The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Been waiting for the A7IV. Looking to buy my first camera. I think it was between that and a fuji xt4.

I was in the same boat only between the A7III and the X-T4.
I borrowed my Dad's A7III for a few weeks and whilst technically great it's just so boring and has zero character so ended up buying the X-T4, zero regrets so far, I love it.

There isn't much of a difference in price between the two systems once you start buying Fuji's good glass but it's a smaller lighter system.

Associate
I was in the same boat only between the A7III and the X-T4.
I borrowed my Dad's A7III for a few weeks and whilst technically great it's just so boring and has zero character so ended up buying the X-T4, zero regrets so far, I love it.

There isn't much of a difference in price between the two systems once you start buying Fuji's good glass but it's a smaller lighter system.

I was leaning towards the Sony more for landscape photography. The fuji does seem to be loved though.

Caporegime
Yeah, it's a tough decision.

Someone posted this on reddit which pretty much sums it up.

"Sony makes the best mirrorless camera engineers can produce."
"Fuji makes the best mirrorless camera photographers can produce."

Speaking from someone who has both Sony and Fuji systems...not sure what that means.

They are pretty much the same as the other if you take away the cropped aspect. They both have dials, they both are mirrorless and the Sony isn't actually that much larger than the Fuji either.

It's only that the Sony lenses are larger, but that's the 1.4 lenses but that also depends on which one. A 35GM isn't that much larger than a Fuji 23/1.4.

It's very hard to say which one is better without any sense of bias or subjective aspect. 1 Objective truth is that Sony has more lenses and 3rd party support. Fuji don't really have that unless you count adapted lenses which let's be honest, it's not the same and quite crap to use in reality.

Associate
Speaking from someone who has both Sony and Fuji systems...not sure what that means.

As in, for pixel peepers chasing the very best output etc the Sony will be better but the overall enjoyment of picking up and using a camera, is better with a Fuji. You're right on lenses, they're meant to be opening up the X mount but you're pretty much tied to a few Viltrox and one Sigma at the moment, the amount of primes that are so similar in spec seems a bit ridiculous as well.

I'd argue any high end camera from any manufacturer will be more than capable for most people these days though, it's the glass and what you end up doing with it that's limiting.

Caporegime
Is it enough if an improvement over the much cheaper a7iii ?

Most stuff are quality of life improvements.

better EVF, bigger buffer, better LCD with flip screen, easier now to use to tether and vlog or stream, more ergonomic and more pixels.

AF is a little better and I think the colours are nicer but everything is a little bit, nothing massive like between 2 to 3.

Soldato
On initial inspection there appears to be nothing there that makes enough of a huge difference that would cause me to upgrade from the III-especially when I take into consideration I also have the RIV. Reviewers said the same thing about the RIII when comparing it to the RIV.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the Sony A7IV had a stacked sensor with true silent shooting it would have been a no-brainer for me. Lets see what happens with the Sony A7R5/A75. Until then, my A7R3 will continue to do its duty.

Associate
If the Sony A7IV had a stacked sensor with true silent shooting it would have been a no-brainer for me. Lets see what happens with the Sony A7R5/A75. Until then, my A7R3 will continue to do its duty.

There was never any realistic prospect of it getting a stacked sensor, hell I'd be impressed if they managed to implement focus stacking...

Caporegime
There was never any realistic prospect of it getting a stacked sensor, hell I'd be impressed if they managed to implement focus stacking...
I think that many high-end sensors will be stacked at some point, it's just a question of when the tech is refined to a higher MP, gets cheaper and trickles down. I really, really want true silent shooting with no rolling shutter on a higher MP camera. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom