• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Price hikes generally only work during a crypto boom as Nvidia found out with the poor sales of Turing so if ETH mining ceases to be a thing then not only won't there be the extra demand but also people just won't be willing to overpay if cards don't generate money.

This problem is nothing to do with just mining, the problem is shortages. Caused by COVID lockdowns, people also scalping and hoarding, you think COVID will go away next year and scalpers will not be back to their old games again too hoarding goods in demand ? Also who says there will not be another mining craze again, next year is about the right time for a new one as they seem to start up again right before each new gen cards come out now.

We need more chip foundries to deal with the shortages and yes I know they are building new ones as we speak but these will not come online next year or the year after. Also all these new chip foundries will need chips for their equipment in the middle of a chip shortage, so I doubt many will be even up and running till 2025, they can't build a chip foundry in a year or two and be able for them to produce usable chips.. They take on average 3 to 5 years to build and able to make chips. You see the problem ?

Also TSMC ... and what China is playing at may soon be offline in Taiwan, have you seen the posturing in recent days from China and the rest of the world at China ? I really hope not but the world is a mess right now and everything we think is not ever going to happen is happening in these times we are in... Last thing we need in this world right now is a war, we have enough on our plates with COVID making a worldwide mess and our government that has become the joke of the world as you have seen too due to Brexit and how they are handling COVID.. Plague Island they are calling us in the rest of the world.

Anyways more important things to worry about for now than GPUS, but things are not going back to normal in the next 2 years. This mess is going to take more time and more chip foundries able to make chips and foundries that will be worldwide not just in a few countries that are targeted by China. The West has stuck all its eggs in baskets that they can't control and this was done because it was cheaper to make these things in these countries that are well unstable. You want cheap electronics and goods well that's why, when these new foundries open up in the West again, don't expect cheap chips...

A good read:-

Why We Can’t Build Our Way Out of the Semiconductor Shortage

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ild-our-way-out-of-the-semiconductor-shortage

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Price hikes generally only work during a crypto boom as Nvidia found out with the poor sales of Turing so if ETH mining ceases to be a thing then not only won't there be the extra demand but also people just won't be willing to overpay if cards don't generate money. Also Intel are entering the market which will increase supply.

I dunno, the same can be said for disk drives and for cpu's they are also mineable if you check out monero and chia - caused some spike in those products when they are high on the gravy train!

Thing is with CPU and HDD/SDD's was they didnt get crippled so badly regarding supply/demand thus double in price. Maybe there is more to go around so the shortages take sustained greed to kick in. What this indicates is the dGPU proportion of the market is much smaller in % than other components.

Soldato
I dunno, the same can be said for disk drives and for cpu's they are also mineable if you check out monero and chia - caused some spike in those products when they are high on the gravy train!

Thing is with CPU and HDD/SDD's was they didnt get crippled so badly regarding supply/demand thus double in price. Maybe there is more to go around so the shortages take sustained greed to kick in. What this indicates is the dGPU proportion of the market is much smaller in % than other components.
Every PC needs a CPU or SSD yet a GPU is optional also the crypto hit when there was already supply issues.

Associate
Every PC needs a CPU or SSD yet a GPU is optional also the crypto hit when there was already supply issues.

Should see a flood of 2nd hand GPUs onto the market next year with the change in the way Etherium is mined etc.. Let's hope that crashes Crytpo and GPU prices too..

Soldato

GPU is only optional if you use an intergrated GPU in the CPU or a braille display....

732itt5.jpg

Also if you remember there were no new 5000 gen AMD cpus with IGPU till recently and only Intel had some.

Associate
Enjoying this turn to the chat. I went from a 6800x core 2 extreme plus 5850 to a 5800x and 2070 super (got last November b-grade from ocuk just before it all went Pete Tong) and I’ve been following the fes on telegram etc but never really felt it was worth the upgrade when they popped up as looking at the stats the new cards aren’t really all that much faster esp on the games I tend to play.

Associate
Looking at the figs on passmark the 3070ti is roughly 19 per cent faster than my 2070 super which to be honest isn’t (IMO) worth the pain of buying it then selling the old one on, say eBay, with the attendant risks of someone ballsing it up on installation, going missing in post etc etc. I rarely play anything all that recent and use my work monitors at home so don’t need 4K performance.

Soldato

GPU is only optional if you use an intergrated GPU in the CPU Also if you remember there were no new 5000 gen AMD cpus with IGPU till recently and only Intel had some.

Correct. Some like to nitpick when they should get the gist of the discussion. The point being blaming everything on GPU mining again getting boring and factually isn't the whole picture. For another example you can mine with different equipment to share radio.

Associate
Agree the never ending lowballing and then they come back and say well this person sold it for this or cex buys it for this but cex sells it for over double never comes up :rolleyes:, times I wonder if some of the sales are even real on the MM or a way to have an excuse later when bidding on stuff and really wasn't even sold or people with many accounts or friends to pretend it got sold at X price. The MM really needs to be checked on more often with such behaviour I suspect is going on there sometimes.

