Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
New ETA for stock of 27GP950 is Late December. With how busy freight is gonna be that could very easily fall into Jan 2022.
Sailing ships would be faster than this modern "logistics"...

Really have to wonder are they stealing monitors straight from rear yard of factory when nothing seems to come to Europe.

Associate
So I've just bit the bullet on a Gigabyte M32U, to fill the gap left by the 27GP950 I returned.

I was contemplating waiting for the PG32UQ, but ASUS have said nothing about when it will be released, it's likely to be £850 and the reports of it having pretty poor response times have swayed me. Also the M32U had a decent review from Rtings.

Soldato
iirc I was told some of the delays earlier in the year (on this or the 27GN950 SKU, memory fails me), were down to railway logistics going wrong!
Darn railroads having too many intersections making train drivers to forget where to go and take wrong turns... :p

Whole availability from manufacturers situation reminds me about state of the largest Finnish PC forum after being bought by Finland's biggest ISP from site's founder:
Forum search was "temporarily" disabled like five/forgot how many years (untill next buyer) and forum had frequent various length hiccups every single day.
Guess that inspired signature of one member...
It's not easy to translate, but it basically meant something like "There's temporary service in the interruption"...
With interruption being the inferred normal state and turning around the normal "service having temporary interruption". :D

Associate
So now I've tried Insignia VESA certified cable and Club3d's VESA certified cable. Each 3M long. Still having black screen issues.

edit:

1. AFAIK, literally 100% of monitors (across all brands) using DSC right now cause a 3s delay when alt tabbing out of a full screen game. When it comes to random black screens, that's still mostly 27gp950 getting the blame, with only isolated report(s) from m28u.
  2. It seems like using HDMI fixes the random black screen issue but limits refresh rate to 120hz because of some dumb reason. Also, going to DP1.4 non-DSC 120hz mode fixes the alt tab issue and probably the random black screen issue. If DSC is the issue it makes sense if both DP1.4 non DSC and HDMI lead to both no black screen when alt tabbing and no random black screens.
  3. I and others have contacted LG. LG took my details and said they will send the info to engineering. When I followed up, and when somebody in a LG review on their site asked if anybody else had the problem, the rep said no, they never got such a report. Somehow, this issue is not getting out. Perhaps everyone should file a ticket to get them aware of it. You can also leave a negative review to warn others and maybe get LG's attention. (You can drop a review on LG's website.)

Last edited:
Associate
So now I've tried Insignia VESA certified cable and Club3d's VESA certified cable. Each 3M long. Still having black screen issues.

edit:

1. AFAIK, literally 100% of monitors (across all brands) using DSC right now cause a 3s delay when alt tabbing out of a full screen game. When it comes to random black screens, that's still mostly 27gp950 getting the blame, with only isolated report(s) from m28u.
  2. It seems like using HDMI fixes the random black screen issue but limits refresh rate to 120hz because of some dumb reason. Also, going to DP1.4 non-DSC 120hz mode fixes the alt tab issue and probably the random black screen issue. If DSC is the issue it makes sense if both DP1.4 non DSC and HDMI lead to both no black screen when alt tabbing and no random black screens.
  3. I and others have contacted LG. LG took my details and said they will send the info to engineering. When I followed up, and when somebody in a LG review on their site asked if anybody else had the problem, the rep said no, they never got such a report. Somehow, this issue is not getting out. Perhaps everyone should file a ticket to get them aware of it. You can also leave a negative review to warn others and maybe get LG's attention. (You can drop a review on LG's website.)
2. HDMI doesn't have the capability/bandwidth to do more than 4k120hz. Turning off DSC does not fix the black screen issues, lots of people here (myself included) use cards like 1080ti that can only do DP 1.4 (no dsc) and still have the issues.
3. I tried to leave a negative review here at OCUK and its not there. Are you saying to also add one to LG's site?

Associate
Further Update:
Screen just returned to me now. It took almost a month in total for this to be done.
So far, its still annoying as hell to have all windows move to my other screen during standby/wake -_-
But I asked the guy what repair was done and he said that the display was replaced only. So I am still half expecting there to be black screen issues... But will be testing over the weekend to see how it goes.

Associate

Nope - I have a different brand's monitor at 4k 144hz using DSC and have zero delay when alt-tabbing fullscreen games. Just tested it and alt-tabbing was instant. There are issues with irrecoverable greyscreens if using DSC and refresh rates are either at the bottom of the range (1fps) or top of the range (144fps) in some games, but that's not the same issue as is seen with these screens' blackscreen issues.

Associate
Further Update:
Screen just returned to me now. It took almost a month in total for this to be done.
So far, its still annoying as hell to have all windows move to my other screen during standby/wake -_-
But I asked the guy what repair was done and he said that the display was replaced only. So I am still half expecting there to be black screen issues... But will be testing over the weekend to see how it goes.

Had 2 blank screens this afternoon already... trying out the Club3D cable. If no improvement over the weekend, it's back onto LG on Monday I guess!

Associate
A user on reddit wrote this about how he fixed black screen /So I've been having this issue as well, and for some reason Fallout 76 seemed to really exacerbate it today. I won't bore you with how I came to this conclusion/solution, but for me I turned off the LG On Screen Control software; just completely killed the process, and the flickering just... Ceased. If you're using that software, it might be worth a try to do this and see what you get.

Associate
sounds like a different issue to me, the blank screen thing isn't flickering, more of a "temporary drop in picture", I don't run the LG software at any other time than for checking for updates either :S

Soldato
A user on reddit wrote this about how he fixed black screen /So I've been having this issue as well, and for some reason Fallout 76 seemed to really exacerbate it today. I won't bore you with how I came to this conclusion/solution, but for me I turned off the LG On Screen Control software; just completely killed the process, and the flickering just... Ceased. If you're using that software, it might be worth a try to do this and see what you get.

Do you have the Windows 100 version installed?

I might have to give this a try but I am sure I did have black screens before I installed these software.

Back
Top Bottom