Railroad Tycoon 2

Associate
Who else has played this gem of a game? Released back in the 90's, and if we ignore the fact that OpenTTD exists, this has to be the best train tycoon type game out there, still to this day! At least in my opinion!

I've put so many more hours into this game over the decades than a normal human should.

That being said... I will now shamelessly plug my youtube videos of the game.

I'm as you might guess with my several thousand hours in the game quite experienced with it. I'm taking this experience, and putting it into videos, playing the campaign(s) on hard difficulty, grabbing myself gold medals on each one, with some tips and tricks in the episodes to help others do the same!

I only have two episodes out there for now, but I'm about to jump into the game right now and make some more! This game keeps me coming back, it's brilliant!

Soldato
Been there, done that :)

Ranks along with Alpha Centauri as on of the all-time great games.
Golds in the entire campaign for both the original and Second Century & most of the Platinum maps.

Soldato
Any particular reason for ignoring OpenTTD? I have recently started to dabble with OpenTTD and it seems to likely be a massive time sync if I got into it proper. I never played the original, so can't compare, though I'm guessing it doesn't have the same campaign element?

edit: made the schoolboy error of mixing up Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon, I guess the youtube links would have made it obvious, but alas they are blocked at the mo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@leezer3 - Ah, alpha centauri, such a masterpiece. they don't make them like that anymore! Kudos for seemingly having wasted as much of your life on this game as me, tho :p Time well wasted imo!

@Bubo - Oh, no, there is definitely no good reason to ignore OpenTTD - but Railroad Tycoon 2 only comes in on a second place if that game is taken into account! A much lesser second place. However, if ignored in this context, Railroad Tycoon 2 imo happens to be by far much better than the more modern train tycoon games you can get a hold of these days. I'm particularly disappointed with Sid Meier's Railroads. Sid Meier's a legend. That game is far from legendary. :/

Also, quick question; what do you mean they are blocked? Is it a this forum type thing, or is it a youtube issue? something else? That's something I might need to look into if it's not forum related.

@Eurofighter - Oh lord, yes! The jazz music in Transport Tycoon is just the best - I never got tired of it. Too bad it's not in the base music set of OpenTTD. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
@leezer3Also, quick question; what do you mean they are blocked? Is it a this forum type thing, or is it a youtube issue? something else? That's something I might need to look into if it's not forum related.

Blocked by work firewall, nothing to worry about. Actually I remember I do have Railroad Tycoon 2 on Steam, one of these games bought in a sale years and years ago. I remember I bought it thinking it was the Chris Sawyer game. So even then I made the above schoolboy error, seems I have Tycoon dyslexia.

Associate
OP
@Oblivion007 - I'll have to give it a go when I'm through RRT2! I think I dabbled with it a little bit a while back.

@Bubo - Good to hear, you had me worried there for a second. :p Ah, yeah, the names are quite similar - I think RRT2 is.. not necessarily a Sid Meier's game, but it's predecessor was at least! Sid Meier and Chris Sawyer are legends of 90's games.

Soldato
Yep, wasted far too much time on TTDX and OpenTTD too :p

The economy model on RRT2 to me works better though (though shorter game lengths), simply as TTDX always ends up in massive conglomerated lumps of city as you head to end-game.

With regards to getting old-
Nothing to do with that, it's just good design. Well designed games are always good, no matter what age they are.
Unfortunately, most modern games are heading the way of shiny graphical gimmicks over depth and once replayability. It's no good how lovely and shiny that monster looks if there's only one way to beat it and a single linear path. Play that once and you're done.....

Associate
OP
Yeah, TTD replayability is endless. I still come back to it over 25 years after it's original release. Same for RRT2!

I did record another episode, so I might just bump this thread a little bit with it, and perhaps steer it towards RRT2 talk rather than OTTD :cry:;) - I felt this would be a fitting video for this forum, and to be fair, it should probably have been included in my opening post rather than what was, but... yeah, I think you might see from the thumbnail why I think this scenario should be a better fit for this forum :p

Associate
OP
I certainly would, if I was you :p I come back to this game at least once a year, and/or when I just want to relax with some business simulator. I'm a creature of habit, so what I know works, works better for me then trying to find something that does quite often. I might be missing out on some new experiences in that regard, but hey, some games I just don't get tired of. And this one, even if I do, I will always regain my wish to play it at some point. :p

Back
Top Bottom