Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

SPG

SPG

Soldato
If you think Dune is 10/10 and you didn't want it to end then it's you who thinks the world is flat.
Honestly get a grip, it was awful.
I work in Court of Protection, I could help you to get sectioned :)

Aww bless touched a nerve with a little sugar pop . I went in expecting a visual treat based on books that I have read numerous times over the years. I got exactly what I wanted and it left me wanting more of the same. It hit the spot and it's my fault if people have the attention span of a fish.

Soldato
If you think Dune is 10/10 and you didn't want it to end then it's you who thinks the world is flat.
Honestly get a grip, it was awful.
I work in Court of Protection, I could help you to get sectioned :)

I think it's entirely possible that different people will have different views on this film. I may be wrong though as the members of the Overclockers forums are usually so in sync in their views.

Soldato
For some it's a trip down memory lane, others it's a brand new experience. For others they won't have a clue what's going on. Does help if you've read the book/s or are very into science fiction. The same will go for Foundation, while I haven't watched the series yet, if it sticks truly to the books it will be even more 'what is going on' for a lot of people.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Wow really impressed. One of the best if not the best movie this year so far. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than I expected. Was doubtful the young lad could pull it off but he did surprisingly well. Can't wait.

Soldato
Just came back from watching this at Odeon iSense screen, wow, such a great experience, great sound and cinematography, loved all the different aspects of the craziness that was going on. Deffo a movie to watch in a cinema. 10/10, bring on part 2, probably a long wait though :(

Man of Honour
My thoughts:

World building and the first half of the film were excellent, top notch.

From the moment Paul and her mum were on their own, for the latter part of the film, it suffered (perhaps in part by presenting itself as part 1). There was clearly a lot of story to go. Paul wasn’t going anywhere and with most of the main characters either dead or safe, there wasn’t really much threat nor anything new to learn in the world. So it did then feel padded.

I can sum the latter parts of the film up in a sentence: Paul and his mum escape the baddies and team up with the desert guys.

^ I don’t think that works so well when you’ve already subjected your audiences to quite a lot of film.

Soldato
Epic, absolutely loved it. Just came out of the IMAX at the Printworks which was just stunning to watch it on.

I'd said to a friend if it was any good I'd see it again with him when he goes on Weds, looking forward to that!

I've read the first book once 30+ years ago, seen the DL film and played the games, so am familiar with the story but not a die hard by any means, so didn't really have my own take on the story to criticise DV's portrayal.

Associate
when the director sign on to do this he said that he will spread the first book "Dune" across two movie's and that they will be shot back to back. now recently when ask he said yes it was going to be shot back to back, but due to corvid shooting of the second part had been delay. now everything coming out of warner suggest that part 2 is a done deal, it has been greenlight and it just awaiting official confirmation announcement.

Soldato
What a fantastic film just wish there was an Imax over here.

The pacing was fantastic, acting brilliant. (Great break from what marvel is spewing out)

It's no LOTR in space as it was billed to be but its some of the best sci-fi we had to date.

They probably could have made this into 3 films and had more character and word building but what they did was great.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As someone who has not read the book or knows the history of the film, would I struggle with the story? Thinking about taking my son on Tuesday.

You won't struggle because very little really happens. It's more of a who is who introduction and a short epic fight in the middle. Lol it's a very basic story but the names are a mouthful

I don't think it's exciting enough for a kid to see

Associate
Great soundtrack and cinematography. I really enjoyed the pace of the film and honestly didn't want it to end when it did.
It is one of the best films I have seen for a long time. 100% worth seeing on the big screen.

Minor critisism for me being, going from very dark scenes to a very bright scene in a split second. Was a little uncomfortable for my eyes.

Very much hope they green light the second part soon.

Permabanned
Was a decent effort but yeah it felt quite flat in places and just lacked something to make it work and be the epic film it was visually trying to be. Definitely less than the sum of its parts. Also, why was Liet-Kynes turned into a woman?

Made me appreciate the genius of the Lynch version even more, a film I already held in high regard. If you compare the scene where the worm swallows the crawler, the lynch version blows this one out of the water.

Soldato
I'm new to the story and quite liked it.

Waiting for part 2 but feel like it should go on into a part 3.

It feels like one of those stories that needs time to breathe and would benefit from more screen time but would be a mega mega budget to keep up those visuals going on a series.

Back
Top Bottom