Black screen

Associate
when i log into my account on my laptop i get a black screen for about 3 minutes before i see the normally screen. if i log into a different account on the same machine. i get straight to the normally screen.

any ideas why on my main account it sit at a black screen for so long after i log in (i can see the mouse pointer move)

Soldato
Could be a corrupt profile.

Or it could be something you installed. You know sometimes you are asked to install for this account or for anyone who uses the computer.

Try rebooting in safe mode and login with your main account. See what happens. If it logs in fine then it's definitely something you have installed that's slowing the login process down.

Associate
OP
it my old laptop which i give to my nice, it her account that acting odd, when i log in with my account it runs fine, also if i take the SSD out and put it in my new laptop (a newer ver of the old one) her account starts up fast again.
have followed a number of guides on fixing it and the nearest that comes close to fixing it is deleting the iconcache files. bt after a few restarts it back to taking ages to get into wins

Man of Honour
Most common reasons for slow loading are drivers (probably not an issue if other accounts are OK), mapped network drives which are unresponsive, certain tiled wallpapers can cause a glitch with older versions of Windows but I think that problem doesn't exist in 10 onwards. Filesystem errors (check event viewer).

Task manager in 8 onwards can also show the impact of start up items which might give some clue.

Other things which might be worth trying are disabling/toggling fast startup and manually resetting the hibernation file.

Could also try a boot trace with the Windows Performance Toolkit but that is beyond the scope of a simple post.

Back
Top Bottom