When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Great video this - 600 miles (11 hours 10 mins) in a Taycan with just 43 minutes of charging time, all done whilst taking comfort and eating breaks. Driving normally, so not in economy mode and through heavy rain.

Yeah, it's good to see other cars being able to achieve this now, not just Tesla, and shows up some other daft YouTube guys video about (can't remember his name) about it being rubbish and spending hours upon hours charging.

Man of Honour
Great video this - 600 miles (11 hours 10 mins) in a Taycan with just 43 minutes of charging time, all done whilst taking comfort and eating breaks. Driving normally, so not in economy mode and through heavy rain.
The car was charging so quick they overcharged at a couple of stops, because they couldn’t get to the toilet and back to car, before their charge target was reached.

Genuinely impressive.

Soldato
The car was charging so quick they overcharged at a couple of stops, because they couldn’t get to the toilet and back to car, before their charge target was reached.

Guy knows his stuff

He was in a Carwow race as well I think. Audi etron GT vs Tesla driven by Mat Watson from Scotland to London and he won

Soldato
Gotta say first week of the id3 and I am really loving it. Feels like I am driving a bumper car :D

So glad I switched (company car) my salary will also increase by around £250 per month from November because of BIK tax being so reduced!

Really pleased. Home charger not due for another few weeks, but fast charger 2 miles away, walked the dog for 45 mins and then drove off fully loaded.

Soldato
I think they are currently one of the best looking electric cars. I love them.

Although there is a lot more coming out from all the brands BEV wise the Mach-E was the first I saw and instantly took a liking to. I wanted a BEV but wanted it to largely look like a normal car, not into massively quirky styling elements etc. It had to be Rapid Red for me as that was the only real colour for 2021 models except the Orange on the GT (££££££) or the Grabber Blue on the First Edition (All pretty much out of stock). Overall very happy with it thus far. Just need to sort out a level 2 home charger now, although the travel charger on a domestic socket is fine for my mileage at present.

Quick dirty pic from when I picked it up, excuse the poor composition :o

MachE-Front1.jpg

MachE-Front1.jpg

MachE-Profile1.jpg

Soldato
I wonder if we will ever get a decent budget ev, when even the Hyundai and Kias (typically budget brands) are asking near £50k for a car, I don't think the average buyer is gonna be rushing to buy them.

Soldato
£50k fully loaded? It’s also a huge car and probably their most premium offering. The Sorento isn’t that far off £50k RRP fully loaded either, granted it’s a slightly bigger car. It’s priced similarly to the Mustang, ID4 etc.

There are cheaper cars out there…

Soldato
I wonder if we will ever get a decent budget ev, when even the Hyundai and Kias (typically budget brands) are asking near £50k for a car, I don't think the average buyer is gonna be rushing to buy them.

Can you please define what you consider to be budget, in price terms obviously, and then give a price you'd expect to pay for a new car (model included) in the brands you already mentioned. Since , unless you are talking about a Hyundai i10 with no options etc., not some sort of SUV you aren't getting a 'budget' car imo.

Soldato
Before the great new car apocalypse, I saw pre-reg Corsa-e’s for £20-22k. Decent spec ones too. I don’t think you can argue with what you got for the price there.

The poster likely hasn’t checked new car prices recently. Even a relatively low spec fiesta is knocking on the door of £18k these days.

Soldato

Been watching quite a few of his videos lately, I'll never afford a Taycan but it's great to see just how usable EV's are now. I'll be keeping the current car for another couple of years so it will be interesting to see what's available then.

Soldato
Welcome to 2021 car prices - a base spec new Ford Focus is easily over £20k.
Entry level EV’s (MG cars) are £25k to £30k before the Government grant and that’s unlikely to change any time soon.

Been watching quite a few of his videos lately, I'll never afford a Taycan but it's great to see just how usable EV's are now. I'll be keeping the current car for another couple of years so it will be interesting to see what's available then.
The new Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 can also charge at fast rates for most of the 10-80% range, so lower priced models with faster charging are now available.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I took an Audi RS e-tron GT out for an hour yesterday, following on from the Taycan I drove coming on for a year ago. I was really impressed with the Taycan but the Audi is the better car in my opinion. The interior is much nicer, more usable in a lot of ways because there's physical buttons for things and overall just feels more "special" although the cabin does feel smaller overall.

