Self entitled people

Permabanned
On the subject of elderly and buses. Why do some stand by a bus stop at least 40 mins before the bus passes let free travel - after 9:30am?

Before the pandemic, I had a hospital appt at 9:40am. I took the bus. Next stop along, there was an elderly lady (mid 80s) asking could she get on the bus for free as it’s cold? It was around 8:50am.
This isn’t an isolated case as walk/drive past a couple of bus stops before 9:30 and at least 6 elderly people per stop. I know my dad sometimes has to get a pre 9:30 bus as got hospital appt. But 12 people? Of which most are the same each time.

My best guess is they get to the stop early to find sympathetic company and a chat as they may live alone and feel lonely. But those here with less empathy may be correct and they congregate there in a pre planned ruse to wind up the bus driver ;)

Soldato
Tbf they're taking the pee out of young people too.
Really ****** me off when the elder folk think the youngsters are rude! They don’t understand themselves they are the rude ones. How many young adults push in the queue, barge into you without apologising? (Even in social distancing days), stood too close to myself and colleagues during the SD days, stepped back - they stepped forwards, put money in their mouths and deny they did it plus ‘claim’ that they bought a certain item last week from my work when we haven’t sold it for at least a few years - then say we are liars? Hardly anyone.

Then a couple of years ago, an man in his 80s asked me why don’t we sell a flavour in a branded yoghurt. I went onto the brand’s website on the computer at the CSD and under products- the flavour wasn’t listed. I said the brand has been discontinued.
“That’s not good enough” the man snapped. I did give him the freephone number for the brand. Hated the way he blamed me and my employer stopping the flavour. Whereas a younger person would say “Far enough. Thanks for looking”

OH YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

I've had them trying to use their pass at 0600 before. Some drivers are idiots and let them on so you get the "the other driver let us on" arguement. I just remind them that they agreed to the T&Cs when they applied for the pass and if they're not willing to follow those T&Cs then I'll withdraw the pass & return it to Transport Services.

I've even had one old dear get on at 0910 - "I'll scan my pass when I get off in town" (trip ended at 0934). She was swiftly put in her place.

It's always the SAME ones every day too. It's like there's some secret game in which they win a bag of Werthers if they're able to get on the earliest without paying.

It's the same at the other end of the time restrictions. Passes aren't valid after 2300 yet you'll get em, ****** as a newt having been in the WMC since 1600, trying to get on the last bus at 2320 & beyond. They get told to pay up or walk.

The limited passenger numbers were extremely fun when Doris & Derek were travelling into town daily, you know against the "necessary travel only" edict and I was having to leave people who were trying to get to work because Team Tena had filled the capacity. I was so close to exploding on those days.
Why do they do this? Why would any elderly person want to stand outside when it’s freezing cold? Never understood this. My dad doesn’t mind paying the odd single bus fare if he has a pre 10:30am hospital appt. Then he goes on the return bus for free. He prefers earlier appts as the delays build up during the day. If seen before 9:30am, you are seen to pretty much on time. Whereas a 11am appointment, you are less likely to be seen on time. Plus less time wearing masks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Tap on tap off??? I had immediate thoughts of Benny Hill slapping that balding old geezer's head.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU28GHMcYxM

Sorry, missed this last night

TOTO is, I believe, the system used by Oyster in London.

You get on the bus/tram and tap your pre-paid smartcard/bank card as you board (Tap on) then tap the same card again as you get off. The system then charges you the correct fare.

Soldato
Really ****** me off when the elder folk think the youngsters are rude! They don’t understand themselves they are the rude ones. How many young adults push in the queue, barge into you without apologising? (Even in social distancing days), stood too close to myself and colleagues during the SD days, stepped back - they stepped forwards, put money in their mouths and deny they did it plus ‘claim’ that they bought a certain item last week from my work when we haven’t sold it for at least a few years - then say we are liars? Hardly anyone.

Then a couple of years ago, an man in his 80s asked me why don’t we sell a flavour in a branded yoghurt. I went onto the brand’s website on the computer at the CSD and under products- the flavour wasn’t listed. I said the brand has been discontinued.
“That’s not good enough” the man snapped. I did give him the freephone number for the brand. Hated the way he blamed me and my employer stopping the flavour. Whereas a younger person would say “Far enough. Thanks for looking”

The worst one I've encountered so far was one Doris who barged to the front of a queue of 30+ waiting for the bus (including myself who was waiting to change with the driver). When told that she would need to go to the back of the queue and wait till everyone else who was waiting before her she screeched "I'VE GOT A PASS". She was sternly told it allows free travel only and that the only passengers that get priority boarding are wheelchair users (easier to board them on an empty bus).

