• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12900k / z690: tech lust!

Soldato
There's very little enticing in overhyped big.little kludge for average user.
The average user will probably get the 12400 which doesn't have the small core but in terms of big little then that's where we are headed with apple and now Intel and soon AMD so in 3 or 4 years then all CPUs will be designed like this.

Soldato
Kingdom Come Deliverance is a great game. I agree it’s one of the open world games I would like a smoother experience in. The frame times would be better on a 5950X, but it’s very highly priced for just gaming use.

Absolutely, it's by far my favourite open world game, for whatever faults it has Warhorse has delivered a true masterpiece, just so many things came together beautifully with it. The actual depiction of villages & central/s-e European forests is so genuine too it's the closest I got to mistaking game for reality outside of VR, it's that convincing. Sadly the limitations for it are API rather than CPU-related (applicable to a lot of DX11 games unfortunately) but you can still brute force a lot, of course after optimising the settings (w/ autoexec.cfg) because there are a lot of "traps" if people just use ultra. Hmm maybe I should get back and do a guide for that, I promised a long time ago but didn't finish it. Might as well, thought I'd play more PoE but that got boring too quickly. xD

45819200205_e4a2cc147b_h.jpg

Caporegime
I'm still on my 4770k.

Not upgrading yet as I'm well into needing a full rebuild! :D

And pc hardware is too expensive for me for my limited use of it.

Soldato
I'm at the beginning of planning for a new PC and its new Tech so lets see how it rolls out.
30 years have taught me to wait till the hype dies down, and the facts are known.

Only problem is these days is if the hype is real then the stock is gone.

Soldato
It’s a shame that people gave up on it when it first came out due to the issues it had. An absolute gem. I am going to do another play through of this over the winter, and can’t wait. It makes you want to spend hours learning things such as reading, riding etc, and you feel rubbish at everything at first, but slowly the more time you put in, the better you get. I would be interested in your guide. Let me know if you manage to get one done please. Have you heard about the second game they were going to release?
Will do. They're hard at work on the 2nd one afaik, it's the last 3rd of the story (KC.D represents 2 out of 3 acts of the story) and we're finally going to see Prague! I imagine it will release in '23 most likely given that we've had no announcements and nothing has been leaked, plus 2022 is packed with releases already. But who knows..

Associate
I’m on my 8700k and I’m wanting to do a rebuild kinda torn what direction to go.

I was looking at 12700k but with the ddr 5 latency was thinking of low latency ddr4 or do I look at the 5800x

Soldato
I am tempted to move up from my 9900K to the 12900K, the (supposed) 40-50% IPC increase over my 9900K is a BIG deal for what I use my PC for and would make a real difference, but I'm also interested in these new 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPU's coming early next year. Alder Lake is a first generation platform with all the trouble that usually means for the early adopters whilst Ryzen is now a stable mature platform, a 5900/5950 with the new cache feature will, I'm sure, be in the same ballpark performance wise, with none of the problems of early Alder Lake Adoption.

I certainly won't make a decision until the new year with Alder Lake though until I've seen if there are any horror stories with them and the new Motherboards..

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm at the beginning of planning for a new PC and its new Tech so lets see how it rolls out.
30 years have taught me to wait till the hype dies down, and the facts are known.

Only problem is these days is if the hype is real then the stock is gone.

Was there a shortage of i5 2500Ks when it was all the rage?

Soldato
Not that I remember, maybe some price inflation but nothing like current train wreck that supplies are right now.

Supply is pretty reasonable. 5700G numbers are patchy and 7**3 EPYC is in huge demand, but everything else is seems pretty plentiful. Unless you’re talking about RTX 3000 supply.

Soldato
Supply is pretty reasonable. 5700G numbers are patchy and 7**3 EPYC is in huge demand, but everything else is seems pretty plentiful. Unless you’re talking about RTX 3000 supply.
It don't really make sense for AMD to waste the limited 7nm silicon on a 5700G though when they can knock out even a 5950X for less.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do not remember but those 2500k everybody wanted one. great cpu.

Yep, everyone and their granny was ordering them like crazy on this very forum that I remember back in 2011/12. I honestly don't remember any shortages. It was never ending sell, sell, sell. Arrive, arrive, arrive.

So how was there so much stock back then for chips, gpus and so on compared to today. Yes covid but still. You sneeze no matter what today and there is a shortage.

Associate
Yep, everyone and their granny was ordering them like crazy on this very forum that I remember back in 2011/12. I honestly don't remember any shortages. It was never ending sell, sell, sell. Arrive, arrive, arrive.

So how was there so much stock back then for chips, gpus and so on compared to today. Yes covid but still. You sneeze no matter what today and there is a shortage.

yep it all looks a bit suspect.

Back
Top Bottom