• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU dilemma (FE vs Aftermarket)

Associate
I'm debating between an O11D with an AIO (Probably Arctic II 360) or a Lancool II with air setup (DRP 4 or NHD15) so I guess you would lean towards the Lancool?

That said I have an existing O11D (not available for use in the new build) that is fully decked out with fans - they're Corsair QL series (I think) so big on looks, not so much on actual airflow but the internal temps stay pretty good. 3 bottom intake, 3 side intake, 3 top exhaust push/pull with an AIO.

An O11D or anything with a mesh front should be ok. I had problems with mine in an Asus Helios because the glass panel in the front was choking the air intake. Was getting over 70 on the core and low 100s on the vram causing the gpu fans to go into hoover mode (1700+ rpm). For reference the stock helios did about the same for thermals as my old Fractal define R4. Took the glass out and now it's essentially the same setup as a Phantek P500. With the case and AIO fans on a curve that tops out at 1100 the gpu fans stay under 1300 which is inaudible over the rest of the system.

The 3090FE is also prone to coil whine if you're pushing high FPS. Mine does it on the few games that I can push 4k >80 fps but it's bearable. If the prices and availabilty hadn't gone nuts I'd be looking at Asus Tuf, MSI Suprim and top end of the Zotac range.

If you're playing at 1440 and can work in 8gb would a 3070 be a cheaper option? I've got a 2080ti that I use for living room couch gaming at 1440. It works fine and it's a lot easier to run than a 3090.

Associate
OP
An O11D or anything with a mesh front should be ok. I had problems with mine in an Asus Helios because the glass panel in the front was choking the air intake. Was getting over 70 on the core and low 100s on the vram causing the gpu fans to go into hoover mode (1700+ rpm). For reference the stock helios did about the same for thermals as my old Fractal define R4. Took the glass out and now it's essentially the same setup as a Phantek P500. With the case and AIO fans on a curve that tops out at 1100 the gpu fans stay under 1300 which is inaudible over the rest of the system.

The 3090FE is also prone to coil whine if you're pushing high FPS. Mine does it on the few games that I can push 4k >80 fps but it's bearable. If the prices and availabilty hadn't gone nuts I'd be looking at Asus Tuf, MSI Suprim and top end of the Zotac range.

If you're playing at 1440 and can work in 8gb would a 3070 be a cheaper option? I've got a 2080ti that I use for living room couch gaming at 1440. It works fine and it's a lot easier to run than a 3090.

My current 2080s is insane for coil whine, I genuinely don't think anything can be louder.

Every PC purchase I've ever made I ended up 'settling' for some lower tier gear that 'would be just as good' and I've not once been happy with that decision. I'm only debating over the 3090/3080ti because of the stock situation. If I trip over an extra 800 quid when I put the bins out later I'll buy an aftermarket 3090 with no qualms.

Associate
My current 2080s is insane for coil whine, I genuinely don't think anything can be louder.

Every PC purchase I've ever made I ended up 'settling' for some lower tier gear that 'would be just as good' and I've not once been happy with that decision. I'm only debating over the 3090/3080ti because of the stock situation. If I trip over an extra 800 quid when I put the bins out later I'll buy an aftermarket 3090 with no qualms.

That's fair. :)

If you're going in with your eyes open then a 3090FE at mrsp isn't a bad choice. Having lived with one I wouldn't go above an extra 300 for an AIB model. The extra vram would let you go nuts in Davinchi Resolve or Blender. Supply might be limited with rumours of a refresh model in the wind.

The 3080ti is kind of a :eek: card in any flavour.

Associate
OP
That's fair. :)

If you're going in with your eyes open then a 3090FE at mrsp isn't a bad choice. Having lived with one I wouldn't go above an extra 300 for an AIB model. The extra vram would let you go nuts in Davinchi Resolve or Blender. Supply might be limited with rumours of a refresh model in the wind.

The 3080ti is kind of a :eek: card in any flavour.

I'm not sure whether that's a good eek or a bad eek - assuming good? It'll sting to pay over the odds and get an aftermarket model but it might be worth it to bin off my 2080s.

