GeForce NOW RTX 3080

Associate
OP
It connects to your game accounts like Steam and the Epic store for example and lets you stream your games (if supported) on their hardware. You won't need to buy the games a second time like with Stadia. I'm going to give it a try when it releases here.

There is a free version if you want to give it a try though it only supports 1080p. It's pretty cool I think.

Soldato
I use it in the living room on my nvidia Shield Pro as no matter what I try Steam Link runs like dog poo. Technically it's a downgrade for me as my PC is based around a 5900x and a RTX 3090 but it fills a gap since I sold my PS5 and I can't always be bothered sitting at my desk to play games after being there all day doing work.

Yes it only allows you to run your own games, and even then only those that are supported and that you've bought on the correct launcher.

From my experience latency on a cabled connection from the router is bad on the free tier but better on the premium tier to the point that often it's hardly noticeable. I can play a shooter like Destiny 2 for example with no issues but would still struggle with something like Sekiro. Games like Hitman 3, Disco Elysium or strategy games are ideal for it.

Also, they currently only stream at 1080p and often at reduced graphic settings.

I've signed up for 6 months of RTX3080 when it's available as it'll stream at 4k60 though the Shield and they promise further reduced latency but if it's not any better then I'll be buying another PS5. That said, RTX 3080 is coming in at £15 a month so it's a bit steep but I can buy PC games for a fraction of the cost of PS5 games so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Edit: Game progress also transfers between Geforce Now and your PC so I can move between systems and pick up where I left off.

Soldato
I use it in the living room on my nvidia Shield Pro as no matter what I try Steam Link runs like dog poo. Technically it's a downgrade for me as my PC is based around a 5900x and a RTX 3090 but it fills a gap since I sold my PS5 and I can't always be bothered sitting at my desk to play games after being there all day doing work.
You can sell your 5900x + 3090 and get two awesome rigs 5600x + 3080 for your living room and desk ;)

Soldato
It connects to your game accounts like Steam and the Epic store for example and lets you stream your games (if supported) on their hardware. You won't need to buy the games a second time like with Stadia. I'm going to give it a try when it releases here.

There is a free version if you want to give it a try though it only supports 1080p. It's pretty cool I think.

yeah it looks like 720p though or worse. Okay if you want to play stuff on a laptop without a dedicated GPU but its a bit poor. I use it sometimes with my ahem work laptop as you dont need to install the software you can run it in a browser window.

They were giving a years worth away with certain graphics cards when it came out.

Now they are basically making you pay for the quality you should have got on the basic £89.99 a year package by sticking a GTX 3080 in their servers and giving you proper 1080p gaming and charging you more on top again. Typical Nvidia charging you for something that should be free because they couldnt provide what they claimed.

So now you know where all the 3080 FE's have gone in the Geforce Now servers !

Soldato
You can sell your 5900x + 3090 and get two awesome rigs 5600x + 3080 for your living room and desk ;)
Don't be silly. I'm not wasting my time with such a mediocre machine as that. :D

Actually, truth be told I bought the 3090 FE as I couldn't get anything else at the time not realising that it meant I'd not be able to order a 3080 later which is what I was really after. Now I've built the PC though I absolutely love it and it's going nowhere. I'll get ten years out of this at least and then hand it down to the kids.

My biggest mistake was thinking that streaming from the PC to the living room would work better but I'll be sorting that soon with a 20m cable ran under the floor from the PC to the living room TV.

Soldato

Did you try Moonlight?

Back
Top Bottom