Xiaomi Android Updates

Soldato
I have a Samsung Galaxy A70 which is about 2 years and 4 months old. It has updated to Android 11, and recently got the Android security level update dated 1st September.

Three months ago I bought a Xiaomi Mi11 5G Lite. Android 11 and it has had one update I think, and is Android security level update dated 1st June.

So yes, the nearly two and a half year old Samsung phone is more up to date than the new one !

Is this what I can expect from Xiaomi going forward ? Frankly I doubt that it matters that much but this situation seems ridiculous.

I guess the Galaxy will probably hit 3 years and then stop getting updates at all, and the Xiaomi will keep getting them much longer albeit very slowly ?

Soldato
I have a Samsung Galaxy A70 which is about 2 years and 4 months old. It has updated to Android 11, and recently got the Android security level update dated 1st September.

Three months ago I bought a Xiaomi Mi11 5G Lite. Android 11 and it has had one update I think, and is Android security level update dated 1st June.

So yes, the nearly two and a half year old Samsung phone is more up to date than the new one !

Is this what I can expect from Xiaomi going forward ? Frankly I doubt that it matters that much but this situation seems ridiculous.

I guess the Galaxy will probably hit 3 years and then stop getting updates at all, and the Xiaomi will keep getting them much longer albeit very slowly ?

Have you manually checked for updates on the xiaomi phone?

Soldato
Until the pandemic, I think my Mi A2 got monthly updates, as it should being part of the Android One program. But updates since March '20 have been scarce, the last one being July '21.

Soldato
That's the thing with Xaiomi. You pay less and you get less in terms of software support.

The amount of different models they churn out its not surprising.

Soldato
OP
OK thanks all, so I'll get used to less frequent updates ! The next security update can't be that far away. Seems like it is tied into the MIUI update itself. As it happens I don't particularly like the phone that much, so it won't be a long term keeper anyway. I really just wanted a cheap way to try 5G and something different so for £299 it was worth a punt. 5G has proved to be no real benefit to me. The phone is surprisingly light, and that is where the A70 falls down - with a strong screen protector on it and a case, it is a heavy beast. But I still find myself going back to it. Next time, I'll check a manufacturer's update policy first before purchasing.

Soldato
Yeah my Mi Mix 3 would have been 2 years old last January and the last security update I have is Oct 2020. I'm about to replace it so not terribly bothered, but they're really not the best for updates. Maybe they could keep on top of things better if they didn't release such a crazy number of different handsets.

Associate
I bought a redmi note 9s on Android 10 18 months ago
I got android 11 miui 12.5.1 a few months ago and the last security update is dated 1/7
I'm led to believe I will also be getting android 12 but I won't be holding my breath.
They have so many models that updating seems pretty random,some old phones get updates while newer ones not so much.
I think they concentrate more on the Chinese and Indian versions where they are big sellers while Samsung have a large proportion of the UK market,unlike Xiaomi.
I had a Samsung tablet some years ago that didn't get any updates !

Associate
Yes, several times.

The "About" screen shows tt is on MIUI Global 12.5.3 and Android security update 2021-06-01
I'm on a different MIUI version to you, 12.5.2 stable.
It depends what region the phone was meant for as to which version you get,according to wiki 12.5.17 (china) and 12.5.13 (global) are the latest versions

Soldato
OP
Thanks, sounds like the update is coming soon. I'll report back when I get it. I bought the phone directly from Xiaomi UK.

Back
Top Bottom