For those who love their SUVs

Soldato
how about a better question, ie why not buy an MPV?
the classic espace with its back facing seating arrangement/table was luxury in the back, don't know about the handling -
renault vel satis's ambiance too, that cabin/ambiance was (still ?) before its time.

The stability thing is very situational,
I'd say they/suv often break the traffic stream(so lost mpg, in addition to straight line aero), breaking more at roundabouts/bends ... you learn to leave more padding,

Soldato
how about a better question, ie why not buy an MPV?
Unfortunately the market for them has seriously dried up, leaving us with a fairly small choice, and those that do exist haven’t had anything like the investment that SUVs have received.

I briefly looked at MPVs but as you say there's not a great deal of choice. Had, when we ordered our car, been closer to the launch of the Dacia Jogger I may have considered that due to its price point depending on how good the small engine is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't "love" it, but we have an SUV because my girlfriend owns a horse. We needed a car which was big enough to lug around a load of over-priced equipment made by brands with "Equi-" somewhere in the name, two dogs, and was large enough to comfortably and safely tow a horse box, and also be capable of light off-road use - muddy fields, rutted uneven tracks, etc. Our SUV (Kia Sorento) fits the bill perfectly.

I don't care about "sitting up high", I'm not bothered about lording it over other drivers or status (lol, kia), it's purely that an SUV seems to be the best blend of practical workhorse and comfortable car. for this type of use. If it wasn't for the requirement to tow, then I would rather have an estate car - however, even if we did, light off road use would still be a requirement, so it would need to be something with a high ride height at least (Audi Allroad, Volvo Cross Country - something like that). I don't think her horse has ever been stabled at a yard where the approach road wasn't a rutted, potholed, poorly surfaced track.

As for worrying about stability - well, I looked up the moose test for a Sorento, and to be honest, it acquitted itself quite well. Not as good as a smaller car, but certainly not bad enough for me to worry about flipping over.

Caporegime
Don't "love" it, but we have an SUV because my girlfriend owns a horse. We needed a car which was big enough to lug around a load of over-priced equipment made by brands with "Equi-" somewhere in the name, two dogs, and was large enough to comfortably and safely tow a horse box, and also be capable of light off-road use - muddy fields, rutted uneven tracks, etc. Our SUV (Kia Sorento) fits the bill perfectly.

I don't care about "sitting up high", I'm not bothered about lording it over other drivers or status (lol, kia), it's purely that an SUV seems to be the best blend of practical workhorse and comfortable car. for this type of use. If it wasn't for the requirement to tow, then I would rather have an estate car - however, even if we did, light off road use would still be a requirement, so it would need to be something with a high ride height at least (Audi Allroad, Volvo Cross Country - something like that). I don't think her horse has ever been stabled at a yard where the approach road wasn't a rutted, potholed, poorly surfaced track.

As for worrying about stability - well, I looked up the moose test for a Sorento, and to be honest, it acquitted itself quite well. Not as good as a smaller car, but certainly not bad enough for me to worry about flipping over.

This. I am the same. I quite like the high up position especially for seeing over walls at junctions where I live and awd is a must and decent ground clearance but several cars would fit that bill but due to horses and the horse trailer we need a decent towing weight, at least 2500kgs, more if possible. If it wasnt for that II would gladly not have a SUV for a change. 22 years I have been driving SUVs now.

Associate
Had a Honda CRV for a few years. Two young children so easy to get them in and buckle them up. Swallowed everything for holidays, trips to the tip were easy etc etc

I came to like it but the soft suspension eventually gave my daughter car sickness so I got rid. Didn’t love it, it just did the job I needed it to at the time.

Soldato
Had a Honda CRV for a few years. Two young children so easy to get them in and buckle them up. Swallowed everything for holidays, trips to the tip were easy etc etc

I came to like it but the soft suspension eventually gave my daughter car sickness so I got rid. Didn’t love it, it just did the job I needed it to at the time.

That’s the only real criticism I had of my two CRVs, with the 2017 one being slightly softer in my opinion. Never noticed any pitching, but body roll was a thing on minor roads where the camber changed rapidly.

Soldato
Nothing really against most SUVs, they have their uses for sure. I do question a handful of people's reasoning for choosing one sometimes, though.

