What annoys you about your current car?

Don
2012 Audi TTS
The god awful headlight full beam auto dipper. Takes too long to dip so much so you go to do it manually just as it actually does so you end up putting it back on.

Just gets turned off now.

Suspension is a bit harsh with the sport button but it’s preferable to the soft suspension and wooly steering with it off.

Associate
I've been flashed a few times due to the auto high beam being too slow so now I feel like I have to constantly monitor it and be prepared to override it. I'd like to turn it off but there's no way to do that without also turning off all the other light automation, cornering lights etc.

Soldato
gto - Youd think there was a rattle snake hidden under some of the plastic, i cant begrudge it to much being the 90's machine it is and how many times bits have been removed/reinstalled over the years to fix various issues along the way. the engine soon drowns em out! :D
w204 - again, another rattle monster but not nothing as bad as the gto, the gearbox is also so lazy, i guess that goes with the type of car it is. + standard auto wiper / engine stop start complaint though ive yet to have a car that does either with any logic.

Soldato
There was nothing that annoyed me about my current, and most modern car I've had....until I read this thread and now there's loads of things that do!

Thanks motors! :mad::p

Man of Honour
I've been flashed a few times due to the auto high beam being too slow so now I feel like I have to constantly monitor it and be prepared to override it. I'd like to turn it off but there's no way to do that without also turning off all the other light automation, cornering lights etc.

Not that I've wide experience of them - but I've not found an auto high beam system yet which actually works reliably enough to be anything other than purely an assist.

Man of Honour
Not that I've wide experience of them - but I've not found an auto high beam system yet which actually works reliably enough to be anything other than purely an assist.

The one on my first 530d was a gimmick but the better ones that do beam splitting etc are absolutely excellent.

Soldato
Manual EVERYTHING. Windows, wing mirror adjustment, lights, seats, wipers.

Automatic clutch/shifter but manual gear selection :(

Nonexistent suspension due to short wheelbase and cheap design. Great London car, except for if you have to scale to the summit of a speed bump :D

Also no rev counter or range/mpg computer.

On the plus side, I get to drive a Little Tykes coupe around!

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
A bit of wind noise from around the speaker grill/windows on the A pillar at around 80mph.
The DSG box flipping between 5th and 6th when following someone doing 55. Just do 60 ffs. :p

Man of Honour
A bit of wind noise from around the speaker grill/windows on the A pillar at around 80mph.
The DSG box flipping between 5th and 6th when following someone doing 55. Just do 60 ffs. :p

Some commercial vehicles will be restricted to 50 on certain roads and the driver might not want to push it to far beyond that - some employers even limit work vehicles to 56.

EDIT: Though ours all have a big sticker on the back that they are limited.

Soldato

The one on my ‘17 plate CRV was pretty good, if anything it was too sensitive and would switch to dipped beam occasionally when the reflection of the xeon headlights from clean road signs was considered to be oncoming headlights.

Associate
Even though my 350z is slightly older now (2008), I do feel like the head unit and sat nav were probably out of date when it was made. It's got a tape deck and you can't search by postcode. An upgrade is on my to do list, but pretty far down as I don't listen to music in the car and the sat nav gets used a few times a year (and I can work around the no postcode thing - it's more out of principal that it annoys me). The other main thing is that you can't completely switch off the stability control by design - it requires pulling plugs or wiring in switches. Fixing that is far higher up my to do list :)
Apart from that there's nothing that really annoys me about it. I'd like another ~100hp I guess. The tyres are a bit too grippy for the amount of power at the moment and the exhaust is a bit loud so I need to look at a change or some additional silencing before I can go on track, but those things are my fault really :D

Caporegime

Matrix LEDs are the best. No dipping involve, you just see a black bit on the car coming towards you. Rest of road still in full beam. Works perfectly.

Soldato
C204 C63

- Interior rattles (some of which I've been able to cure)
- Gearbox doesn't do multiple change downs when you flick paddle
- Windows can't be rolled up by holding "lock" button on the fob from more than 30cm away. What you have to do is point the keyfob at the door handle from up to 30cm away and hold it and only then will they go up. It's a classic Mercedes stupid idea which is absolutely pointless.
- If you are rolling up the windows and open a door, they stop. Annoying as hell and something easily curable on BMW's with some 5 minute coding.
- Suspension is firm
- Auto dip lights work promptly only 95% of the time. Unfortunately that means 5% of oncoming drivers still get a dazzled for 2-3 seconds.
- Auto wipers I don't think even work? They were pretty much spot on on my E92, but on the Merc they just do absolutely nothing.
- Lack of any sort of simple coding options to get rid of several of these annoying things, like BMW have.

FN2 Civic

- Everything, and I mean everything, just feels cheap. I had forgotten just how cheap cars can feel as I pretty much only drive or am a passenger in German cars and even the cheapest and oldest of German cars still feels 10x more premium than similar Japanese/French/Korean cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
2009 A3. Service light won't turn off despite resetting oil service so think its gotta be turned off by a garage or a device i was shown on eBay.

Sometimes the indicators annoy me because they do 3x if you just dab it. But thats minor lol.

Back
Top Bottom