AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
Which model AirPods and is this from Apple because I'd have expected them just to be swapped out.
They’re AirPod Pro’s, tbh I thought the same, and I’m not entirely sure what I received back when I sent them off the first time as it just stated that they were repaired. In hindsight I should have taken it to store but the closest is the Trafford centre and would be about an hour there and back so I opted for postal. The timings around postal seem good though really, I took them to the post office at half 3 on Friday afternoon, arrived at apple Sunday, ‘repaired’ yesterday and due to be delivered back to me today.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure Apple don't repair airpods. They may refurbish them by pulling out some of the internals but even then I would be surprised. I was going to look at replacing the batteries in my partners airpods as they are **** now but it looks ridiculous and requires quite a few special tools.

Soldato
The AirPods are one of the least repairable bits of tech apple have ever made. At best they will swap out the internals, I suspect they either replace with new, or replace with working returned products.

Soldato
Have finally connected my recurring scabby ears with the Airpod Pros. Seems to be a common complaint that someting used in the Pros can cause an allergic reaction in the inner ear. Not pleasant and no apparent remedy. Shame because I really like the sound and noise cancelling.

Soldato
Where abouts ? I might take a punt if they can had for under £400

eBay - if you just search AirPods Max, BuyItDirect (one of the Laptops/Appliance/blah blah Direct branches) were matching Amazon's and others like John Lewis current discount, but the 20% off thing is only till tonight I think but it knocks it down under that £400 barrier. There's obviously some Chinapple clones going around on there but they're a premium service seller, returns accepted etc so not worried about that. The 20% off applies till the 12th I think so saw it just in the nick of time.

Associate
eBay - if you just search AirPods Max, BuyItDirect (one of the Laptops/Appliance/blah blah Direct branches) were matching Amazon's and others like John Lewis current discount, but the 20% off thing is only till tonight I think but it knocks it down under that £400 barrier. There's obviously some Chinapple clones going around on there but they're a premium service seller, returns accepted etc so not worried about that. The 20% off applies till the 12th I think so saw it just in the nick of time.

Ah yeah I have heard of those Direct group before. Cheers for the heads up.

Soldato
But their both just called AirPods, the iPhones are very clearly defined with the number in the name.

It wouldn’t be an issue if they killed off the old one like they do with iPad revisions but they haven’t, they are selling both side by side.

Commissario
We must be looking somewhere else, the page I've just looked at clearly says 2nd generation and 3rd generation.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Interesting the delivery date is still showing as next Tuesday if you order now, they've either got plenty of stock or people are ordering the wrong ones by mistake :D

Soldato
Just watched a show with spatial/positional audio on the Max in bed - pretty cool, it’s like you’re not wearing headphones and the sound is coming from speakers. I didn’t realise this at first and thought as transparency mode was on when the show opened with people talking the sound was coming from the iPad.

Also got the Spigen case for when I chuck it in my work bag - pretty tidy/solid little thing for £20, has a magnetic-lid compartment for the charging cable and seems decently built. Only mark against it is you have to extend the headband for it to fit properly, at least from my default wearing position.

Soldato
Just got some AirPods Pro (won them in a raffle)

wow, they’re fantastic. The noise cancelling which I’ve never experienced before is fantastic (I work with loud machines so usually have to turn my old headphone volume up higher to counteract it)

am I right in saying the noise cancelling will drown out the machine noise ?

edit- transparency mode is strange too. Like you’re not wearing the headphones!

edit2- just tried spatial audio too. Not sure what to think about that yet. (YouTube video makes it sound a bit echoey? -edit wow okay, I’ve never experienced this before, if I turn my head it’s like the sound is coming from my iPhone , my mind is actually blown. Amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure Apple don't repair airpods. They may refurbish them by pulling out some of the internals but even then I would be surprised. I was going to look at replacing the batteries in my partners airpods as they are **** now but it looks ridiculous and requires quite a few special tools.

The AirPods are one of the least repairable bits of tech apple have ever made. At best they will swap out the internals, I suspect they either replace with new, or replace with working returned products.

Can confirm it’s a straight swap out for any niggles. Fault on left Pro and they replaced the set without impacting AppleCare.

They do swap them out, no repairs. Don't think they are refurbed either like Mac or phone parts can be (disclaimer I am not 100% adamant on this).

For anyone interested, there is currently a Repair extension program for Pros running for sound issues. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues

Like whiskycycle stated, can be claimed without affecting your warranties (provided they're eligible ofc). Even if your issue isn't exactly the same description as that article, it can be worth trying anyway. I know we will process them under this program for other similar issues :)

Back
Top Bottom