I'm at the stage of not using the MM to sell anything anymore too and saving the headaches and either keeping the stuff or giving it to CEX for what it ends up selling on the MM in the end. Anyways off topic but as said above people that sold their 2080tis for £500 or less really need to think before doing such things in the future with their new shiney cards now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Soldato
Price hikes generally only work during a crypto boom as Nvidia found out with the poor sales of Turing so if ETH mining ceases to be a thing then not only won't there be the extra demand but also people just won't be willing to overpay if cards don't generate money. Also Intel are entering the market which will increase supply.

Here's intel.. (remember fake msrp and street price will be more too)

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-x...m-arc-alchemist-gpu-might-cost-around-800-usd

Also they are using TSMC for their gpus, so they are taking up wafers that may have gone to AMD or Nvidia, so will have to wait and see if supply really increases or is really just spread thinner now between the three main GPU makers now instead of two before and really this gen Nvidia went Samsung for gaming cards and only their Pro use GPU the GA100 were made at TSMC.

Also if you think there is Intel now in the race and it will force prices down, it won't Intel will never go down that road and will of all things now make sure GPU prices stay high so they can make back their investments in DGPU quicker, also they know they can't beat Nvidia in the GPU tech side, Nvidia is too far ahead right now and if they did try to or do beat Nvidia, expect even more expensive cards in the future.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Looking at the figs on passmark the 3070ti is roughly 19 per cent faster than my 2070 super which to be honest isn’t (IMO) worth the pain of buying it then selling the old one on, say eBay, with the attendant risks of someone ballsing it up on installation, going missing in post etc etc. I rarely play anything all that recent and use my work monitors at home so don’t need 4K performance.
Those number don’t seem right at all. The gap is bigger even to a 3070, let alone 3070Ti. Never use passmark or crappy benchmarks. Only games matter.

Here is one example of 2070 Super vs 3070 FE:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/30.html

At 1440p there is average of 32.41% increase in performance. At 4K a 37.91% difference. The gap is even bigger in more recent titles and will only get bigger as drivers and games are more optimised for newer architecture. As an example I randomly looked at a newer release in that review that is Detroit Become Human and at 1440p the difference is just shy of 40%. So yeah for a 3070Ti the gap would be even bigger.

Soldato

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-x...m-arc-alchemist-gpu-might-cost-around-800-usd

Also they are using TSMC for their gpus, so they are taking up wafers that may have gone to AMD or Nvidia, so will have to wait and see if supply really increases or is really just spread thinner now between the three main GPU makers now instead of two before and really this gen Nvidia went Samsung for gaming cards and only their Pro use GPU the GA100 were made at TSMC.

Also if you think there is Intel now in the race and it will force prices down, it won't Intel will never go down that road and will of all things now make sure GPU prices stay high so they can make back their investments in DGPU quicker, also they know they can't beat Nvidia in the GPU tech side, Nvidia is too far ahead right now and if they did try to or do beat Nvidia, expect even more expensive cards in the future.
As a new player in the market Intel don't need to beat Nvidia or AMD on performance but what they should do is price themselves competitively against the others and make sure thier cards sell for MSRP as this would be a major marketing coup which would not only lead to market share but also create a lot of positivity around the brand which has been lacking for a while now.

Soldato
As a new player in the market Intel don't need to beat Nvidia or AMD on performance but what they should do is price themselves competitively against the others and make sure thier cards sell for MSRP as this would be a major marketing coup which would not only lead to market share but also create a lot of positivity around the brand which has been lacking for a while now.

So thus, we shall see what the price they ask for them is and judge on that!

Soldato
Given what cards from a few years ago are being sold for all Intel need to do is be close enough to last gen at a decent price with stock and they’ll sell…

Last edited:
Soldato

you should look at actual gaming benchmarks

Caporegime
Agree the never ending lowballing and then they come back and say well this person sold it for this or cex buys it for this but cex sells it for over double never comes up :rolleyes:, times I wonder if some of the sales are even real on the MM or a way to have an excuse later when bidding on stuff and really wasn't even sold or people with many accounts or friends to pretend it got sold at X price. The MM really needs to be checked on more often with such behaviour I suspect is going on there sometimes.

I'm at the stage of not using the MM to sell anything anymore too and saving the headaches and either keeping the stuff or giving it to CEX for what it ends up selling on the MM in the end. Anyways off topic but as said above people that sold their 2080tis for £500 or less really need to think before doing such things in the future with their new shiney cards now.

Lol. Would be obvious to spot this if true. It doesn't happen not to the extent you are making out anyway. Also how would you stop others from buying your low priced fake ad? I'd like to see actual example of you thinking this has happened.

The only thing I have spotted on MM is someone buying stuff on there for cheap then selling it on another forum. I reported this to admins and they said unless you have the serial number of both items you cannot prove it's the same item they are selling that they bought on mm a few weeks later on another forum for double what they paid for it. How would I have the serial number? Nobody ever posts it. Seems like if they want this level of proof they should make serial numbers mandatory like they have done for mobile phones and imei checks, etc.

The guy bought on here and posted on another forum using exact same user names on both forums. Another thing I have noticed on MM was 2 users selling lots and lots and lots of same/similar items in a very small time frame but listing one at a time. Was unrealistic for a normal person for example to be selling 20 laptops over a 3-4 month period.

Associate

Intel are never going to sell graphic cards at lower price then the competition.

Back
Top Bottom