Road Bike for £500

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking at picking up a road bike for a bit of additional exercise on top of just running.

Is there anything you would recommend in this price range and possibly even lower?
I've seen the Triban from Decathlon gets pretty decent reviews.

Also, I've looked at second hand but not sure if bikes are being valued well by the sellers, for example I've seen a nice looking Cannondale Caad8 for £300. Is that price reasonable for a bike of that age?

Thanks.

Soldato
Bike pricing is utterly bonkers at the moment (much like GPUs etc)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come by but my crude bit of research has lead me to believe, rightly or wrongly, that a £500 road bike wouldn't be worth you spending your cash on

Caporegime
I'd have the boardman before the Triban, but really it's a case of whats in stock for the price and not whats best at the moment.

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking at picking up a road bike for a bit of additional exercise on top of just running.

Is there anything you would recommend in this price range and possibly even lower?
I've seen the Triban from Decathlon gets pretty decent reviews.

Also, I've looked at second hand but not sure if bikes are being valued well by the sellers, for example I've seen a nice looking Cannondale Caad8 for £300. Is that price reasonable for a bike of that age?

Thanks.
Depends on year and groupset (gears) CAAD8 came out in 2012, whats year/spec of the one you have seen?

Soldato
I've recently been in a similar position (even down to wanting something to offset how much i'm running) and agree it's difficult. Some advice i got in another thread is that the prices are what they are, if they're inflated from where they were 18 months ago that's just how it is. May be worth reading the last few pages of the Road Cycling thread where i ask lots of stupid questions.

I ended up with a used bike with the knowledge that some parts would need replacing (it was priced accordingly i think). I suppose it comes down to what you want, if you just want something that works then something like that Triban or the Pinnacle Laterite from Evans is likely to be more than enough for you to get around.

If you're happy to tinker and possibly get more into cycling and want something that may be "technically" better, then something like that Cannondale/Specialized Allez would be great, but be aware it may need some servicing to get it working properly if it's been stored in a shed for years.

As another tip i was given, don't get too hung up on disc brakes vs rim brakes. The cheaper disc brakes may end up being worse than a well setup rim alternative, although they seem to have been more in favour for a while.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the Boardman suggestion, I'll try and see what stock is like near me.

Depends on year and groupset (gears) CAAD8 came out in 2012, whats year/spec of the one you have seen?

This is what is listed on the post:
Bike is very good condition with minor scratch/scuff as on photo displayed
Shimano RS 11 rear wheel and maddux R3. 0 front wheel.
Promax and Tiagra brakes Sora shifters, chainset, and derailleurs.
Shimano Spd Pedals Shewalbe marathon plus 700X28 new tyres Cannondale saddle.

I'm not really in the loop with all this stuff so not sure if thats worth the price being asked (Currently £350).

Soldato
Thanks for the Boardman suggestion, I'll try and see what stock is like near me.

This is what is listed on the post:
Bike is very good condition with minor scratch/scuff as on photo displayed
Shimano RS 11 rear wheel and maddux R3. 0 front wheel.
Promax and Tiagra brakes Sora shifters, chainset, and derailleurs.
Shimano Spd Pedals Shewalbe marathon plus 700X28 new tyres Cannondale saddle.

I'm not really in the loop with all this stuff so not sure if thats worth the price being asked (Currently £350).
£700 when it came out, rear wheel has been changed at some point due to damage i would assume, usually solid bikes though.

Soldato
Bought the missus a Triban RC120 in the spring to get her into road biking. It's an amazing bike for the price, I've taken it out a few times on 30 mile plus rides and it's a great ride.

Back
Top Bottom