Self entitled people

Caporegime
Are fire exits only used when there is a fire?
You do know that the other name for them is the emergency exit.

In shops yes, that's why they are alarmed/have ceramic break bars and padlocks

Also are you seriously suggesting that we should ignore safety protocol if the chance of something happening low?
Let me guess you don't wear a seat belt when you drive because the chances of being in an accident are low.:rolleyes:

No I don't because strapping myself to 250kg of metal and petrol would be insanely dangerous :p

History is filled with complacent people like you who got themselves or others killed. Go see the Alec Baldwin situation. My suspicion is someone got complacent and didn't do there checks properly.

So just be to clear a few people standing infront of a tescos means everyone is gonna die if there's a fire, when the alarms sound and the staff say "fire move" the pensioners will act like a defensive line amd hold the shoppers in instead of scampering?

This shop only having the main door as a fire door?

Soldato
Okay, I'll risk the examination of GD with this example of moving people into the rain. :cry:

During the peak of Covid last year, we were limiting how many customers we could have in the store. When we hit that limit we had marshalls on the door operating one in one out. One day it is of course raining very hard... there are people stood outside in the queue and of course people not wanting to leave the store. I had to ask some people to leave into the rain as we couldn't let more customers in until they left. (There was no cover to queue under, we had some umbrellas but not enough) Some refused even though I pointed out it meant we had to leave others standing outside.

I'm with the poster above, it's rain not acid. Surely when you set out you knew there was a good chance of rain, so would be dressed reasonably suitably?

Caporegime
Okay, I'll risk the examination of GD with this example of moving people into the rain. :cry:

During the peak of Covid last year, we were limiting how many customers we could have in the store. When we hit that limit we had marshalls on the door operating one in one out. One day it is of course raining very hard... there are people stood outside in the queue and of course people not wanting to leave the store. I had to ask some people to leave into the rain as we couldn't let more customers in until they left. (There was no cover to queue under, we had some umbrellas but not enough) Some refused even though I pointed out it meant we had to leave others standing outside.

I'm with the poster above, it's rain not acid. Surely when you set out you knew there was a good chance of rain, so would be dressed reasonably suitably?

It's Britain who's setting out not expecting rain?

Soldato

I have been outside in all weathers both at work and in other situations. Having to remove 7ft advertising banners in 40mph and heavy rain isn’t fun. Had to be removed as promotion ended before the morning.

Man of Honour
Soo close to the right answer. Walk it through step by step.

You say they don't have much choice, is that because people would force them to move by pushing them?

What happens when people start pushing and shoving in crowded situations? People fall over do you agree or disagree?

If people fall over in such situations they will get stomped on which can and has led to serious injury and death. There is a reason why you are not allowed to shout fire in a crowded room.

Now if people die because the fire exit of a store was blocked what do you think would happen to the store owner and any fire wardens that were working at the store at the time?
Do you think they would be held responsible for those deaths due to negligence on their parts?

I just have an issue with the poorly thought out suggestions to such a scenario. Thankfully no deers were harmed or there would be a right **** storm in this thread.

If you wish to discuss the believability of the story that is a different matter

You should write the next final destination movie.

Soldato
So just be to clear a few people standing infront of a tescos means everyone is gonna die if there's a fire, when the alarms sound and the staff say "fire move" the pensioners will act like a defensive line amd hold the shoppers in instead of scampering?

This shop only having the main door as a fire door?

I didn't know Cathy Newman browsed these forums.

Soldato
I am finding that elderly people, 60-80 years range are increasingly becoming entitled & ignorant in my line of work. I work in public transport.

Some of our tickets (multi-operator) still need manual processing so it's a case of visually checking then a few button presses to register on the machine.
So a passenger will show you and then you start pressing. I'll tell, politely, the next passenger, elderly who has a smart pass, to wait a moment and they'll completely ignore you, scan the pass, which does 2 things, erases any progress in the previous ticket entry & rejects the smart pass.

But they'll just saunter down the bus despite me calling them back.

I can't wait for the TOTO (tap on, tap off) system to be fully installed, that's gonna be fun as currently if they don't scan when getting off they can't use the pass again until that bus completes it's journey and the system releases the pass as it thinks they're still on board till then.

Permabanned
I am finding that elderly people, 60-80 years range are increasingly becoming entitled & ignorant in my line of work. I work in public transport.

Some of our tickets (multi-operator) still need manual processing so it's a case of visually checking then a few button presses to register on the machine.
So a passenger will show you and then you start pressing. I'll tell, politely, the next passenger, elderly who has a smart pass, to wait a moment and they'll completely ignore you, scan the pass, which does 2 things, erases any progress in the previous ticket entry & rejects the smart pass.

But they'll just saunter down the bus despite me calling them back.

I can't wait for the TOTO (tap on, tap off) system to be fully installed, that's gonna be fun as currently if they don't scan when getting off they can't use the pass again until that bus completes it's journey and the system releases the pass as it thinks they're still on board till then.

Tap on tap off??? I had immediate thoughts of Benny Hill slapping that balding old geezer's head.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU28GHMcYxM

Soldato
On the subject of elderly and buses. Why do some stand by a bus stop at least 40 mins before the bus passes let free travel - after 9:30am?

Before the pandemic, I had a hospital appt at 9:40am. I took the bus. Next stop along, there was an elderly lady (mid 80s) asking could she get on the bus for free as it’s cold? It was around 8:50am.
This isn’t an isolated case as walk/drive past a couple of bus stops before 9:30 and at least 6 elderly people per stop. I know my dad sometimes has to get a pre 9:30 bus as got hospital appt. But 12 people? Of which most are the same each time.

Soldato
On the subject of elderly and buses. Why do some stand by a bus stop at least 40 mins before the bus passes let free travel - after 9:30am?

Before the pandemic, I had a hospital appt at 9:40am. I took the bus. Next stop along, there was an elderly lady (mid 80s) asking could she get on the bus for free as it’s cold? It was around 8:50am.
This isn’t an isolated case as walk/drive past a couple of bus stops before 9:30 and at least 6 elderly people per stop. I know my dad sometimes has to get a pre 9:30 bus as got hospital appt. But 12 people? Of which most are the same each time.

OH YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

I've had them trying to use their pass at 0600 before. Some drivers are idiots and let them on so you get the "the other driver let us on" arguement. I just remind them that they agreed to the T&Cs when they applied for the pass and if they're not willing to follow those T&Cs then I'll withdraw the pass & return it to Transport Services.

I've even had one old dear get on at 0910 - "I'll scan my pass when I get off in town" (trip ended at 0934). She was swiftly put in her place.

It's always the SAME ones every day too. It's like there's some secret game in which they win a bag of Werthers if they're able to get on the earliest without paying.

It's the same at the other end of the time restrictions. Passes aren't valid after 2300 yet you'll get em, ****** as a newt having been in the WMC since 1600, trying to get on the last bus at 2320 & beyond. They get told to pay up or walk.

The limited passenger numbers were extremely fun when Doris & Derek were travelling into town daily, you know against the "necessary travel only" edict and I was having to leave people who were trying to get to work because Team Tena had filled the capacity. I was so close to exploding on those days.

Back
Top Bottom