*** Sony Xperia PRO-I *** Camera phone on steroids

Soldato
Having recently left Xperia train can't say I'm overly excited about this given their computational photography. As others say, for such a price I would personally rather get a flagship phone and a camera on top to supplement each other.

From strictly technological point of view this is mindly exciting though that we're starting to get such big sensors in phones now so good on Sony for pushing the envelope in that respect.

Associate
OP
Hmm...despite starting this thread, my hype is admittedly tempered somewhat by the news that it's not using the full sensor, so it's quite comparable to the Pixel 6 in that regard.

I still admire what Sony do in offering a headphone jack with good DAC, microSD slot, front facing speakers, notch-less design and a physical camera shutter button, all of which I absolutely love, but the ~£1700 or however this ends up being is a bit hard to swallow. I'd happily settle for the Xperia 1 III though, which still has all those minus the fancy camera.

Soldato
Hmm...despite starting this thread, my hype is admittedly tempered somewhat by the news that it's not using the full sensor, so it's quite comparable to the Pixel 6 in that regard.

I still admire what Sony do in offering a headphone jack with good DAC, microSD slot, front facing speakers, notch-less design and a physical camera shutter button, all of which I absolutely love, but the ~£1700 or however this ends up being is a bit hard to swallow. I'd happily settle for the Xperia 1 III though, which still has all those minus the fancy camera.

Which their own Xperia 1 and 5 III offer for considerably less too, to be honest I'm pretty gutted that I had to get rid of Xperia 5 II I which was a perfect phone on paper for me but usability and software just wasn't quite there for me.

Associate
They should have added a focus dial on the top.

Also hope it comes out in different colours. The matte black makes it look like a cheap Chinese junk phone. For that price it should at least look premium, with a metal edge and high gloss back panel.

I kinda wanna buy it... but in a colour other than cheap black, though I have a feeling it will be buggy. Some of the older Xperias have been annoying and go out of date fast.

Soldato
MKBHD's review of this phone is a really good watch.
Explains the sensor and the crop being used visually which is helpful.

Soldato
While the Sony does give more natural photos unfortunately the usual person will prefer the over processed look. But then again, this phone seems more aimed at photographers who knows what they're doing with the extra camera controls.

Shame it can't use the whole sensor but I guess there's only so much you can fit in with such a thin space.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't mind some kind of true successor to the Nokia Pureview 808, huge camera bump, xenon flash and all. Absolutely uncompromised, no-holes-barred camera phone. Yes please.

Back
Top Bottom