Unknown callers not blocked but NHS calls not getting through

Associate
Yesterday I missed an important NHS consultation: I received no phone call but they say they called. My Android phone settings has no Blocked Numbers, and the setting to 'Block calls from unidentified callers' has always been turned off. Lebara, my network provider, tell me they don’t block any calls. I rang my number from another phone using 141 and the call came through ok as 'Unknown'.

I have taken calls from the same source before: the two things that have changed are my network provider and my phone. Previously I had an iPhone, now I have a Xiaomi Poco X3 (Android 11). Xiaomi assure me they have no hidden apps that would override call block settings on the phone.

I am at a loss what to do. If the appointment is rearranged, the same thing will only happen again. I am assuming that they did what they said and actually used the correct number. Does using 141 actually test whether number withheld calls come through? Is there some setting I’ve overlooked?

Associate
Have you checked signal strength since switching networks? Maybe you took calls ok from the same location before because your first network had decent signal and your new one doesn't? No outages (planned or unplanned) with your mobile network yesterday?

Might also be worth enabling voicemail if you haven't already. If it's a planned appointment and you miss their call, it's probably unlikely they'll leave a voicemail, but you never know; they might try to leave a "we tried to ring" voicemail just as proof.

If worst comes to worst, I'd probably just stick the SIM back into your iPhone (if you still have it) till the call is done with, then faff with the Poco later.

Man of Honour
I had something similar on Thursday, my house phone rang and the Diabetic Nurse said she had rang my mobile!!
I definitely got calls from the hospital the last two days because my colleagues have been calling me while I'm WfH.

Associate
OP
Have you checked signal strength since switching networks? Maybe you took calls ok from the same location before because your first network had decent signal and your new one doesn't? No outages (planned or unplanned) with your mobile network yesterday?

Might also be worth enabling voicemail if you haven't already. If it's a planned appointment and you miss their call, it's probably unlikely they'll leave a voicemail, but you never know; they might try to leave a "we tried to ring" voicemail just as proof.

If worst comes to worst, I'd probably just stick the SIM back into your iPhone (if you still have it) till the call is done with, then faff with the Poco later.

I've made and taken lots of calls since switching network - even took a test call an hour before the appointment to check my headphones. Once the window around the appointment had passed, i did the 141 test and calls came through fine. They said the consultant might ring back at the end of the day so I did switch the sim into my old iPhone but no call. I then called my number using another iPhone with *67 prefixed, and neither my Poco nor my old iPhone rang at all. I read online *67 would hide the number, but suspect it's US-specific.

Lebara said they don't block calls but that they'd check it and get back to me. I've heard that BT sometimes blocks anonymous calls on landlines? I tend to suspect the network more than the phone. Voicemail is on - though I've heard that the NHS avoid using voicemail. I doubt I can persuade them to stop using 'number withheld' - though I don't know for sure that this was even the problem. Thanks for the suggestions!

Associate
OP
I had something similar on Thursday, my house phone rang and the Diabetic Nurse said she had rang my mobile!!
I definitely got calls from the hospital the last two days because my colleagues have been calling me while I'm WfH.

I'm wishing I hadn't got rid of the landline now!

Associate
Also had this happen on an iPhone a couple weeks ago so I'd say it's an issue on their end rather than a phone OS or feature.

Ironic as they managed to call me to schedule the consultation without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom