The impending environmental disaster

Caporegime
@v0n Those things you mention - the Lambo, the £1000 iPhone, the three holidays abroad per year - they are not worth aspiring to. We are all guilty of worshipping false gods. The gods of consumption, luxury, consumerism, greed, envy, materialism.

I know many of us in the West chase such thing, but they are hollow, empty, useless.

We need to wake up from this consumerist nightmare. Realise that we don't need this plastic, empty, meaningless tat.

And we need to make sacrifices. Give up the indulgences. Give up the unreasonable chasing of luxury at any cost.

The future cannot be about more of us aspiring to such over-indulgence and opulence. The future must be about realising that there are more important, more useful, more beneficial things to aspire to.

The future we are building right now is a future where we all lose. To keep going in this direction is to bury your head in the sand, or worse, to stop caring. And by so doing to condemn this planet and all life on it to a very bleak future, or no future at all.

I must admit I don't fancy our chances, but it makes little sense to deny the problem, or to brush it aside.

Soldato
(assuming they're disposed of correctly, but that's another topic).

This is the problem, there's a lot that aren't disposed of correctly, same with cans, which have a plastic lining inside them, not as great an issue as other plastics like bags but still an issue

And of course the elephant in the room nobody talks about, our clothes which is probably the greatest issue regards to microplastics in our water and bodies

Soldato
Is there actually anyone that knows when that point is? There is no doubt man made climate is real but what is the "tipping" point when everything goes to pot?

I dont think anyone can pinpoint that, no. The goal of limiting the rise to 1.5° has often been touted as the limit to minimise extreme weather events, but I get the feeling we're now resigned to blowing through that.

I also get the feeling from the scientific community that the effects we're currently seeing are happening faster and more often than was predicted, so we're in the more worse case scenarios of previous predictions.

Caporegime
@v0n Those things you mention - the Lambo, the £1000 iPhone, the three holidays abroad per year - they are not worth aspiring to. We are all guilty of worshipping false gods. The gods of consumption, luxury, consumerism, greed, envy, materialism.

I know many of us in the West chase such thing, but they are hollow, empty, useless.

We need to wake up from this consumerist nightmare. Realise that we don't need this plastic, empty, meaningless tat.

And we need to make sacrifices. Give up the indulgences. Give up the unreasonable chasing of luxury at any cost.

The future cannot be about more of us aspiring to such over-indulgence and opulence. The future must be about realising that there are more important, more useful, more beneficial things to aspire to.

The future we are building right now is a future where we all lose. To keep going in this direction is to bury your head in the sand, or worse, to stop caring. And by so doing to condemn this planet and all life on it to a very bleak future, or no future at all.

I must admit I don't fancy our chances, but it makes little sense to deny the problem, or to brush it aside.

If you don't want those things there won't be any jobs either.

But still we can just sit around holding hands singing kum by yah, and worshipping biodiversity.

Caporegime

But still we can just sit around holding hands singing kum by yah, and worshipping biodiversity.
Well it is a certainty that if we carry on as we are then resources will simply run out. As well as destroying the biodiversity you seemingly care little for.

The "solution" some seem to be advocating for is that we just leave the Earth and parasitise the rest of the universe, without changing our ways. A bleak future indeed.

Soldato

You might wish you had done something (not kumbyah) when your kids, or grandkids are starving, displaced due to extreme weather, or are embroiled in war when countries can't agree with each other and it all boils over. It's not just about us and now, it's about making sure future generations aren't ******.

Caporegime
You might wish you had done something (not kumbyah) when your kids, or grandkids are starving, displaced due to extreme weather, or are embroiled in war when countries can't agree with each other and it all boils over. It's not just about us and now, it's about making sure future generations aren't ******.

I live in the North West, no fear of being taken by the sea and we've had extreme weather for hundreds of years.

Check the difference between Manchester and London weather wise.

Get used to it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well it is a certainty that if we carry on as we are then resources will simply run out. As well as destroying the biodiversity you seemingly care little for.

The "solution" some seem to be advocating for is that we just leave the Earth and parasitise the rest of the universe, without changing our ways. A bleak future indeed.

They've been saying that since the Roman times. We're still here.

Caporegime

Nah screw that. I'll keep spending on awesome stuff and have fun cause frankly I'm an ape who's gonna live then die so mayas well have fun.

Maybe stop aspiring to own a house in Cornwall and move elsewhere or do your highmided ideals end at your own doorstep

Caporegime
Well it is a certainty that if we carry on as we are then resources will simply run out.

Err where are they going to go?

I know we do a lot of space launches but nearly all that stuff falls back down. We don't consume anything we just change it about a bit.

Landfils of today are the mines of tomorrow and all that

Caporegime
Of the people here who literally couldn't give a crap (and delight in telling us this) how old are you? I mean how old do you need to be to literally stop caring about the planet that gave you life... and all the other species besides humans, who are apparently entirely expendable so long as humans are having fun...

Err where are they going to go?

I know we do a lot of space launches but nearly all that stuff falls back down. We don't consume anything we just change it about a bit.

Landfils of today are the mines of tomorrow and all that
You don't half post some nonsense, Tefal. I hope you genuinely don't mean half of it.

Permabanned
Of the people here who literally couldn't give a crap (and delight in telling us this) how old are you? I mean how old do you need to be to literally stop caring about the planet that gave you life... and all the other species besides humans, who are apparently entirely expendable so long as humans are having fun...
i do give a crap .. but know a lie when i see it ..first it was global warming ..heat heat heat .. (grand solar max at this time) now the heat is making it cold ? it's all to push an idea .. as if wind turbines will save us .. ffs
i'm 55 .. as the earth cools the Hadley cells expand ..changing the weather patterns .. the sun drives all weather on this planet ..as it gets cooler so do we .. if the poles melt it will stop the over turning currant .. insta freeze
Seasonality of Response to Millennial‐Scale Climate Events of the Last Glacial: Evidence From Loess Records Over Mid‐Latitude Asia - Fan - 2021 - Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems - Wiley Online Library

Soldato
What we are asked/expected/happy to do on an individual household basis - is akin to dropping a tiny grain of sand into a Loch and hoping it goes someway to forming new landmass within.

Honestly - if people in the UK suddenly stopped doing anything "green", it would have such a miniscule impact, that's it probably wouldn't even register. Yet we are a wealthy bunch, so easy prey to be taxed and subject to ever-increasing choke holds on things in our lives - all the while being told just how much we're killing the planet.

I'm all for giving my daughter a better world to inherit - but when there are nations around the world, churning out more and more badness for the earth, it makes our efforts seem pointless; and nothing more than a little feel good pat on the back for some.

Soldato
What we are asked/expected/happy to do on an individual household basis - is akin to dropping a tiny grain of sand into a Loch and hoping it goes someway to forming new landmass within.
Good, good, great analogy.

Honestly - if people in the UK suddenly stopped doing anything "green", it would have such a miniscule impact, that's it probably wouldn't even register. Yet we are a wealthy bunch, so easy prey to be taxed and subject to ever-increasing choke holds on things in our lives - all the while being told just how much we're killing the planet.
Good, yes, very true

I'm all for giving my daughter a better world to inherit - but when there are nations around the world, churning out more and more badness for the earth, it makes our efforts seem pointless; and nothing more than a little feel good pat on the back for some.
Oh dear....mega deflection.

Soldato

I hope your not suggesting that the past 10 years of me recycling cornflakes boxes has made little to no impact on climate change. The local council says otherwise. I have the little green sticker on the bin to prove it.

Soldato

Translated = 'But China...'

I hope your not suggesting that the past 10 years of me recycling cornflakes boxes has made little to no impact on climate change. The local council says otherwise. I have the little green sticker on the bin to prove it.

Its not all about climate change is it, those changes help stop so much crap ending up in the environment.

Back
Top Bottom