Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
The tech chap is my other UK reviewer of choice. He gives it a great review.

Lol Nah, I'm not an impulse buyer (especially not things of this value) and TBH I've still not justified it to myself as my current phone is perfectly fine and does pretty much all I need...

Honestly the headphones were what sealed the deal, if I miss out on the pre order bonus I'll wait until there's a better deal in 6 months time. It's not like I'd get anything decent for my phone either, they're worth about £100 on the MM/trade in currently.

When it comes to low stock levels and ease returns its a no brainer.

Soldato
Unbox only, specs only no mention of anything, nothing bar the home screen etc. Bit weird and held until 25th which is 2 days before preorder bonus expires..

Then you have people moan that software isn't finished because they rushed out the review not waiting for software updates.

Personally, it's all a bit exaggerated.

Soldato
Then you have people moan that software isn't finished because they rushed out the review not waiting for software updates.

Personally, it's all a bit exaggerated.
I know where you're coming from but also, the reviews don't happen in a day tech spurt for e.g. had his for over a week etc. All others have had it for 2 weeks or so too, for e.g. mrwhostheboss with his meh camera review, bet ya new software will fix these those noise issues but the review is out. Don't think there's a "good" way to release the device imo

Man of Honour
I'm not really a "selfie" man, and the videos are mainly to capture my kids. So for my perspective that's not a massive issue - even if it isn't good. That said it'll either get fixed with software, and it's also not particularly bad in my opinion.

I do take a tonne of pictures and on my commute having a bigger screen may actually be nice. So the camera is good, and the screen is nice, and the google ecosystem is what I like - so it's spot on for me at least. I can understand why it may not be for everyone.

Soldato
Honestly if it was £1k for regular and 1.2k for pro I'd say it's a meh release from Google but 600/850 pricing imo is aggressive and for that price they're both great.

Soldato
I have never been interested in 'selfies' either.

My phone's camera gets used for family days or holidays.

Really happy with the non pro purchase after watching tech spurts review. So much value in the phone and massive upgrade from my mate20 lite.

Caporegime
Good blind test comparing the cameras on the Pixel 6 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro. Didn't realise how good the iPhone was at low light and night time photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlZMzM4Pq4

Must admit, I was expecting a lot more from the Pixel cameras this year with the new hardware. They were miles ahead of the competition two or three years ago, seems like it's a mixed bag this year with them excelling in some scenarios and failing in others compared to the competition. Hopefully software updates can fix some of the glaring weaknesses like low light photography and portrait photos.

Edit: How long has call screening been available in the UK? My brother just rang and a call screen button appeared, worked as expected.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't the guy behind the pixel camera jump ship and move to Adobe? Maybe this is the end result... Or just that the competition have finally cought up.

Caporegime
Didn't the guy behind the pixel camera jump ship and move to Adobe? Maybe this is the end result... Or just that the competition have finally cought up.
I'd say a bit of both. Dave2D seems to think there's barely any difference between the 5 and 6 so it might be a case of not having the expertise, now Mark Levoy's left, to get the best out of the new hardware.

Associate
Well I'm rather miffed the pro has sold out pretty much everywhere... 850 without the free headphones leaves me a bit meh with the headphones it's an absolute steal surely. I paid a chunk more for the 4xl

Back
Top Bottom