iPhone 13 or 12 Pro?

Associate
Hi all,

My girlfriend is about to upgrade her iPhone 7 with Vodafone and is considering the following on 36 month contracts. She is happy with Vodafone and also has her home broadband with them so would like to stay. They have offered her:

1. iPhone 13 128GB for £40/month, £29 up front (£3 discount - usually £43 month)
Advantages: Newer processor, longer battery life, cinematic mode

2. iPhone 12 Pro 128GB for £43/month, £19 up front (no discount offered)
Advantages: telephoto lens, LiDAR

Am I missing anything? From what I can see the OLED panel specs are identical. I can see that the camera specs are slightly different (aperture etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Soldato
iPhone 13 every time for me.

It has sensor shift stabilisation for the main camera too, paired with the A15 it’ll be better for lowlight.

There’s nothing the 12 Pro offers which makes it a better device.

Commissario
I feel three years is crazy for a mobile phone due to the chance of breaking it way before the 3 years is up
It's nothing to do with whether it will break before it's three years old, it's just the sheer length of the contract. I remember when 12 months was the norm, then they went to 18 months and now most seem to be two years. To be tied into an agreement with one company for three years is utterly bonkers.

Electronic devices shouldn't break within three years and it's wrong to expect they will.

Soldato
Electronic devices shouldn't break within three years and it's wrong to expect they will.
I mean from the high risk of dropping a mobile phone and breaking the screen & rear glass and to replace the screen on OLED phones is normally very expensive

Edit: after a quick google it doesn't look like it still costs around £250 to £300 to replace an OLED phone screen anymore

Last edited:
Associate
OP

My girlfriend has had her iPhone 7 for over 4yrs now and it's still working perfectly, although the 32GB storage is no longer viable and is actually the main reason why she wants to upgrade.

I mean from the high risk of dropping a mobile phone and breaking the screen & rear glass and to replace the screen on OLED phones is normally very expensive

Yes, the repair costs are very high now - I would not want to be without insurance cover of some sort be it AppleCare+, via a bank or home insurance policy.

Commissario
After 1 metre drop the rear glass breaks and after a 1 metre face drop the front screen breaks
Interesting, very interesting. Other videos I've seen show drops from much higher with no damage. It's all down to the luck of the draw.

Having said that, you've got to be pretty dumb to drop a phone from that height, flat onto concrete.

Either way, there's no reason to expect a phone to fail within three years.

Associate
Hi all,

My girlfriend is about to upgrade her iPhone 7 with Vodafone and is considering the following on 36 month contracts. She is happy with Vodafone and also has her home broadband with them so would like to stay. They have offered her:

1. iPhone 13 128GB for £40/month, £29 up front (£3 discount - usually £43 month)
Advantages: Newer processor, longer battery life, cinematic mode

2. iPhone 12 Pro 128GB for £43/month, £19 up front (no discount offered)
Advantages: telephoto lens, LiDAR

Am I missing anything? From what I can see the OLED panel specs are identical. I can see that the camera specs are slightly different (aperture etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Associate
It's nothing to do with whether it will break before it's three years old, it's just the sheer length of the contract. I remember when 12 months was the norm, then they went to 18 months and now most seem to be two years. To be tied into an agreement with one company for three years is utterly bonkers.

The phones are getting more expensive and most people don’t have £800-£1150 just sitting in their bank account to buy the phone outright.

If the phone lasts another 4 years and they’re happy to pay (to them) an acceptable amount of money that gives them the least amount of grief then good luck to them.

Soldato
The phones are getting more expensive and most people don’t have £800-£1150 just sitting in their bank account to buy the phone outright.

If the phone lasts another 4 years and they’re happy to pay (to them) an acceptable amount of money that gives them the least amount of grief then good luck to them.

Not true, the iPhone dropped in price this year despite the rise in cost of the components and global shortages.

Back
Top Bottom