• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 to 6800XT

Associate
Went from a Vega 56 to a 6800 non xt and it's a huge upgrade.

My brother did the same and is extremely pleased with the performance boost at 1440p. One of my other brothers went from a V56 to a 6600XT only because he didn't want any additional outlay, as the sale of the former pretty much covered the entire cost. Crazy times.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I currently have a Vega 56 Overclocked (1650/950) with Samsung Memory.
I was too looking on eBay and they were selling (at the time) for £650.
This is the same price as a Nvidea 3060TI.
This seems crazy, as even when checking on NiceHash, it would mine more and also use less electric.

If you had a Vega 56, would you switch to a 3060TI?
I don't mind putting a bit more towards (maybe another £500)

I'm just sat wondering why my Vega is so special?

Certain algorithms love them, i.e. ERGO runs on the HBM2 memory so hardcore miners can BIOS mod them to run @ low watts for high MH/s. Another factor is most nvidia cards were shipped LHR models which mean rubbish for miners. I know its been negated right now but we are talking mining between March till early September you wouldn't want to risk a LHR card which was also probably overpriced.

Associate
Certain algorithms love them, i.e. ERGO runs on the HBM2 memory so hardcore miners can BIOS mod them to run @ low watts for high MH/s. Another factor is most nvidia cards were shipped LHR models which mean rubbish for miners. I know its been negated right now but we are talking mining between March till early September you wouldn't want to risk a LHR card which was also probably overpriced.

Ahh. That makes more sense. Thanks for spending the time to give some detail.
I did originally think if ya can't beat em, join em and thought, if I got a higher cost card, a bit of Nicehash would help pay back some of the inflated costs whilst not gaming.
However the prices are shocking, should it all end. £2,400 for a 3090 then all the talk about having to replace thermal pads.

Really confusing at moment on what card is best to get. Feel like it's best to switch out the Vega for now as it's now classed as an old card. Originally wanted a new build with a 3080, but that was back at MSRP prices. Ended up getting a Dell 1440p as thought it would put me off an upgrade. Now I have the itch again.

Soldato
Ahh. That makes more sense. Thanks for spending the time to give some detail.

Really confusing at moment on what card is best to get. Feel like it's best to switch out the Vega for now as it's now classed as an old card. Originally wanted a new build with a 3080, but that was back at MSRP prices. Ended up getting a Dell 1440p as thought it would put me off an upgrade. Now I have the itch again.

No problem.

Pick up an FE card whichever you can get hold of (3060Ti, 3070, 3070Ti, 3080). Sell the vega and it will fund most if not all of it.

Associate
No problem.

Pick up an FE card whichever you can get hold of (3060Ti, 3070, 3070Ti, 3080). Sell the vega and it will fund most if not all of it.

I'd actually go further and get a 3080ti FE - it would be a c. £400-450 upgrade once you sell the VEGA card and last for ages!

Associate
I'd actually go further and get a 3080ti FE - it would be a c. £400-450 upgrade once you sell the VEGA card and last for ages!

Brilliant thanks for the advice. Would FE be the rare occasions that Nvidea sell them on their own site at MSRP? Is this a case of checking every hour of each day and hoping you are lucky to drop on one before the miners/scalpers get to them? Or is there a better way to get lucky?

Soldato
Brilliant thanks for the advice. Would FE be the rare occasions that Nvidea sell them on their own site at MSRP? Is this a case of checking every hour of each day and hoping you are lucky to drop on one before the miners/scalpers get to them? Or is there a better way to get lucky?

Discord, Telegram, Twitter signup alerts.

Associate
OP
6800XT! Wow is the best way to describe it over the Vega 56. Need some new games now to really challenge it but hitting 144 FPS at 1440p QHD resolution and settings maxed out on Apex Legends is quite nice. Looking forward to BF 2042 now. The card is heavy though so definitely needs the support bracket.

Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
6800XT! Wow is the best way to describe it over the Vega 56. Need some new games now to really challenge it but hitting 144 FPS at 1440p QHD resolution and settings maxed out on Apex Legends is quite nice. Looking forward to BF 2042 now. The card is heavy though so definitely needs the support bracket.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad your enjoying it! If you have time try to get on the bench threads created by @LtMatt and join in! :)

Associate

Thanks for the advice.

Enjoy the upgrade! It is truly next gen :)

Associate
My brother did the same and is extremely pleased with the performance boost at 1440p. One of my other brothers went from a V56 to a 6600XT only because he didn't want any additional outlay, as the sale of the former pretty much covered the entire cost. Crazy times.

Yes crazy indeed. I just upgraded my eldest sons GPU from a RX 480 to a 6600xt. He is over the moon and only cost £160 after selling the 480

Back
Top Bottom