Inneresting Question Time

Associate
Just a general question.

I have spent years being subjected to endless windows updates (OS and program updates) and they always happen at the most inconvenient time and invariably screw something up (normally printer settings :mad:).

I've been using an iPad now for 2 years and I don't recall any updates. Certainly one app in particular is forever requiring me to update before I can even use it on windows but when I use the ios version, that has never happened.

Is it time to move to a mac?

Soldato
Microsoft have never got updates right. In fact a few years ago the lady who ran the department at Microsoft was fired over something to do with it being in such a mess.

Apple do it much better, but think carefully about the switch.

Those who work in IT will have almost certainly found themselves in a situation where they are logging in to fix a serious issue only to see the please wait while updates are installing message :D

Last edited:
Soldato
the only time i've found updates to be a nuisance is when i'm leaving my rig running doing something important only to come back the next day to find windows proudly pointing out it had restarted in the middle of the night to update, invariably screwing up the program i'd left running in the process.

sadly there seems to be no option to disable this process permanently in favour of waiting until i shut down the machine (which happens regularly unless i'm running aforementioned important thing)

Soldato
I've found it has got better in recent years. Like it now offers when you go to Shutdown -> "Install updates then shutdown". I haven't been locked out of my home/work PC for ages now.

Soldato
the only time i've found updates to be a nuisance is when i'm leaving my rig running doing something important only to come back the next day to find windows proudly pointing out it had restarted in the middle of the night to update, invariably screwing up the program i'd left running in the process.

sadly there seems to be no option to disable this process permanently in favour of waiting until i shut down the machine (which happens regularly unless i'm running aforementioned important thing)

Yep, very annoying!

Soldato
Windows does my head in with the level of automation and self-management. But then this is on my work PC which also has antivirus and some kind of system management software, all doing stuff in the background I can't control. I make sure to never leave it on or asleep after 10pm as it will no doubt reboot and **** my life up.

Gaming PC is Windows but only for gaming so turned off nightly, and if I need a personal PC it's generally running Linux so does what I bleeding well tell it.

Is it time to move to a mac?
You're comparing Windows, on a PC, to iOS, on a mobile device. Very different propositions in terms of updates, system availability expectations, and how much control the app developers have over usage and updates.

Actually I do use iTunes on both platforms but the software to which I am referring here hooks up to my horse riding stimulator.
More than likely this means that your stimulator ( :eek: ) company update their Windows app frequently but don't update their iOS app. They probably farmed it out to a separate app developer and don't touch the code. Maybe it's delivered over a live web service on the iPad whereas desktop PC is standalone software.

Not a permanent solution but you can a) adjust active hours anytime you're running an overnight task, and b) delay automatic updates for the next 6 weeks. Just make sure to re-apply the delay every month.

Soldato
Saw the thread title and thought someone from the question time panel had finally snapped and punched one of the stupid audience members or something.

Anyway updates on Windows are mess (on my corporate laptop I get updates almost daily for all the crap and bloat they've loaded in background it's so bad even with a SSD booting into Windows feels like it's running on a HDD). It's not so intrusive though that it makes me want to buy an overpriced Mac.

Back
Top Bottom