What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I've got lots to say about it but it's late, just got back myself but your score is about right. It got almost everything right and I have very minor quibbles.

Definitely felt more faithful to the book than lynchs version and think some folk may find that jarring.

If we don't get part 2 I'll be a very sad person.

Yes, a few minor quibbles definitely, but overall it's a visually stunning, well paced, deep, action packed, well cast and acted film. Feels really authentic to the original vision. Definitely my film of the year, although not too much competition it has to be said :p

Just praying it does well enough for part two to happen.

Soldato
As someone who hasn't read the books and I couldn't even tell you if I've seen any other movie versions... will I enjoy it as a stand alone movie?

I think there are certain elements that won't be as immediately apparent having not read the book or seen a previous adaption but I imagine this is deliberate with a view to be expanded in part 2. It is firmly part 1 and as such does not have a final conclusion, I would also emphasise to go and watch at the cinema, this needs good revenue to get part 2 greenlit.

Consigliere
Tried Hurricane on Netflix last night.

Managed to get through half of it, checked to see how long was left and thought 'meh'. Just felt too long, quite repetitive with the scenes. It did start well though but kinda lost its way.

5/10.

Soldato
Halloween Kills

Ooof. That was poor. Really bad writing, no flow, no suspense. Literally nothing of substance happening for most of the film. Comical rushed ending to wrap it all up.

Last edited:
Permabanned
As someone who hasn't read the books and I couldn't even tell you if I've seen any other movie versions... will I enjoy it as a stand alone movie?

Its half a movie, feels a touch underwhelming if you are a not a Dune fan, doesn't really go anywhere, ends just as it gets interesting. I expect its actually a fair bit better if you know the story as you know where its going, I barely remember the story so it scrapes a 6/10 for me.

Soldato
Halloween Kills

Ooof. That was poor. Really bad writing, no flow, no suspense. Literally nothing of substance happening for most of the film. Comical rushed ending to wrap it all up.

Probably the only serial killer who manages to kill everyone by walking everywhere.

Permabanned
Halloween Kills

I still don't really understand what people saw in the remake tbh. It was a reasonably fresh take I suppose and was strung together competently enough but was fairly unremarkable I thought. Have absolutely no interest in this one and am dreading DGG's Exorcist films...

Soldato
The Green Knight - 7.5/10

I thought this was really good actually. Minus half a point for the constant 'chorus' soundtrack (high pitched voices thingy going on, all the damn time). Interesting story, very well done. Great cast (apart from Alicia Vikander's terrible accent which took off another half a point). Could have done with a bit more peril, but it was pretty tense in places and looked absolutely beautiful. Shame not to see it at the cinema.

Soldato
Dune - 8/10 - Best* film I've seen in the cinema since The Watchmen way back 2009. When the credits rolled I had no idea where the 2hr35 had gone I was so utterly engrossed in what was on screen. There's a few editorial & sound/speech mix issues but overall I was amazed and I absolutely can't wait til Part 2!

* - It passed my "1hr until a numb bum-o-meter" test with flying colours i.e. if I can feel my bum is numb then the film isn't engrossing me and the sooner I feel it, the worse the film is I tend to find and anything which lasts over 1hr before I notice is usually pretty good.

Caporegime
The Night House. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9731534/

I watched this over about three evenings and I guess I must have enjoyed it a fair bit for me to return to it each night.

I'm not sure I managed to completely follow what was going on, especially by the latter stages, but I've seen far worse horror/chiller films in my time.

Overall, my experience was a fairly good one.

Caporegime
6/10 is far too generous to Halloween Kills.

The script was awful, the acting was quite poor in places and everybody was an absolute moron. They mostly deserved to die because of their own stupidity.

The sequence in the hospital with the old man was absolutely laughable. A mob of 50 people can't keep up with a frail old fat man?

Red Letter Media's take - Same as mine really.

Soldato
Dune - 5/10

What a waste that was

Literally nothing happens in the film!! :confused:, granted i haven't read any of the books but as a movie experience its right down low.

Nice to look at but that's it

Caporegime
Similar taste to me. I'm not one for jump scares or hack and slash. The first The Ring was always one that stood out for me, then the sequels were rubbish just like The Conjuring, Insidious etc.

Me too, one that I really liked that I don't often see recommended is Oculus with Karen Gillan, I though that was a great 'non jump scare' horror.

Soldato
Not a fan of jump scare horror here either, although if done well, it can be very effective.

Not a movie but the series Haunting of Hill House has one of the best jump scares i've ever seen and that's in a series which is thankfully almost devoid of any jumpscares throughout. The scare fits the moment, makes sense in retrospect and isn't a cheap scare.

Soldato
Not a fan of jump scare horror here either, although if done well, it can be very effective.

Not a movie but the series Haunting of Hill House has one of the best jump scares i've ever seen and that's in a series which is thankfully almost devoid of any jumpscares throughout. The scare fits the moment, makes sense in retrospect and isn't a cheap scare.

I know the scene that you're talking about. I actually jumped off the sofa and shouted, and I NEVER do that.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom