Looking for a Family car. Advice Please

Associate
OP
Applied at Sainsburys and Bank Of Scotland(who I bank with) for a 7k loan. Both offered me the loan at around a 10% interest rate over 4 years. Pretty high IMO, actually too high. Think I am going to stick with my 4k budget thats coming from my Dad and Mother in Law as a loan with no interest. Im in Scotland and nearly every decent looking car is down south. I had the same problem a few years ago looking for the car I have/had now. Is there anywhere other than the usual places to look for deals? Thanks

Soldato

Very sluggish and the alloys/spoiler look ridiculous on what is essentially a peasant spec car. I'm also not entirely sure why you're looking at Audi's with a 4k budget? There must be better value cars to be had at that price point?

I'd have thought you'd be able to get a much newer Ford Focus (diesel or petrol) for 4k which will drive better and be nippier than that A3. That's what I'd probably be looking at with your budget.

Honda Civic could be a good shout too, something like this perhaps? - Link

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a 62k miles 2008 black Ford cmax for sale. 2.0tdi, Titanium spec. FiL owns it.
Been sat for a few years, just had 4 new tyres discs and pads all round, Fresh MOT, full service and a new battery. Oh and new front springs and rubber bushes on the suspension as they had perished due to it sitting for a while.
We basically spent a grand getting it back to road worthy.. and handled pretty much any incoming bills.

I'll be polishing it this weekend.

Under your budget too.

Tbh, if I needed a family car, I'd get a cmax.
We just bought a Grand Cmax 2018 to replace our 2008 megane.

Send me a trust :p

Associate
Golf is probably going to be a similar story, if you want to include something from that family then think Skoda or Seat rather than VW or Audi.

You're best options are going to be Ford, Honda, Peugeot, etc. Whilst you can get an Audi for 4k it's not going to be well equipped and will likely be high mileage/prev written off, etc.

Caporegime
Any thoughts on the Mazda 6. Seen this local to me and took it for a spin today.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-6-hatchback-2010-manual-1798-cc-5-doors-/1417720063
Check the MOT history, check on any timing belt change requirement too as that car is over ten years old, often they require a timing belt aft 6 years, sometimes less so check when it should be done and that it has been.

It’s also subject to a recall by Mazda. And don’t forget the vcheck for a salvage but not recorded car too!

Back
Top Bottom