Best password manager/2FA manager for multiple devices

Associate
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread (to the op and the responses) because over the last few days it prompted me to improve my password manager.

As mentioned earlier I've been running a KeePass 1.x database since 2005 on its own USB stick. Whilst very secure it wasn't always convenient, or useful for multiple devices. So over the weekend I've manually moved all the contents over to KeePass XC and Bitwarden. KeePass XC for important details I don't need that often (i.e. Steam, Bank etc.) and Bitwarden for websites and often used stuff.

Although I'm happy with both, the new experience with Bitwarden is good. I've never used another password manager so don't have experience of 1Password or LastPass. However Bitwarden seems to do the key basic things well and the core free functionality is very generous. Whilst I get 1Password is more mature and does certain things better I'm not sure I need that. Bitwarden is very fast at retrieving or pasting details in. I also love the fact that it's open-source and only $10 per year (which is a fraction of its peers). At some point I might trial 1Password.

Either way pretty happy with the new setup. And whilst manually creating everything was laborious and slower than just importing everything, it was also a good chance to audit all my accounts for ones I don't need anymore. After yesterday I starting closing down some accounts, or contacting websites to be removed. I have done this once or twice before but I do think that whatever system you use that is quite an important process to remove your data from redundant accounts/services.

Associate
I have used 1Password for a few years now, takes the hassle out of everything and the extensions seem to work better then previous ones I had used with autofill's.

Unique Password just for 1Password and a Yubikey attached to it puts my mind at ease overall too.

Soldato
1Password (14 day free trial) or $2.99 a month, cheaper if you pay annually.

It's a full-featured password manager and can generate 2FA tokens. There's a handy browser extension which allows you to autofill personal/banking/login information with a single click.

Bitwarden, as well as being open source, does all that and more. It works across Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, Android etc - with browser extensions, native phone password manager integration and standalone apps... All for less than a third of the price of 1password (£10 a year). Or you can self-host Vaultwarden for free with all features included.

BitWarden / VaultWarden + authy

So good you replied twice. ;) Was there a thread merge?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Bitwarden, as well as being open source, does all that and more. It works across Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, Android etc - with browser extensions, native phone password manager integration and standalone apps... All for less than a third of the price of 1password (£10 a year). Or you can self-host Vaultwarden for free with all features included.

See post #18: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35183251/

I actually found the Bitwarden app much less feature-rich.

Soldato
See post #18: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35183251/

I actually found the Bitwarden app much less feature-rich.

I did see your post. A lot of them can be remedied with RTFM and possibly upgrading your sub (eg separate work/personal profiles, enterprise features, multiple vaults, families feature). As I said if you run Vaultwarden (Rust implementation) yourself, you get all features included gratis because it's FOSS. Whatever works for you, after all it's a tool that's supposed to make *your* workflow better - and nobody's workflow is the same. :)

Back
Top Bottom