Performance is in line with the Taycan although the RS is much more dramatic with how it drives, the car is more alive and feels more playful and involving. 637bhp is the headline number but the car feels way quicker than that - makes my old M5 feel absolutely archaic. 0-200kph is around 10-10.5 seconds (vs about 12 in the M5 if you can get it off the line) but the most surprising thing is how it does it because it is so linear. The Taycan's two-speed gearbox is the same as in the e-tron GT but it was really noticeable in the former car whereas the Audi had me wondering if it had the two-speed box at all.

My only remaining issue is with the price. The car I took out was the Carbon Vosprung version which is £134k. The base car with a decent set of options is £122k and aside from Night Vision I'm struggling to see what's in the extra £12k that's worth any money at all. Audi suggested that an order placed today would be delivered in March 2022 based on another customer's order which went through late last week for a February build slot. I have some thinking to do!

Soldato
Anyone with a Leaf had issues trying to get the NissanConnect app working? After you've punched your VIN into the app it asks you to use the car's infotainment to download info which then shows you a code, but in my instance its failing giving me the error "Connection to the center failed"

I've tried connecting the car to wifi, I've gone to a place that has better mobile "signal" cause i live in the mountains, but still getting the error.

Caporegime
I took an Audi RS e-tron GT out for an hour yesterday, following on from the Taycan I drove coming on for a year ago. I was really impressed with the Taycan but the Audi is the better car in my opinion. The interior is much nicer, more usable in a lot of ways because there's physical buttons for things and overall just feels more "special" although the cabin does feel smaller overall.

Performance is in line with the Taycan although the RS is much more dramatic with how it drives, the car is more alive and feels more playful and involving. 637bhp is the headline number but the car feels way quicker than that - makes my old M5 feel absolutely archaic. 0-200kph is around 10-10.5 seconds (vs about 12 in the M5 if you can get it off the line) but the most surprising thing is how it does it because it is so linear. The Taycan's two-speed gearbox is the same as in the e-tron GT but it was really noticeable in the former car whereas the Audi had me wondering if it had the two-speed box at all.

My only remaining issue is with the price. The car I took out was the Carbon Vosprung version which is £134k. The base car with a decent set of options is £122k and aside from Night Vision I'm struggling to see what's in the extra £12k that's worth any money at all. Audi suggested that an order placed today would be delivered in March 2022 based on another customer's order which went through late last week for a February build slot. I have some thinking to do!

I love the RS E-tron GT.

The Vorsprung adds the following over a standard GT

• 21" '5-spoke' design alloy wheels in black with graphic print
  • Gloss Carbon Styling Package
  • Audi rings and logos in gloss black
  • RS interior design package in Red
  • Carbon Twill Inlays
  • Front seats with ventilation and massage function with rear heated seats
  • Night Vision Assist
  • Head-up Display
  • Parking Assist with Remote Parking Pilot
  • City Assist Pack
Which is fine if you want all those options I suspect the the cost of all those items comes to more than the £21k price difference. If you dont then much cheaper to spec the car for how you want.

Personally I would rather spec the car up with what I want. Some options arent available like the 5 spoke wheels though.

Soldato
Face it though, when you come to sell the car at the end £21k of options will be worth £2.1k at best. Do any of them actually make the car better, other than maybe the seats, and possibly the HUD.

Caporegime
Face it though, when you come to sell the car at the end £21k of options will be worth £2.1k at best. Do any of them actually make the car better, other than maybe the seats, and possibly the HUD.

AGreed. Carbon inlays are a £1150 option alone. To me it would make no difference 3 years on. Some people it might.

Black package have never been my thing.

The only things on that package worth anything to me would be HUD and city assist pack. Standard seats are ventilated anyway I think, who needs massage or rear seat heating?

I would also spec up the Tour pack and 360 cameras which are still optional extras on the Vorsprung car.

Soldato
AGreed. Carbon inlays are a £1150 option alone. To me it would make no difference 3 years on. Some people it might.

Black package have never been my thing.

The only things on that package worth anything to me would be HUD and city assist pack. Standard seats are ventilated anyway I think, who needs massage or rear seat heating?

I would also spec up the Tour pack and 360 cameras which are still optional extras on the Vorsprung car.

Just realised you could buy my entire car for the cost of that package. :cry:

Who says Porsche are the only one good and charging for options.

Back
Top Bottom