Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Caporegime
Brandon Lee suffered a similar fate when filming The Crow, in that case somebody forgot to remove the primers from the dummy rounds. Depending on the circumstances, blanks/dummy rounds can be just as deadly as an actual bullet. I can still remember the demonstration given by our Staff Sergeant in Army Cadets with a blank round and a bag of cow's blood before handing us a shedload of blanks and sending us off into the woods for war games.

Ithought the gun had previously been used to fire live rounds and there was still a bullet stuck in the barrell so when the blank was fired it forced the bullet out like a normal bullet?

Soldato
Brandon Lee suffered a similar fate when filming The Crow, in that case somebody forgot to remove the primers from the dummy rounds. Depending on the circumstances, blanks/dummy rounds can be just as deadly as an actual bullet. I can still remember the demonstration given by our Staff Sergeant in Army Cadets with a blank round and a bag of cow's blood before handing us a shedload of blanks and sending us off into the woods for war games.
That’s why you had that big yellow BFA clamped to the muzzle. It provides enough back pressure in the barrel for the weapon to cycle and prevents any debris being discharged.

Soldato
Weren't the rules changed after Brandon Lee, all weapons are checked by 3 different people before shooting any scene. Sounds a little suspect if you ask me

Soldato
Where's the 3 times thing coming from?

If it was a 19th century western it's more likely to be a shotgun or something with a wide spread.

Shotguns aren’t lawn sprinklers. You’d need to be standing together at least 20 metres away to put pellets on 3 people using live clay/game shooting ammunition. A shotgun blank doesn’t have any metal fragments to go downrange as it has a plastic or paper casing.

Soldato
I heard on the radio that it was a blunderbuss type of weapon but cant verify

2 people, not 3.

So, a “blank” for a blunderbuss would be just enough black powder to make a suitable bang with a lump of cloth wadding to stop the powder falling out. Unless it’s fired at point blank range where gas gangrene and/or embolism injures are possible, it’s not going to kill anyone through projectile ballistics.

Soldato
Just saw this on Sky News.....awful.

Gotta feel sorry for Baldwin.......irrespective of any fault here, I think anyone would start to self doubt and blame themselves here.

Awful

Caporegime
Rest in Peace, Halyna Hutchins :(

Very sad, and very reminiscent of Brandon Lee in The Crow. This really shouldn't have happened again, someone has surely been criminally negligent here. And poor Alec, that's got to haunt you.

Commissario
That’s why you had that big yellow BFA clamped to the muzzle. It provides enough back pressure in the barrel for the weapon to cycle and prevents any debris being discharged.

I live by Salisbury plain, and see soldiers training all the time. I’ve always wondered that the yellow things was, that’s attached to the front of their rifles.

RIP to the poor girl who lost her life.:(

Caporegime
So, a “blank” for a blunderbuss would be just enough black powder to make a suitable bang with a lump of cloth wadding to stop the powder falling out. Unless it’s fired at point blank range where gas gangrene and/or embolism injures are possible, it’s not going to kill anyone through projectile ballistics.

Or something accidently went down the barrel of the blunderbuss which then ended up coming out as a projectile?

Wea re all guessing, I am sure we will know the details soon.

On the yellow muzzle clamp, I never knew that. I knew that meant the gunw as firing blanks but assumed it was just an indicator. So if you saw a gun with a yellow muzzle you knew it was blanks.

Man of Honour

It is possible "blunderbusses" for film use is a more modern firearm underneath.

Back
Top Bottom