Had a conversation with someone at work the other day whose got a SEAT Ateca as we were looking at one but went for the Leon estate as the bigger boot suited us better. They didn't believe me when I said the boot was over 100 litres bigger.

Associate
Bought mine because it's just an excellent car. Test drove various, "normal" ones, estates and other SUV's but the car I settled on was a Audi SQ5 17 plate V6 3.0L diesel. Goes like a bullet and sticks to the road like s*** to a blanket. Plenty of room when I need it and more economical than I thought it would be. Just a great thing to drive. Do I care what people think? Do I heck. I just loved it as soon as I got in and heard the sound of it and the quality of it.

Associate
I don't really care what people drive, and I don't really understand why others would. SUV, hatchback, monster truck for all I care, what matters is what the person driving it wanted not me or anyone else. Surely there are more important things to worry about that what type of car someone has.

Soldato
Bought mine because it's just an excellent car. Test drove various, "normal" ones, estates and other SUV's but the car I settled on was a Audi SQ5 17 plate V6 3.0L diesel. Goes like a bullet and sticks to the road like s*** to a blanket. Plenty of room when I need it and more economical than I thought it would be. Just a great thing to drive. Do I care what people think? Do I heck. I just loved it as soon as I got in and heard the sound of it and the quality of it.
I've been looking at SQ5s recently.
Hoping to get one next year if car prices settle down a little.

Associate

I bought mine in May this year, £28500. A lot of money but bought just before everything started going up. Just out of curiosity went to WBAC to see how much they would offer yesterday. Not the website, an actual site so they could see the condition. £33600. So just over £5000 profit from them since I bought it. The second hand car market has gone mad. And I can't see it stopping. People will stop buying new petrols and diesels as 2030 is getting closer.

Caporegime

If all the car publications are to be believed, we're looking at 2023 for a bit of settlement, but ideally 2025 for normal levels to resume. That's of course if there isn't another covid variant / ship stuck in the canal / staff shortage / chip shortage / materials shortage / china doesn't collapse / we don't get in to a war / etc.

Soldato
I bought mine in May this year, £28500. A lot of money but bought just before everything started going up. Just out of curiosity went to WBAC to see how much they would offer yesterday. Not the website, an actual site so they could see the condition. £33600. So just over £5000 profit from them since I bought it. The second hand car market has gone mad. And I can't see it stopping. People will stop buying new petrols and diesels as 2030 is getting closer.
I'm looking at 2015 models around the 22 to 25k mark.

Seems a lot for what you get...

Associate
I'm intrigued by what might attract anyone to own one of these hideously unatravive monsters. Might I be correct that their owners need them for sport and utility purposes that are impossible to conduct in smaller cars? It fascinates me which sport might need such huge vehicles. Is there a sport that expects sportsmen to bring the sports pitch along them them?

What utilities do they get used for; and how frequently are such utilities actually required? Every day or once in a blue moon?

I quite like them, I'm not ashamed to say it, sat up high, loads of space around me, wafting around town smashing through pot holes, kerbs and speed bumps like they are not there due to travel and clearance, it's a freeing experience, much nicer than going around in my sports cars wincing each time I come across such things :D I can enjoy the vehicle when my family aren't in it, of course it's not going to match my fun cars but most estates wouldn't either, anything over 1.2 tonnes is becoming a lardy barge.

They typically offer more space generally have have a smaller footprint than an estate so are often better in town due to being < 4.5m.

I'm all ears for an explanation of why anyone of sane mind would want to tow a ton and half caravan. What's it all about?

Why not, its awesome, nice cheap holidays for family (including your pets) with very little restriction

Associate
I'm looking at 2015 models around the 22 to 25k mark.

Seems a lot for what you get...

There's a few SQ5 Facebook groups with people sometimes putting their ones up for sale. Better prices on there but even there they are rising quickly. Good luck getting your one. Really is a lovely car, quicker than most cars on the road even without putting into sports mode. Handles superbly. Plenty of room. The model year your getting up to my model year are probably the best ones. MY 2018 they went to petrol and lost a lot of diesel torgue so not as quick.

Back
Top Bottom