Road Cycling

Associate
Lol at the list price. you'd be mental spending a tenner on those bits!

Absolutely! There's no way I'd purchase at rrp. But at this price I couldn't say no:

D9Asxydl.jpeg

Protein bar has a best before date of Feb 2022, carb drink (320kcal!) Apr 2023, gel and bar Aug 2022, although I'll have no issues consuming these beyond those dates :cry:.

Soldato
Let me know how it tastes, i wonder if it might taste a little "thick" rather than the normal stuff. Might make it trickier to digest on runs. Although i guess it still needs to work in a sports bottle.

Good shout on buying 11 packs actually, it makes it decent value. I have the annual postage thing so might order a few to use that!

Soldato
Beta fuel and Maurten 320 are my go to for long rides. Taste wise, Beta fuel is ok. I bought a batch of orange ones on sale, I get on with it ok. Maurten is like sweet water, it doesn't really have a flavour, but it's easy to get down and does the job.

Soldato
Protein bar has a best before date of Feb 2022, carb drink (320kcal!) Apr 2023, gel and bar Aug 2022, although I'll have no issues consuming these beyond those dates :cry:.

We have here a fella who has never experienced an out of date lumpy gel yet.... That'll change you for life :p

Soldato
I think most gels I consume are out of date and 99% of the time are fine.
Just you wait! :p

It's just too easy. I tend to only use gels when running over 2 hours, below that and i'm generally fine with just a carb drink. However i often buy huge packs of them when they're on sale and they sit in the cupboard until a time comes that i actually need them!

Soldato
I think most gels I consume are out of date and 99% of the time are fine.
Just you wait! :p
This!

For someone who had 'mixed results' and after effects from some gels, I only a couple of times had them out of date. Once or twice I had a lumpy or suspect kinda odd/off taste to them so was very dubious! :rolleyes:

Soldato
I know you obviously have a very good bike, but depending on how long you’re going for, does it not make more sense to just hire something for a week over there?

Hugely less hassle/risk and I’d have thought price would be similar due to the charges airlines charge.
Obviously it depends on whether you can hire a comparable bike I guess.

Soldato
I know you obviously have a very good bike, but depending on how long you’re going for, does it not make more sense to just hire something for a week over there?

Hugely less hassle/risk and I’d have thought price would be similar due to the charges airlines charge.
Obviously it depends on whether you can hire a comparable bike I guess.

Fly ba, bike included. Bike hire currently is about 250 per week for an average 105 type bike. I find taking a bike isn't that much hassle, my missus usually checks it in for me whilst I park with another bag of luggage and shes pretty small and not that strong.

@AndyCr15 no clubs local to you that may have one to rent? Could borrow my evoc one but you'd have to come collect it.

Soldato
I’d have thought price would be similar due to the charges airlines charge.

The extra was £90. For 5 days the bikes started at £100 and definitely weren't comparable to mine. I was tempted to go all out and hire a £12k bike for the trip, but would be around £500 :cry:

no clubs local to you that may have one to rent?

Very kind of you to offer, as it goes one of my cycle club buddies has offered me his BBA for the trip, so looks like we're all sorted :)

All in I've paid about £600 for five days cycling in Mallorca, my own single room, extra leg room on the flight. Was more than I originally planned, but doesn't seem too bad.

Soldato
Ah that's fair enough then. I know i've made similar decisions before with my paddle board vs renting, i just wasn't sure how prices were for hires and there's the benefit of reduced risk of damage etc. I guess it makes more of a difference when it's a proper cycling holiday vs just going out a couple of times for rides.

£600 for 5 days including flights and accommodation seems pretty decent to be fair. Is this in place of the NC500 trip or as well as?

Back
Top Bottom