Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
Working on a mac mini M1 8GB for the past week has made me desperate for my new macbook to arrive. I hate being stuck to my desk when I am working long days and this machine is just underpowered for what I do. Wheres my new macbook Apple! Give me some shipping updates.

Permabanned
Preparing to ship, can't wait!

Glad I paid the extra 300 and went for the M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU.

Screenshot-2021-10-24-103312.png

Soldato
Preparing to ship, can't wait!

Glad I paid the extra 300 and went for the M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU.

Screenshot-2021-10-24-103312.png

Lucky you. I had to ask for approval from work before I could order, which only comes on Monday. The shipping times for my config has already slipped to 29 Nov - 6 Dec.

Soldato
Working on a mac mini M1 8GB for the past week has made me desperate for my new macbook to arrive. I hate being stuck to my desk when I am working long days and this machine is just underpowered for what I do.

I'm with you on having the flexibility to pick up the device and work away from the desk even if it's just on the sofa for a change to scenery.

What tasks are you finding that the regular m1 struggles with as I'd have thought even it would be enough for most workflows? The only times I've heard folk say the M1 air struggles is running multiple apps on the 8gb model.

Permabanned
Lucky you. I had to ask for approval from work before I could order, which only comes on Monday. The shipping times for my config has already slipped to 29 Nov - 6 Dec.

I took a gamble and ordered just as the Apple store re-opened, as I own my business permission was not an issue :p

What config are you going for?

Soldato
I took a gamble and ordered just as the Apple store re-opened, as I own my business permission was not an issue :p

What config are you going for?

16-inch, 10-core M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB. We get corporate discount at Apple though so brings the price down a little bit.

Associate
LOL all that power for office and YouTube...I bet people order way more than they need.

Benchmarks this week is what matters...

the 16inch machine looks not as portable as some may think, its a thick boy for sure.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm with you on having the flexibility to pick up the device and work away from the desk even if it's just on the sofa for a change to scenery.

Yeah, its nice to be able to sit with the missus in the living room in the evening and be borderline sociable and just sit somewhere that isn't my desk.

What tasks are you finding that the regular m1 struggles with as I'd have thought even it would be enough for most workflows? The only times I've heard folk say the M1 air struggles is running multiple apps on the 8gb model.

I'm a programmer so i'm running 20-30 chrome tabs, dev tools, scripts, servers, about 5 other lightweight programs like music, bear, messages and then the biggies are running a few instances of VS Code along with photoshop at times.

Oh and i'm running dual monitors. 1440p and a 4K.

Honestly it has no right to work as well as it does but its certainly chugging at times. I quit my job a week and a half ago so had to return the macbook pro they provided and needed a stop gap between now and when my new MBP arrives and I thought the safest bet was a mac mini as there is almost 0 chance of scratching it as I will be returning it as soon as the new machine arrives.

Permabanned
I’m on a worn-out and battered 2013 i7 15”. I could have done with an upgrade a couple of years ago at least, couldn’t put it off any longer!

Same here, I just had to wait for a 14" model as it is the perfect size for me, 15" was a little big and 13" a little small...

I will miss the glowing Apple logo of my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro however...

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom