Dave chappelle: Sticks and Stones on Netflix

Man of Honour
His new special on Netflix has had some netflix staff walk out in protest of his trans jokes but utterly they failed at understanding the context since he explains one of his own trans friends took their life and the context surrounding the jokes. It must be great living in a bubble for those people in their little double standards world.

A reddit comment summed it up perfectly:

Netflix is absolutely keeping track of who walked out and who didn't.

They are absolutely going to remember this when end of year reviews and raises come up.

They will absolutely slowly begin hiring new people and letting old ones go.

Also, I think I understand why netflix is so ****nowadays. These people let Cuties happen, and are protesting Dave chappelle

Cuties being that show where they get kids to do questionable stuff :/

Dave's special was genuinely great and hit hard on talking points. It has highlighted what is wrong with people these days and these workers walking out proves him 100% correct in all his points

Snow and flakes spring to mind.

Video of protest scenes: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cringetopi...flix_employees_attacks_a_man_for_having_a_we/

Man of Honour
Show/film, doesn't really matter - Not watched it as no interest to but have seen the trailer/media backlash on it. It might be fictional, that doesn't make it savoury though all the same. A world of difference between a comedian telling relevant jokes too.

The double standards i is that they allowed Cuties, but are up in arms about some jokes told by a comedian that actual trans people have no issues with. They are in the wrong here nobody else.

Caporegime
So you're attacking people for reacting to something they haven't understood and doing exactly the same yourself :D I just think it's funny.

Also brave of you to claim you know how the entire trans community feels about something.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure I understand what Cuties is about, regardless of whether confusing show vs movie which is irrelevant really. Anyway, looking at the comments on social media, it doesn't actually show any trans people in protest with those staff so yeah it's pretty safe to say that yes, generally the trans community isn't actively protesting the special but as usual, people being offended on behalf of others are. The ones who often scream out about being offended with violence/hate seem to always be the ones that actually dish out violence and hate as evidenced by these videos of those very protestors.

Regardless though, not sure what you;re trying to get at, the comedy show was on point, relevant and tackled tough subjects with humour.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure I understand what Cuties is about, regardless of whether confusing show vs movie which is irrelevant really. Anyway, looking at the comments on social media, it doesn't actually show any trans people in protest with those staff so yeah it's pretty safe to say that yes, generally the trans community isn't actively protesting the special but as usual, people being offended on behalf of others are. The ones who often scream out about being offended with violence/hate seem to always be the ones that actually dish out violence and hate as evidenced by these videos of those very protestors.

Regardless though, not sure what you;re trying to get at, the comedy show was on point, relevant and tackled tough subjects with humour.

The walkout was organised by a trans group within Netflix, it has many trans and non-binary people.

Soldato
Ah I stand corrected on that then, but did they/that user actually watch the special or just skip to the joke and close the Netflix app right after? It reads like the latter.
From what I can tell, that's exactly what happened.
Dave's right. People don't listen to what he's actually saying and they definitely haven't watched the show in it's entirety to understand context.

I also noticed this when I watched it last night. Look at the only two people sitting there stone faced while everyone else is laughing :cry:

Screenshotter-Netflix-55-37.jpg

That was the "That's not blood, that's beet juice" line.

Man of Honour
I absolutely loved the most recent special. He always seems to walk the line perfectly and pretty much come out with a decent assessment.

I particularly enjoyed on a previous special where he said something along the lines of: “I believe that women should always have their way in respect of abortion, it’s their body, their decision.” *cheers from audience*

“BUT…. I also believe, that if it’s my baby, and I don’t want it…. I shouldn’t have to pay for it. If you can kill it, I can make it go hungry.” *shock from audience*

Then he ends it with:

“If I’m wrong, then maybe we’re both wrong….”

Perfect.

In respect of the new special, I thought that it would be his comments that to the effect that only women have babies that would ruffle feathers, and it did. But in the whole he was commenting in the context that only certain people have babies and there is a difference between that group of people and men. So I understood his point.

Soldato
As I said in the trans thread in gd, it was far and away his weakest special for me. Not a huge amount of laughs, started off weak with his space Jews joke and by the end it just felt like he forgot the jokes to go along with the stories which is rare for him as he is a master at weaving jokes with storytelling. Some excellent bits, particularly the black on asian violence and him having no effects from covid.

The funniest element by far was the stony faced lesbian caricatures they kept cutting to whenever he would be riffing on current social trends.

Soldato
watched closer last night - the first dave standup ive seen and it was pretty good. Not amazing but good.
Certainly i didn't find it transphobic at all; if anything the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom