£5-6k repair does this sound right?

Soldato
the garage is enquiring whether Peugeot will pay for it as a good will gesture (once they have stripped it down and fully assessed the damage).
you obviously read the other thread where having a 3rd party garage strip it down was not the best course.

Soldato
Re they could only see 30% of the cambelt,

Couldn't they turn over the engine (by hand if needed) and check more like 90% of it?

Many cars have a separate top, middle and bottom cover for the cambelt. The garage probably just removed the top cover which is usually the easiest to get at and examined the belt from there. They could have rotated the engine to examine the whole belt, but would have still only been able to examine the top pulleys because the lower ones and tensioner would've still been covered up.

Man of Honour
OP
An update: Peugeot finally agreed to pay for a new engine today. The garage were quite supportive arguing our case but yesterday I also submitted a written complaint under my wife's name outlining why I thought it was unacceptable for the customer to have to pay in this scenario (a catastrophic in-motion failure caused by a part subject to a recall on a vehicle that had FSH with main dealers and had had the recalled part explicitly and apparently inadequately checked less than six months prior).

Apparently the new engine will come with a warranty. My next decision is whether we just sell the car (as I'd been considering anyway) or whether it is actually now worth keeping as it should be effectively 'younger' than it used to be and has a warranty on the engine, so is arguably 'worth more' than a typical equivalent car. The perceived value to others would be the same as an equivalent age/mileage car whereas we would value it higher than an average car if it has a new engine. Then again even with a new engine I can't be certain if it might have caused damage in other areas, and I'm not sure I want my wife and kids rolling around in a car with a problem both common enough to need a recall and dangerous enough to result in total loss of power whilst driving.

Soldato
Get the car fixed and drive for a few months then decide what to do with it (unless you were thinking about selling and not replacing, in which case get rid now if only for the high prices).

I had no end of minor but infuriating niggles with my Octavia after engine replacement, but it's as likely you'll not notice any difference with the car, other than like you say it has a zero mileage power unit now

Soldato
Presumably they didn't acknowledge whether this peugot garage had not carried out previous inspections correctly - worrying if the incident tells us that their strategy is wait and see;
They wouldnt have done a nice deal on the pretty new 308, or one of their ev's ? (unlike yourself) they probably do end up out of pocket with the engine change.

Caporegime
If you were already considering selling then personally I’d sell it, use the new engine - and I’m guessing the warranty may be transferable - as a plus point when selling.

I say this as I’ve had issues in the past with replacement engines both used and new, and with both with cars and commercials, not saying you will have problems, by rights you shouldn’t, but it’s a possibility for sure on my own past experience.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm sceptical as to whether we could realise the benefit when selling, as it's not really a 'sought after' car that would get much footfall and it's not a criteria you can specific in filter conditions. So I'd be pretty lucky to find a buyer who happened to put much value on the new engine. Cazoo are offering £8450 for "good" condition (one step down from "excellent") so clearing £8k from there would be OK. Although the cheapest petrol in this trim level in the country of any age/mileage is £13k on AT, heh.

Presumably they didn't acknowledge whether this peugot garage had not carried out previous inspections correctly - worrying if the incident tells us that their strategy is wait and see;
They wouldnt have done a nice deal on the pretty new 308, or one of their ev's ? (unlike yourself) they probably do end up out of pocket with the engine change.
Apparently the warranty person alluded to the fact the same garage has another 308 in with the same fault. The impression I get is that there is a genuine issue with these belts (hence they were subject to a 'recall') but it's a massive expensive faff to actually check it properly so they just do a partial check and hope for the best.

As for trading it in for a newer car it crossed my mind to go for a 5008 but I doubt you would get a proper discount in this scenario.

Commissario
I'm sceptical as to whether we could realise the benefit when selling, as it's not really a 'sought after' car that would get much footfall and it's not a criteria you can specific in filter conditions. So I'd be pretty lucky to find a buyer who happened to put much value on the new engine. Cazoo are offering £8450 for "good" condition (one step down from "excellent") so clearing £8k from there would be OK. Although the cheapest petrol in this trim level in the country of any age/mileage is £13k on AT, heh.

Apparently the warranty person alluded to the fact the same garage has another 308 in with the same fault. The impression I get is that there is a genuine issue with these belts (hence they were subject to a 'recall') but it's a massive expensive faff to actually check it properly so they just do a partial check and hope for the best.

As for trading it in for a newer car it crossed my mind to go for a 5008 but I doubt you would get a proper discount in this scenario.

You would think even just having to deal with a relatively small percentage of cars needing a new engine would balance out the faff, especially if the media caught wind that the recall wasn't being done properly/cars were having the engine seize whilst on the road because of it.

Good result that they're going to replace the engine, I'd imagine if they replace the whole thing there isn't much else that could have been damaged when the belt died.

Back
Top Bottom