Air in = Air out, why bother with cable management?

Associate
My cable management is rather poor to say the least.

Lazy attention to reliable connections is definitely a no-no. That would be a step too far, even for me. I do realise bad connections can cause all manner of issues.
As long as the connectors are properly secure then I'm quite ok with that.

Yes, it's nice to have a neat and tidy pc. Personally, I'd be a wee bit embarrassed to show pics of my (lack of) cable management. Hey ho, I'll live with it.

But what about airflow? Well, I reckon as long as there are no cable looms immediately blocking air flow over major components then It'll be fine. Air in = air out. It's not as though there is a build up, log jam, of air inside the case. Airflow Eddy? nah, doubt it.

What do you think?

Associate
OP
It aids airflow to have tidy cable management. Its easier for maintenance too. And it looks pleasing if you have a window..

But is it really easier for maintenance? Undoing cable ties, replacing parts then redoing cable ties. Loose lying cable seems easier to me.
Don't get me wrong. I admire those who maintain a tidy pc. Yes, it does look pleasing. Very much so. I'm jealous of those who proudly show pics of their Pc with well managed cabling. (Almost feel guilty when I think of my lack of attention to cable management:)
As long as major components have airflow then how much difference does it make?

V F

V F

Soldato
But is it really easier for maintenance? Undoing cable ties, replacing parts then redoing cable ties. Loose lying cable seems easier to me.
Don't get me wrong. I admire those who maintain a tidy pc. Yes, it does look pleasing. Very much so. I'm jealous of those who proudly show pics of their Pc with well managed cabling. (Almost feel guilty when I think of my lack of attention to cable management:)
As long as major components have airflow then how much difference does it make?

It is very easy if you use velcro cable ties.

Associate
Agreed, i keep mine organised but i'm a bit OCD generally. Even if i had no window i'd do it nicely. But it definitely takes longer, takes longer for maintenance, and makes zero airflow difference. PSU shrouds are what i think are bizarre, why hide your drives and power unit?

V F

V F

Soldato
All about looking nicer in the window, with the advent of more space behind motherboard it's become a lot easier. Mines a touch messy behind but can't be seen. :p

Remember the days when there were no spaces behind the motherboard trays. Lots and lots of ghostly white molex connectors everywhere. ATX power connectors and 4 pin coming across the left hand side of the motherboard. As well as IDE cables everywhere.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/669/thermaltake-xaser-iii

Fun times, NOT. :cry: https://www.somacon.com/p420.php

Permabanned
Remember the days when there were no spaces behind the motherboard trays. Lots and lots of ghostly white molex connectors everywhere. ATX power connectors and 4 pin coming across the left hand side of the motherboard. As well as IDE cables everywhere.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/669/thermaltake-xaser-iii

Fun times, NOT. :cry: https://www.somacon.com/p420.php

Yeah used to be a right mess/difficult. Though crucially it never actually mattered, less window cases and RGB:)rolleyes:) then. :cry:

Associate
My cable management is rather poor to say the least.

Lazy attention to reliable connections is definitely a no-no. That would be a step too far, even for me. I do realise bad connections can cause all manner of issues.
As long as the connectors are properly secure then I'm quite ok with that.

Yes, it's nice to have a neat and tidy pc. Personally, I'd be a wee bit embarrassed to show pics of my (lack of) cable management. Hey ho, I'll live with it.

But what about airflow? Well, I reckon as long as there are no cable looms immediately blocking air flow over major components then It'll be fine. Air in = air out. It's not as though there is a build up, log jam, of air inside the case. Airflow Eddy? nah, doubt it.

What do you think?

Cable management for airflow is not to much of a thing now days as cases and fans have come a long way over the years, I would say its defianatly more of an aethetic thing but as someone already stated it does make trouble shooting easier.

Oh, you mucky tart! :)

Lol.

Associate
I feel like an under-represented part of the "airflow" discussion leaves out dust. Even with filters it's getting in and the more stuff "in the way", the more deposits you get (in my experience anyway). A little extra time in cable tidying saves a bit of cleaning time every 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom