When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
You need to remember both methods are regen driving. One is done only via lifting the throttle and the other by pressing the brakes. The following is a rough guide only.

Tesla and some other EVs only regen by lifting the pedal and the brakes are standard as on an ICE car.

Some EVs have regen on the brake pedal only and the throttle acts as on a normal ICE car. These types are easier to transition too as they act more like a normal ICE car.

Many recent EVs give give you the option to do both types with the flick of a switch as the situation warrants. For example one pedal driving in urban settings, and coast mode on motorways. Some will even do switch regen automatically based on trafiic and road information taken from the satnav.

thanks, useful information

Soldato
Like many other EV’s the Polestar 2 has 3 one-pedal driving settings

Off : coasting
Low : Comfortable re-gen braking to a complete stop.
Standard : aggressive re-gen braking to a complete stop.

Whichever setting you have selected; when you press the brake pedal it will use re-gen to slow down up to 0.9g of deceleration. Only when you press the brake pedal hard & quick does the car actually use the friction brake discs. The transition between re-gen and brake discs is seamless and you can’t feel the change. The dash display shows when re-gen is being used and changes colour when the brakes kick in.

Many EV’s with this setup (e.g. VW ID3) have drum brakes on the rear- the sealed unit prevents rust forming as they aren’t used often.

Soldato

From what I have read getting the drum brakes to integrate with the driving dynamics took a lot of research and VAG would probably have saved money going with disc brakes.

Drum brakes also give less rolling resistance allowing for better efficiency.

As an owner of an E-Tron with rear disc brakes I can confirm they do get quite rusty and look bad. Though I always remember the drum brake covers ends up very rusty on cars that use them. So I would hope audi are using some form of anti-corrosive material or these drum brake covers will end up looking worse.

Man of Honour
This made me laugh more than anything in a long time:

The whole video is turbo lols :D

And for that reason I definitely will look to go electric sooner rather than later. Just need the price to go down.... a lot :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The hyundai has regen off and then flappy paddles to increase it levels 1 to 3. I drove around for a long time with 1 but after a while it just made sense to have full regen and not touch the brake pedal at all. It's much more intuitive and only when I don't preempt the road ahead or if something unexpected happens, do I touch the brake pedal now, and that's not until you pull on the paddle to engage braking further before that too.

Wow, mid life is a decidedly dull place :cry:

Soldato
ah - you said it was the nice red - like james brown add - pictures ?
do you get pick up at the Ford dealership - many others there
e: ordered start August ..so no blatant chip problem too.

Soldato
Picked up my Mach-E today, finally! Need to spend about a week tweaking settings now, endless options!

I tested a Rapid Red Mach-E AWD and loved it as an EV. Would have been happy to order one but with it being a family car I had to be realistic with the boot space and the very sporty (but fun) suspension. Also felt the flimsy door cards were a bit of a bad sign. Though as I say a lovelly car overall.

As they say round our way... "your health to enjoy".

Soldato
Exciting times as we've picked the Leaf up today, we got all excited that we forgot to look at the Micra as we drove past and left it was quite sad weirdly.

First of all, The quietness is weird, When accelerating and you're waiting for the car to change up a gear like a normal automatic car would but nothing is weird.

The power delivery is addicting as it pins you back into the seat, very comfortable, very spacious (even for the rear passengers as I have long legs).

Just need to work out what all the buttons do and charging outside of Home charging, had a drive around town at some of the shops that have charge points and its quite mind boggling that there's a lot of different brands that require you to download an app to pay, but we'll get there, not like we'll be using those services much as the car will rarely go over its estimated max range in one sitting anyway.

Associate
Exciting times as we've picked the Leaf up today, we got all excited that we forgot to look at the Micra as we drove past and left it was quite sad weirdly.

First of all, The quietness is weird, When accelerating and you're waiting for the car to change up a gear like a normal automatic car would but nothing is weird.

The power delivery is addicting as it pins you back into the seat, very comfortable, very spacious (even for the rear passengers as I have long legs).

Just need to work out what all the buttons do and charging outside of Home charging, had a drive around town at some of the shops that have charge points and its quite mind boggling that there's a lot of different brands that require you to download an app to pay, but we'll get there, not like we'll be using those services much as the car will rarely go over its estimated max range in one sitting anyway.
speakev.com has a raft of info and sections for each manufacturer, just in case you get stuck on anything.
zapmap app should be your first port of call for charger locations out there in the wild.

Soldato
Great video this - 600 miles (11 hours 10 mins) in a Taycan with just 43 minutes of charging time, all done whilst taking comfort and eating breaks. Driving normally, so not in economy mode and through heavy rain.
The car was charging so quick they overcharged at a couple of stops, because they couldn’t get to the toilet and back to car, before their charge target was reached.

Back
Top Bottom