End of the world (ish) scenario 99% mortality

Soldato
Head for London, plenty of good places to live and plenty of food. Unless it was a zombie outbreak or some other contagion then it would be the countryside.

London would be total chaos with selfish people all fighting over the remaining bog roll. Get as far away from there as possible.

Soldato
London would be total chaos with selfish people all fighting over the remaining bog roll. Get as far away from there as possible.

More supermarkets per head though where it used to be so densely populated.

A large portion of people should rebuild society around several cities as most the infrastructure would be close to hand. Fan out from those to get some farms going so produce doesn't have to travel far.

Soldato
Yes, we saw them in action in Chernobyl and Fukushima, they work well...

They were not left unattended, different scenario.

I don't know about that - wouldn't the electricity supply die pretty quickly? Power stations don't run themselves.

I don't know how long it would last, maybe a few days? probably enough to put some global plan into action, also remember 1% of people are still alive, so some people still can make things work, use solar power, wind power etc etc... so maybe the first thing I would do is go into all homes around me and turn off the power :D

Caporegime
The tsunami and the failure of the nuclear plant caused that many deaths, and at least that many displacements. Even the Guardian agrees:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/m
The tsunami and the failure of the nuclear plant caused that many deaths, and at least that many displacements. Even the Guardian agrees:

[URL]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/japan-marks-ten-years-since-triple-disaster-killed-18500-people
Nuclear power is on the bleeding edge of global safety risks, IMO and the more plants that get built the higher the risk of more disasters, maybe on a much much greater scale. Just get the population down and nail down migration meanwhile.

ar/11/japan-marks-ten-years-since-triple-disaster-killed-18500-people[/URL]

Nuclear power is on the bleeding edge of global safety risks, IMO and the more plants that get built the higher the risk of more disasters, maybe on a much much greater scale. Just get the population down and nail down migration meanwhile.

They died in the tsunami not the reactor problem

Soldato
OP
I got one fact wrong apparently captain trips was 99.4 mortaliy (if mentioned i didnt spot it)
Not sure about war of the worlds, in the series its some sort of sonic explosion that kills them instantly, survivers happened to be underground ect

Caporegime
More supermarkets per head though where it used to be so densely populated.

A large portion of people should rebuild society around several cities as most the infrastructure would be close to hand. Fan out from those to get some farms going so produce doesn't have to travel far.

Also more chance of something to go wrong. Tightly knit buildings one on top of the other. What happens if a fire breaks out which it will. All of London will burn because now you only have 1% of the emergency services in place to deal with it all.

Supermarkets also isn't where the gold is in a situation like this. It's cash and carrys. Costco is what I'd be aiming for not Lidl.

Gather your gang and weapons and head to Costco and just live there. I'm sure they sell mattresses, hot tubs for bathing in, etc. Has everything you need bar weapons. Even has a petrol station.

Soldato
Also more chance of something to go wrong. Tightly knit buildings one on top of the other. What happens if a fire breaks out which it will. All of London will burn because now you only have 1% of the emergency services in place to deal with it all.

Supermarkets also isn't where the gold is in a situation like this. It's cash and carrys. Costco is what I'd be aiming for not Lidl.

Gather your gang and weapons and head to Costco and just live there. I'm sure they sell mattresses, hot tubs for bathing in, etc. Has everything you need bar weapons. Even has a petrol station.

Costcos are on massive plots of land so you'll need some sort of security force and barrier around the whole place, especially the petrol station.

Builders yards are another thing you'll need to capture. plenty of supplies, generators, tools (used for weapons too) etc

Soldato
Costcos :cry:

I'd raid a pharmacy, if they've ready been looted then a vets for meds then hike off to the middle of Wales, there will be no people and loads of vacant properties with guns and free food roaming the hillside. Got it all planned.

Caporegime
Costcos are on massive plots of land so you'll need some sort of security force and barrier around the whole place, especially the petrol station.

Builders yards are another thing you'll need to capture. plenty of supplies, generators, tools (used for weapons too) etc

That's exactly what you want a massive plot of empty land around it. Then all you need is binoculars and sniper rifles on the roof. No need for a fence or barricade at all. Unless there are zombies which i don't believe there is in this scenario. One warning shot and they should scarper.

Soldato
That's exactly what you want a massive plot of empty land around it. Then all you need is binoculars and sniper rifles on the roof. No need for a fence or barricade at all. Unless there are zombies which i don't believe there is in this scenario. One warning shot and they should scarper.

I take it you never been to Chad in Derby then.. :D

Soldato

I'll barter some nice Waitrose food for a bulk order of fire extinguishers if Costco have those.;)

I'll take the apartment overlooking the Thames rather than slumming it in Costco any day of the week.

Caporegime
I'll barter some nice Waitrose food for a bulk order of fire extinguishers if Costco have those.;)

I'll take the apartment overlooking the Thames rather than slumming it in Costco any day of the week.

There is only so much bog roll you could carry back to your apartment. Best to just protect the source.

Soldato
If 99% of people just dropped dead you wouldn't want to be near any large population center especially a large city. With that amount of dead bodies rotting disease and the stench would be unbearable. Defending a Costco with sniper rifles is laughable :cry::cry:

Soldato
I'd camp in some suburban woods and make forays into town. Initially I'd focus on long life foods such as tins, and then gradually as my survival skills improve I'll live off the land. Maybe the occasional further foray into town now and again.

Soldato
For me I would go to the nearest military base and get weapons
1% of the military will still be around to stop you... plus very few people on a base will be able to access the armoury, and there's no guarantee any of them will be in that 1%.
So unless you have the keys and door codes yourself, or you're somehow just so charismatic that the military will outright give you their shooty-bangs, I expect you'll be leaving empty handed... or staying right wherever they dropped you!

Soldato
First I'd raid the nearest book store for "how to survive off the land, farming, survivalist" type books as, once the internet/power etc goes (say within a few days), 99.9% of the people left won't have a clue how to live sustainably. Then I'd hit a chemist for some antibiotics then a Go-Outdoors/Blacks type place for some more camping type gear. Probably make a few caches around the local area of heavier bits and pieces too.

The roads would be carnage with all the dead filled crashed and burning cars, lorries, buses etc so you're not getting out "on road" for a while so, unless you have a proper 4x4 which can actually go off-road (not just a Katie Price Rangey with a set of road tyres), you'll probably be walking a lot so bear that in mind too. Military bases will still have some folks around, you "might" be able to pick-up a rifle or two and a small amount of ammo from whoever died when guarding the place but, unless you were there when it happened, you'll probably be too late to get anything other than a welcoming shower of 5.56mm goodness coming your way :D

The big choice would be "stay or go?" - Somewhere like Stoke would drop to 2500 people, thats still enough to see people about and have enough food/water in the hundreds of thousands of supermarkets, shops and homes etc without ever fully emptying the place so you could Stay, but then the dead would rapidly become a health hazard alongside some of the locals, so would you Go?

Back
Top Bottom