• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Caporegime
OP
To expand on that X86 isn't going anywhere long term but but it will shrink with large internet of things providers looking to make their own custom ARM designs, ARM its self and AMD eating in to Intel's market shares its becoming an increasingly unreliable source of revenue, Intel got to where they are from 90%+ CPU market share.

In the blink of an eye that could be down to 60% share on much reduced margins, and it wont stop there, Intel must and i think have realised their grip on CPU's markets is already slipping away and it will keep slipping away, this is not 2002 there is nothing they can do about it.

Associate
To expand on that X86 isn't going anywhere long term but but it will shrink with large internet of things providers looking to make their own custom ARM designs, ARM its self and AMD eating in to Intel's market shares its becoming an increasingly unreliable source of revenue, Intel got to where they are from 90%+ CPU market share.

In the blink of an eye that could be down to 60% share on much reduced margins, and it wont stop there, Intel must and i think have realised their grip on CPU's markets is already slipping away and it will keep slipping away, this is not 2002 there is nothing they can do about it.

Looks like we're back to exciting technological times, I just wish it wasn't so heavy on the wallet!

Caporegime
OP
ADL itself could be seen as their first step towards heterogeneous architectures, imagine x86+ARM (or risc V!) mixed cores CPUs, with the future keeping an X86 "chiplet" or "tile" for compatibility and other cores for performance.

The may call it a heterogeneous architecture but its not, not really, at least not yet, i know this is where they are heading and they keep talking like they are already there but they really arent.

AMD did it a decade ago, but no one was interested. Maybe now its time has come.

zcVht6n.png

z2bBZzK.png

qi1yKiH.png

tPM1Qli.png

Associate
That's why I said "first step towards". They are still mixing x86 cores with a slightly different instruction set.
A baby step if you may define it like that, but still a step.

I'm reasonably confident AMD will win the next CPU round with zen 3D, however this will let a first round of software optimization towards mixed architectures (and heck, Android emulation within Windows is the other massive step with Windows 11).

Let competition bring us new and exciting tech, no matter from where!

Caporegime
OP
Financials are in.

2021 Q3 Revenue: $4.31 Billion.
Gross profit: $2.086 Billion.
Margin: 48%
Operating expenses: $1.41 Billion
Operating income: $948 Million

Revenue was up 54 percent year-over-year and 12 percent quarter-over-quarter driven by higher revenue in both the Computing and Graphics segment and Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment.

AMD saw increased adoption of AMD EPYC processors in the third quarter.
  • Argonne National Labs selected AMD EPYC processors to power a new supercomputer, known as Polaris, to allow scientists and developers to test and optimize software codes and applications for AI, engineering, and scientific projects.
  • Google Cloud announced the public preview of N2D Virtual Machines powered by AMD EPYC™ 7003 Series processors.
  • AMD announced that 2nd Gen AMD EPYC CPUs and AMD Radeon Pro V520 GPUs will power new sizes for Amazon EC2 G4ad instances, giving customers the flexibility to provision resources on demand, as needs dictate, rather than being limited to their inventory of physical, on-premise hardware.
  • Cloudflare chose 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors for its 11th Gen servers, which power the company’s DNS network.
  • Customer adoption of Ryzen processors expanded, with Lenovo starting shipments of the Ryzen-based Thinkbook and Thinkpad E series business laptops featuring Windows 11 , Lenovo announcing the Ryzen-powered Yoga Slim 7 Carbon and Yoga Slim 7 Pro, HP releasing two AiO devices with Ryzen processors and ASUS unveiling the Ryzen 5000 Series-based Zenbook, Zenbook PRO, ProArt StudioBook and VivoBook.
  • AMD launched Ryzen 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors with Radeon Graphics, bringing high-performance integrated graphics and powerful features to satisfy the most demanding gamers, creators and enthusiasts.
  • AMD launched the Radeon RX 6600 XT graphics card, designed to deliver high-framerate, high-fidelity 1080p gaming experiences. Built on breakthrough AMD RDNA™ 2 gaming architecture, the graphics card offers on average 11 percent higher gaming performance with Smart Access Memory enabled across a range of popular titles compared to the competition.
  • AMD announced availability of the Radeon PRO W6000X series GPUs for Mac Pro, harnessing the high-performance AMD RDNA 2 architecture, AMD Infinity Cache and other advanced technologies to power demanding professional design and content creation workloads.
  • AMD was named by Forbes as one of the World’s Best Employers of 2021.
  • AMD announced its 26th annual Corporate Responsibility Report highlighting AMD’s accomplishments from the previous year and unveiling new goals through 2025 and 2030, including a new goal to increase energy efficiency of processors running AI training and high performance computing applications 30x by 2025.

https://ir.amd.com/financial-information

Permabanned
The CEO is doing a terrible job with regards to the Graphics cards' availability and prices.

The Ryzen 9 5950X (or 5900X, for that matter) is plenty in supply, they simply don't sell as fast as they are being produced.

And there is literally no normal supply of Navi 21 chips for the Radeon RX 6800 / 6900 cards.

Soldato
The CEO is doing a terrible job with regards to the Graphics cards' availability and prices.

The Ryzen 9 5950X (or 5900X, for that matter) is plenty in supply, they simply don't sell as fast as they are being produced.

And there is literally no normal supply of Navi 21 chips for the Radeon RX 6800 / 6900 cards.

I see lots of stock for AMD GPU's, having checked OCUK just now. Compare the 6000 series overall to the RTX 3000s series on OCUK - the difference is night and day.

Nvidia GPU's are just more popular.

Personally, I need to see AMD executing as well as they have been for the RX6000 series, for another two generations, before I'd risk swapping back from Nvidia. The RX6000 series appears to have been the best launch for a long time for AMD - no major or minitor HW issues, driver issues, no black screen/flickering issues etc. Very solid launch.
If AMD repeat this for the 7000 series, they'll gladually win back trust and thier market share will take off.

Soldato
I see lots of stock for AMD GPU's, having checked OCUK just now. Compare the 6000 series overall to the RTX 3000s series on OCUK - the difference is night and day.

Nvidia GPU's are just more popular.

Personally, I need to see AMD executing as well as they have been for the RX6000 series, for another two generations, before I'd risk swapping back from Nvidia. The RX6000 series appears to have been the best launch for a long time for AMD - no major or minitor HW issues, driver issues, no black screen/flickering issues etc. Very solid launch.
If AMD repeat this for the 7000 series, they'll gladually win back trust and thier market share will take off.

I don’t think AMD are seeking your trust Dave.

Associate
It's crazy to think that AMD shares were $1.75 or thereabouts a few years back.
$2.70 in April 2016 equivalent £2.00
Today £100
with the Xilinx deal expected to close at anytime much more is expected. Suprised to see Intel still red today. Especially on launch day.

Back
Top Bottom