)

Last edited:
Associate
There will always be something better.. I expect AMD to support releases on AM5 until 2025 at least unless the socket has some big issues with itself..

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There will always be something better.. I expect AMD to support releases on AM5 until 2025 at least unless the socket has some big issues with itself..
Yep. I will be waiting for AM6 before my next upgrade. Will be on PCI-E 6 by then. In the mean time PCIE 4 should be plenty as we are not even making use of it yet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But that isn't true is it ? AM4 had 6 iterations of Ryzen, do you think AM5 will have only one ? Besides people like myself have invested a fair amount into the platform, £300 on motherboard, £250 for Ram plus many other items and then there is the whole hassle of rebuilding which for myself given I uses it daily for work is not something I undertake lightly so a drop in upgrade which over Zen 2 will give my upwards of 30 - 40% improvement doesn't seem that silly to me :)
Don’t listen to him. He is one to talk with the amount of stupid **** he posts :cry:

Back
Top Bottom