Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
The article above puts great emphasis on the propmaster not being a member of Local44, though it doesn't seem like they are a regulatory body of any kind beyond being a union... unless things work differently out there?
Either way, live rounds have no place on a film set, and the difference should have been night and day to this propmaster.

A shotgun blank doesn’t have any metal fragments to go downrange as it has a plastic or paper casing.
This is what a short 12-bore blank round spits out:

425625_4935063492969_330654383_n.jpg

That's enough to do some pretty serious damage even at about 8' away.
This is why there's usually a minimum 25-foot safety distance when using blanks in public displays.

Man of Honour
Early to mid 80s. We had .303 Enfields which were a right pain because the bolt mechanism didn't like to cycle the blank rounds.

Was wondering about that - ever since I've been aware of the SA80 it has always been fired with the BFA with blanks in any context I've been aware of.

Soldato
Hilarious that you spend enough time on there you pick out a comment embedded 3/4 the way down the page and then smear the whole site with it

Man of Honour
Editted for being a moron

I wouldn't say it was bad blood - these days that kind of stuff is supposed to be reinforced and heavily policed anywhere dealing with firearms and especially on set. We don't know the details in this case but still Adam is absolutely right in what he said though he'll probably catch a lot of flack for it and it may or may not apply here.

Soldato
Hilarious that you spend enough time on there you pick out a comment embedded 3/4 the way down the page and then smear the whole site with it

haha oh I don't need to smear that website, it does it all on its own. I just went to see the insanity they'd come up with over this shooting considering who pulled the trigger. I wasn't disappointed. I'm sure psychology thesis are being written and that site is the case study.

Soldato
Clearly a bunch of idiots on that set for such a mishap to transpire, poor woman. It would almost be excusable if she was an actress intending to be shot with a prop gun while filming, she shouldn't have been anywhere in the firing line of that gun.

Back
Top Bottom