Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Oh wow its gone up they do 2 tiers one higher for certain conditions one lower and that's it no sliding scale for features etc you pay and get the best they can do and after care for the year including repeat surgeries if required

LvC is where you get send when the likes of optical expresses discount 350 per eye jobby goes wrong.

The head surgeon there is theguy who was behind most of the machines and tech iques the others use

Yeah. The higher price tier is mostly for repairs and people with serious pre-existing conditions, corneal injuries, etc which require the surgeon to spend a lot longer to plan the treatment. People who are after routine laser vision correction will get the lower tier price.

Caporegime
Hard to know who to believe in all honesty, seems odd that there are such conflicting views.

I was all for relex smile before I read articles like that.

How's things today, still improving?

Have you noticed any degradation in your near sight? Personally, being shortsighted, I find my close up sight to be above average and imagine that in correcting my vision at distance, I would see worse up close. (Much like when weaing contact lenses I cannot see as well for close up detail).
6years later all still good!

Forgot this thread had my posts from right before surgery to after!

Click the quoted post for the day of my surgery posts

Caporegime
Yeah. The higher price tier is mostly for repairs and people with serious pre-existing conditions, corneal injuries, etc which require the surgeon to spend a lot longer to plan the treatment. People who are after routine laser vision correction will get the lower tier price.

When I had mine I had the higher tier in one eye the lower in the other the surgeon said it was borderline and put me though on the lower.

We did talk bout motorcycles though so maybe that helped :p

Soldato
I'd consider it, but imo vision is the most important sense. The difficulty I have is that (being from yorkshire), how can some places charge 10 times as much? At 4 grand that means I'd have to wear contacts for 200 months to break even:cry: and I've heard stories of it needed to be redone after 10 years.

Soldato
Could be worth asking lvc if they can't operate the observation is free
I had collagen cross linking in both eyes. It involves have the outer layer of cornea - epithelium, or epi for short, removed. Then placing protein enriched eye drops into the eye for about 20 mins then placed under UV light for 30 mins.

Once the local anaesthetic wears off. It’s horrendous. Feels like someone has thrown hot gritty sand in your eyes then throw on some acid on top of that. Light intolerance is extreme. Wore sunglasses with dark hoodie (hood up) unable to watch TV until 5-6 days later and that was just an hour a day first few days. Just listened to music, audiobooks. Had about 3 different eye drops which my dad had to administer for the first week and that was torture as needed to see my eyes and needed light.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
13 or so years since mine was done, following a recent visit to the optician I can still read below the 20/20 line, although I have re-developed a slight astigmatism, or at least it was never fully corrected. Although now well in my 40s presbyopia will undoubtedly set in at some point soon. Still, for 10+ years of clear, sharp vision without needing to buy glasses or contact lenses I have to say it was money well spent.

Soldato
I used London vision clinic and the relex smile procedure which doesn't cut a flap but instead uses a hole to take a layer out resulting in less nerve damage and less risk of dry eyes.

Iirc was 3900 or 4900 can't remember, there is a video of the procedure on YouTube

It takes longer to heal aprox 1-2 days vs near instant vision so try to do it on a Friday so you don't need a day off work if you choose them.

Really satisfied several years ok eyes still perfect and don't feel any different

How was your correction before/after? SMILE sounds interesting, but it definitely has its limitations in that it (obviously) cannot correct to the degree that LASIK and PRK can.

Caporegime
Very hard to do over regular glasses.

You get goggles for that

Also you get safety specs made in prescriptions most decent companies will provide them.

Your normal glasses are liable to shatter into your eyes at least get yourself some clip on side shields for your glasses

Caporegime
I'd consider it, but imo vision is the most important sense. The difficulty I have is that (being from yorkshire), how can some places charge 10 times as much? At 4 grand that means I'd have to wear contacts for 200 months to break even:cry: and I've heard stories of it needed to be redone after 10 years.

Well people get old and thier eyes get worse but if your young that's you knowing your 60s+ whenever you would have naturally had degradation.
And the tests and base line can be used to deal with old age related degeneration. But it mostly just a myth you need it redone.

Unless you're planning on dieing in 200 months it's worth it

Man of Honour
Has anyone had this with a prescription around -10?

One of my siblings did. They went from over -10 to -0.5. They can get by without glasses but does wear some for driving. But day to day life is a lot easier and the cost of glasses which was astronomical was also a huge factor. Quality of life improvements were second to none and has no regrets for doing it.

Soldato
One of my siblings did. They went from over -10 to -0.5. They can get by without glasses but does wear some for driving. But day to day life is a lot easier and the cost of glasses which was astronomical was also a huge factor. Quality of life improvements were second to none and has no regrets for doing it.

Thanks i am -5 and -7 at the moment have a my 2 year check up soon so things may have got a bit worse who knows. Nice to know the option is still there if i did get to -10.

Soldato
Did they have to use the death star to do it:cry:. I'm only -2 and -2.75, which is not too bad. I do want to do it, but the cost is the biggest off putting thing for me, i really don't like being ripped off.

Man of Honour
Did they have to use the death star to do it:cry:. I'm only -2 and -2.75, which is not too bad. I do want to do it, but the cost is the biggest off putting thing for me, i really don't like being ripped off.

When I did it I was only -1.5. But I was riding motorbikes and playing rugby regularly as well as other sports - it was for the convenience rather than anything else. I'm now well into my 40s and eyes are till going strong 12+ years after doing it. Worth it if you have an active lifestyle for sure IMO. I didn't do it for vanity as I didn't mind wearing glasses, it was just the joy of not having to rely on them.

Back
Top Bottom