Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
If you want to know more about the Dune universe, look up 'Dune Encyclopedia' - It's an out of print book which you can find online that though some of the 'technical' information in it has been 'de-canonised' by later books, the history is extremely interesting, and goes into great detail.

It’s also much better and ‘gets’ the spirit of Dune better than anything to do with his son’s books. An essential PDF download to go alongside the 6 in the series. I don’t consider Brian Herbert’s contributions to be anything other than awful fan-fic.

Soldato
You’ll definitely get part 2, it’s made plenty of money w/the early overseas release and is doing better on general release than most predicated given circumstances.

Still bittersweet for me that it left me wanting so much more: the feast scene, the banter between Piter and the Baron the first time we meet them and more dialogue in general, Gurney and his ballisette… Denis has often tried to make his films leaner than a stage-prepped bodybuilder and we know he left plenty on the cutting room floor but isn’t a fan of extended-cut versions.

Soldato
Saw this last night. I'm a big fan of Denis's films so far, but this is the first one that I haven't been sure about.

I'm not a Dune fan, knew nob all about the story bar what I'd seen in trailers, and well it just didn't really pull me in.

When I left the cinema after BR2049 I wanted to go straight back in. I went back to see it on a larger screen 2nd time round. I also went back to watch Sicario and Arrival twice. This, I'm not sure I can be bothered to watch it again until the 2nd part is made, if it is made at all. I won't be bothered either way I don't think, but I always want more sci-fi being made.

Soldato
It’s also much better and ‘gets’ the spirit of Dune better than anything to do with his son’s books. An essential PDF download to go alongside the 6 in the series. I don’t consider Brian Herbert’s contributions to be anything other than awful fan-fic.

They are a pure form of epic ****, some of the worst books I have ever encountered. Such a disappointment after the Dune saga.

Soldato
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dune-box-office-breaks-record-good-sign-part-two/

The spice must flow, and for the most devoted cinephiles in North America it tasted like popcorn and concessions this weekend. With Denis Villeneuve’s Dune finally in theaters in the U.S. (as well as UK, China, and several other significant markets), the science fiction epic commences its greatest battle—against being released simultaneously on HBO Max. And as of right now, it’s doing relatively well with an estimated box office take of $40.1 million in its opening weekend.

This number, which comes from Warner Bros., makes Dune the first WB/HBO Max hybrid release to open north of $31.6 million at the box office—a record set in March by Godzilla vs. Kong during a period when many theaters were still closed, and social distancing was more strictly enforced. It also beat out studio projections. With that said, it’s admittedly not the type of debut one usually associates with a pop culture phenomenon.

Hopefully continues so we get part 2 although I wish they'd have just done the filming like Lord of the Rings so we get part 2 much sooner

Soldato
Does anyone know why there seems to be a large amount of cinemas not taking bookings past the Thursday 28th October? I want to book for this Saturday or the following and there's no listings for it?

Soldato
They are a pure form of epic ****, some of the worst books I have ever encountered. Such a disappointment after the Dune saga.

I just try and pretend they don't exist:
The Butlerian Jihad was a philosophical movement and the end of Chapterhouse is a meta ending where the characters, no longer visible via prescience are free to live on outside the reach of even the author.

I could live with inferior writing and world-building but it's the ideas, the almost malicious retconning, it's just unforgivable.

Soldato
Does anyone know why there seems to be a large amount of cinemas not taking bookings past the Thursday 28th October? I want to book for this Saturday or the following and there's no listings for it?

Cinema listings are normally released tonight / tomorrow for Friday onwards

Soldato
I just try and pretend they don't exist:
The Butlerian Jihad was a philosophical movement and the end of Chapterhouse is a meta ending where the characters, no longer visible via prescience are free to live on outside the reach of even the author.

I could live with inferior writing and world-building but it's the ideas, the almost malicious retconning, it's just unforgivable.

If you ever read any other of Brian Herbert's books, you'll realise that he doesn't have a fraction of the talent and imagination of his father.

Soldato
If you ever read any other of Brian Herbert's books, you'll realise that he doesn't have a fraction of the talent and imagination of his father.

I foolishly read a couple when they were first released. My greatest fear is any of Brian’s ideas leaking into this cinematic series and I swear if I even get a sniff of cartoon space Skynet and Deus Ex Norma Cenva I’ll have an actual aneurysm and die on the cinema seat.

Soldato
I got the impression by omitting this it allowed them to omit a whole bunch of other stuff that revolved around that to trim things down: if memory serves, there’s that whole bit about suspecting a traitor and fake-intel making Hawat suspicious of Jessica - who blames her until they meet again in the second half - which is why we need to know about Yueh’s Imperial Conditioning since it means he isn’t considered. Take out the talk of a traitor and you take out the need to explain the Suk stuff.

Ideally I wanted them to keep everything in but alas this wasn’t LoTR with a 4 hour running time.

by missing out the background of the traitor maybe being Jessica, are we therefore going to miss out on the scene where Gurney tries to kill her in front of Paul after their reunion?

Soldato
by missing out the background of the traitor maybe being Jessica, are we therefore going to miss out on the scene where Gurney tries to kill her in front of Paul after their reunion?

The director says that he made the first movie concentrate on Paul, and the second movie will give the other characters a lot more screen time and develop the various side plots. However without foreshadowing some of those events I'm not sure how that will work.

Soldato
The Worldwide box office seems to being doing really well so far, with HBO max figures being the highest they've had, so hopefully Part 2 should be getting a green light. However who knows how the cocaine and stripper glitter filled innards of a studio execs mind work :D

Back
Top Bottom