Don't get me wrong, some of the eldery passengers are fantastic, just a shame they seem to be a minority.

Soldato
Sorry, missed this last night

TOTO is, I believe, the system used by Oyster in London.

You get on the bus/tram and tap your pre-paid smartcard/bank card as you board (Tap on) then tap the same card again as you get off. The system then charges you the correct fare.

You dont tap off a bus in london, you only tap in, the fare is always the same.

Soldato
The worst one I've encountered so far was one Doris who barged to the front of a queue of 30+ waiting for the bus (including myself who was waiting to change with the driver). When told that she would need to go to the back of the queue and wait till everyone else who was waiting before her she screeched "I'VE GOT A PASS". She was sternly told it allows free travel only and that the only passengers that get priority boarding are wheelchair users (easier to board them on an empty bus).

Don't get me wrong, some of the eldery passengers are fantastic, just a shame they seem to be a minority.
Some self entitled elderly people need to have their actions recorded and played back to them. It will really show them up.

A couple of years ago, an elderly woman said could she go in front as got dental appointment in 10 mins time. We saw the same lady outside work 10 mins later talking to someone. There are two dental practices 5 mins walk in opposite directions. Yeah, stop pulling the wool over our eyes you stupid woman.

Consigliere
I really don't think it matters what title you use for yourself - as long as its appropriate for the situation.

I only use 'Mr' when I am asked for it on forms etc but I do know, well apparently, you can purchase titles and suddenly call yourself Baron or whatever.

Caporegime
old people are used to actual customer service, back in their day you would go outside milk a cow, gather some berries from the fruit aisle and make that bloody yoghurt by hand whilst he watches

Honestly I can't remember the last self entitled person I encountered.

I get more trouble with students making comments.

"has he got nothing better to do than walk around a lake" one woman said to the guy she was with on a bench.

it's like 10pm it's dark, so what? I wanna walk around a lake and get some exercise, I walked past them 4 times big deal....it's not like it's a public space where people go for walks.

not my problem if not many people feel safe enough to do it, so it's seem as "not normal"

grow a pair , I've been walking in the pitch black darkness for decades, never been robbed yet.

and if your going to make comments about people in the pitch black darkness make sure they can't actually hear what you say... because I was so tempted to turn around and start yelling at her

Last edited:
Commissario
What frustrates me a little bit is lack of basic politeness from some people.

I enjoy helping people but it's just that little bit nicer when they say 'please' and 'thank you'.

Soldato
Last week, I held a door open for a mum with a pushchair and another child. She told me she could go through the door with no help. If we meet together again involving a door, I will let go of the door…. To see what happens

Soldato
There is a woman in the local newspaper here that is the Deputy Headmistress of a school, who got so jealous of her boyfriends ex apparently sending lewds to her boyfriend, that she decided to repost them on social media naming her.

She was also at the school gates making the slit throat gesture.

So self absorbed that her natural survival instinct went out the window by her ego.

People like her need to grow up and stop acting like a child. It's scary that shes achieved such a highly trusted position in a school when her judgement is so far off the mark.

Here is a link to the story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/you-dead-you-f-dead-21983769

Soldato
There is a woman in the local newspaper here that is the Deputy Headmistress of a school, who got so jealous of her boyfriends ex apparently sending lewds to her boyfriend, that she decided to repost them on social media naming her.

She was also at the school gates making the slit throat gesture.

So self absorbed that her natural survival instinct went out the window by her ego.

People like her need to grow up and stop acting like a child. It's scary that shes achieved such a highly trusted position in a school when her judgement is so far off the mark.

Here is a link to the story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/you-dead-you-f-dead-21983769

TBF just looking at her eyes you can tell she's a nutjob-in-waiting.

Man of Honour
What frustrates me a little bit is lack of basic politeness from some people.

I enjoy helping people but it's just that little bit nicer when they say 'please' and 'thank you'.

I know exactly what you mean, a few months back, my father-in-law was at our place, along with my wife’s brother.
I made myself a coffee, then gave my father-in-law a cup of tea.
As he thanked me I said to his son, “How about you Steve, do you want a cup?”
He thought for a second, then said, “Go on then.”
I sat down with my coffee and said, “Wrong answer Steve.”
He wasn’t happy, I didn’t care.

Soldato
I know exactly what you mean, a few months back, my father-in-law was at our place, along with my wife’s brother.
I made myself a coffee, then gave my father-in-law a cup of tea.
As he thanked me I said to his son, “How about you Steve, do you want a cup?”
He thought for a second, then said, “Go on then.”
I sat down with my coffee and said, “Wrong answer Steve.”
He wasn’t happy, I didn’t care.

How dare he !! *Clenches fist*

Back
Top Bottom