What 4K, 120hz+, 30”+ options are coming?

Associate
Don't let you trick ;). The Gigabytes vrr is ununseable below 100 hz. The reason for this is the slow panel. They had to increase the voltage for achieving 144 refreshes per second. This voltage is too strong for vrr @ <100 hz. It will produce below this frequency distracting corona effect.

To avoid it you need variable overdrive, which only g-sync module monitor is offering. It's using many different overdrive settings for different frequencies ;).

Associate
Just got my M32U. It's an excellent monitor and I couldn't be happier with it. Looks great and Gsync both under and over 100hz is absolutely perfect. So I'm not sure what the guy above is talking about. Sounds like he has an agenda and is overly aggressive, so I would take his opinion with a grain of salt. Check out the rtings review, they know what they're talking about.

Soldato
Too bad that panel is likely same meh response time one like in Asus PG32UQ/MSI MPG321UR-QD.
And hence would need 100% spot on overdrive tuning to do at least approaching modern response times.
(Asus might have even cancelled actual world wide availability of PG32UQ/put it on hold)

Unfortunately these AU Optronics 32" 4K panels seem to be last gen of last gen tech in response times compared to their 27" 2560x1440 panels.
(including FALD panel in insanely priced Asus PG32UQX)

Hopefully at least 512 zone FALD panels which should be going into production now are updated tech.

Associate
Yeah, it`s not looking promising, I don`t think any of the 32" 4K monitors have sparkling reviews and don`t seem to be as good as the 27" models.

Associate
The M32U is a good one though... I'd say give it a while as 32" 4k monitors have only been a thing relatively recently compared to the 27" ones..

Soldato
Yeah, it`s not looking promising, I don`t think any of the 32" 4K monitors have sparkling reviews and don`t seem to be as good as the 27" models.
The Gigabyte M32U is brilliant for the money, I’ve had mine for a week now and it’s awesome, worth the £750 I paid, I’d have been happy paying £1000 for it.

Soldato
The M32U is a good one though... I'd say give it a while as 32" 4k monitors have only been a thing relatively recently compared to the 27" ones..
If coming from sRGB monitor/not bothered by only semi wide gamut, or half assed HDMI 2.1, that's definitely the best balanced 32" model with better tuned overdrive compared to FI32U.

But for someone who's used AdobeRGB gamut monitor for over dozen years, it's lackluster and not deserving any wide gamut marketing hype...

Associate
It's weird as you wouldn't think the technology is all that different for a few inches bigger
you wouldn`t think it would be too much of a problem but it seems that there isn`t anything on the horizon at the moment with decent HDR and refresh rates without overshoot issues.
I think I might just bite the bullet and go for a 27" monitor as there seems to be a better choice, albeit some are still using last gen panels.
I just wish I could use 48" for a monitor then I would just buy a LG OLED TV but it`s just way too big.

Soldato
So anything announced at CES that might tick the boxes for this thread?
There was more info ~three weeks ago announced Acer X32 FP, which uses new AU Optronics FALD panel with hopefully modern response times.
Unlike mediocre response time panel in Asus PG32UQ/MSI MPG321UR-QD/Viewsonic XG320U, or even slower in PG32UQX.

Also that LG 32GQ950 is definitely interesting, because LG has very good modern response times with well tuned overdrive.
IPS glow eliminating A-TW polarizer is also making comeback in it. (AUO panel also has something similar in PG32UQX)
But who knows if it becomes actually available anywhere before Christmas, because LG's panel roadmap didn't include such panel except for summer.
(Finnish shops haven't yet received a single 27GP950!)
And while maker of the widest gamut panels in the past, lately LG has been been incapable to getting over DCI-P3.

Soldato
I’ve only noticed the LG 32GQ950 at the moment.

There was more info ~three weeks ago announced Acer X32 FP, which uses new AU Optronics FALD panel with hopefully modern response times.
Unlike mediocre response time panel in Asus PG32UQ/MSI MPG321UR-QD/Viewsonic XG320U, or even slower in PG32UQX.

Also that LG 32GQ950 is definitely interesting, because LG has very good modern response times with well tuned overdrive.
IPS glow eliminating A-TW polarizer is also making comeback in it. (AUO panel also has something similar in PG32UQX)
But who knows if it becomes actually available anywhere before Christmas, because LG's panel roadmap didn't include such panel except for summer.
(Finnish shops haven't yet received a single 27GP950!)
And while maker of the widest gamut panels in the past, lately LG has been been incapable to getting over DCI-P3.

Thanks guys. So some potentially interesting panels, but little info on price or availability. Fingers crossed, eh!

Soldato
Thanks guys. So some potentially interesting panels, but little info on price or availability. Fingers crossed, eh!
Acer should come out during spring with planned mass production start of panel (M320QAN02.8) in last year.
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/au-optronics-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2021
And pretty sure there's been pressure from display makers for AUO to get competive response time panel into production.
Though with 576 zone FALD backlight it's obviously going to be more expensive than M320QAN02.3 monitors like PG32UQ.
A-TW style polarizer would likely also cost more.

Unlike LG who had pushed back planned production of their panel by half years in last roadmap.
In our last update this wasn’t expected to go in to production until Q4 2021, but is now listed as Q2 2022...
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-display-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2021

Back
Top Bottom