For those who love their SUVs

Caporegime
I always wonder why it’s a big deal to know the platform is old. What’s the exact issue if you just see the car for what it is ? It’s not like there’s huge fundamental upgrades. The interior isn’t a 2008 A4 in a 2015 SQ5 so what’s the big deal ?

Man of Honour
I always wonder why it’s a big deal to know the platform is old. What’s the exact issue if you just see the car for what it is ? It’s not like there’s huge fundamental upgrades. The interior isn’t a 2008 A4 in a 2015 SQ5 so what’s the big deal ?

Yeah - depends what the newer platform offers - if the old is lacking decent sat nav or doesn't have any at all, etc. that is one thing.

Personally I actually tend to gravitate towards 2012/13 ish platforms as I like having a minimum level of infotainment (which tends to be absent on anything much older) and automated elements but don't like the way on far too many newer platforms things have moved to touch buttons or screens where having a tactile element is an advantage and/or buried deep in menus and so on and the way in far too many newer vehicles the screen looks like someone glued a tablet in at that last minute.

Also call me old fashioned but I like having key'd ignition.

Last edited:
Soldato
Infotainment is from the 2008 car?
Chassis improvements over 8 years?
Newer engines?

Soldato
Was poking fun at myself - primarily driving a pickup that is getting on towards 8 years old, ladder frame, and leaf springs on the back.
I did wonder if you "not knowing" what that word meant explained the love for the rusty ladder frame :cry:

I actually saw a Navara folded in two at the side of the motorway a few weeks back and thought of you.

Man of Honour
I did wonder if you "not knowing" what that word meant explained the love for the rusty ladder frame :cry:

I actually saw a Navara folded in two at the side of the motorway a few weeks back and thought of you.

I think they all go that way eventually - I've seen 2019 models that look like 10 years worth of corrosion :( mine probably has a couple of years until that is a concern but the salting earlier this year did not do it favours.

Man of Honour
The interior isn’t a 2008 A4 in a 2015 SQ5

Yes it is, hence my point. They're basically the same inside with only minor differences (Remember, the Q5 is the A4 SUV and came out only a year after the A4 itself, in 2009. 2015/16 models are the last of the first gen Q5).

A 2016/17 A4 is fundamentally different and a massive improvement, as it's the next generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lot's of chassis improvements on the some of the modern skateboard ev's with reduced torsional rigidity - (johnnymmenonic won't relish me bringing this up again)
a Q5 comes in at 2 tonnes then - are there some light weight suv's.
Audi seemed to be bleeding edge way back with their use of alumnium on the saloon a8, a2, that legacy didn't last ?
maybe I swallowed the advertising though https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/why-a8-so-heavy-1734639/

e: the skateboard evs are not so far from a ladder chassis

Soldato
It’s technically the body… Q5 is a steel. And yes A8 beefied up for the electrification at the request platform where they declared it was actually heavier (haven’t read you link but I imagine that’s the blurb ;) )

EV skateboards are decent monoques with supplementary structure bolted on in terms of the battery and its frame. Quite different to a ladder chassis with a compliantly mounted body ontop of the frame… the battery would take out the traditionally ladder frame rails for a start.

Soldato
Thinking about one at the moment as now that we have a pushchair I put it into the boot of our Astra and that's like 70% of the boot space gone!

But not sure what to go for as my wife doesn't like the idea of having a big car so all of the gigantic SUVs are out of the question...

Soldato
Thinking about one at the moment as now that we have a pushchair I put it into the boot of our Astra and that's like 70% of the boot space gone!

But not sure what to go for as my wife doesn't like the idea of having a big car so all of the gigantic SUVs are out of the question...
Smaller pram obviously:p. Some fold down nice and compact.

Soldato
Why not an estate instead?

Not keen on how long they are... for parking etc. (maybe I'm mistaken?)

Smaller pram obviously:p. Some fold down nice and compact.

The one we have now was a gift, and is really decent... I can see us switching to a more compact canvas pram someday when the child is a bit older, but the requirement for more space for holidays and whatnot goes beyond just that... And if we decide to have another one even more so!

Man of Honour
Car choices are subjective and we all want different things and those things are also often based on a perception.

Some people like an SUV because the height makes it easier for some to get in and out of, or they perceive it has more storage space or they simply like to be high up stuff or because they feel like a footballer (or wife of said footballer). Each to their own.

Not my cuppa historically but I did like the asthetic of the new LR90 and the high up driving position and the go anywhere and towing ability was attractive but something I’d probably not use. I think they are a safe SUV too as they tend to have a warmer response from the Q/X/AMG/Macan/Towrag ones.

However, over 60 and noisy, crap space in the back with rear seats and no rear doors so a pain in the bum to get in and out of so seemed a bit pointless for me in the end.

Back
Top Bottom