Associate
I'm not sure whether that's a good eek or a bad eek - assuming good? It'll sting to pay over the odds and get an aftermarket model but it might be worth it to bin off my 2080s.
+1 here @newuser what's wrong with the 80ti? You mean, just in terms of performance per £? If you're between a £1050 3080 Ti FE or a ~>£1000 3080 AIB, I'd easily choose the former

Associate
It's been at least 6 weeks since the last 3090 FE notification - I'm kinda concerned I'll be at work and miss it, or (very likely) my bank blocks the transaction and causes me to miss.

Edit. That's for a UK drop, though. I was kind of wary of going in on any of the EU drops incase I get slapped at customs for VAT.

NL and DE dropped today, so hopefully UK in the next week too?

Soldato
Update & tl;dr

So Ampere power management is retroactive (damage is done before it adjusts), average based (so it misses transient spikes), and the OCP is set to an absurd level that can't trigger before components go nuclear, so all of that means most of the card's failsafes technically don't exist.

Associate

That's a - they're good cards but they want a lot of money for the AIB models. ;)

Permabanned
I'm planning a new 5900x build - 2k gaming, streaming, and video editing. No mining.

I want a 3090, but given the aftermarket prices are ludicrous I've been sat waiting on FE PartAlert for an FE card.

However I've started to read about people having to mod the FE cards to get reasonable temps - something I'm unwilling to do. Additionally it's been at least 6 weeks since a UK drop of the 3090 FE.

So I'm considering an aftermarket 3080ti. It'll suck paying £200~ more for a lower class card, but won't really hurt me. It will also be possible to actually buy one, and I won't need (in theory) have to modify the card and void the warranty to get it to run at ok temps.

I figure in terms of practical performance there is probably very little in it - I don't mine and don't plan on 4k gaming so the extra VRAM is not all that, and most of the benchmarks I've looked up only put the 3090 a few % ahead of the 3080ti in games.

Any input on this? By going with the 3080ti I'm knowingly getting myself scalped out of £200~, but I can definitely get it and shouldn't have to mod it which is almost worth it. That said the 3090 FE will probably hold its value more.

AIB is the way to go with thermals.
Pull the trigger on one of these, only 4 left! Free delivery ;)

https://store.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-3080-ti
desktop.jpg

Soldato
Sorry for jumping on, but does anyone have any solid guides for undervolting "with curves"?

I have previously dropped power using MSI afterburner, but interested in the possibility of dropping voltage to run cooler, quieter and perhaps even fps boost...

Associate
OP
AIB is the way to go with thermals.
Pull the trigger on one of these, only 4 left! Free delivery ;)

I would love to pick up a Strix - but literally double the cost of the FE is actually too much. Cheapest one of those options is 165% of the RRP of an FE.

Soldato
FE if you can get it.

3080 or 3090.

3080ti is an odd one. But then so is the 3090fe when you think about it (need dependant)

I'm glad I held out for the unicorn. Best deal out there. I'll be waiting for 4k until I upgrade though I get that.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My order preference for FE drops would be:

3080 > 3090 > 3080Ti

As said earlier but also reiterated by me (a biased miner) you would be quite silly not to mine on these cards when not using them (i.e. sleeping, working) when there is a massive Bull market on and they are earning ~£5 a day after electric. This will heavily subsidise such a purchase and to boot in the winter give you free room heating (turn off the radiator).

Permabanned
My order preference for FE drops would be:

3080 > 3090 > 3080Ti

As said earlier but also reiterated by me (a biased miner) you would be quite silly not to mine on these cards when not using them (i.e. sleeping, working) when there is a massive Bull market on and they are earning ~£5 a day after electric. This will heavily subsidise such a purchase and to boot in the winter give you free room heating (turn off the radiator).

The OP said he wants to buy a cool running GPU for gaming 6900XT is a good deal right now, they come water-cooled as well, can run 4k easily.

OcUK are doing offers on them as well, 15% off and Free Delivery

Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT Extreme Toxic Watercooled 16GB GDDR6 :rolleyes:
https://store.overclockers.co.uk/sa...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39m-sp.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom